What advantage is there for using a custom firmware on the GS2?

phrostbyte

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Which ones do you use and why? I'm a new Android user... but not a new Linux user. I don't understand what the advantage of a custom firmware is. I've recently switched from BlackBerry so I can use this great open source OS.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: What advantage is there for using a custom firmware on the GS

1. A pure android experience (no touchwiz)

2. A custom android experience (alternative launchers, skins etc..)

3. More up2date kernel (2.3.4 vs 2.3.3), faster updates

4. No vendor bloatware (pre-installed samsung apps)

That's just the usual reason I've read/heard. Personally the only one that might make me go to a custom rom is #3. I'm perfectly happy with touchwiz and the samsung apps (they don't get in the way or are useful).

phrostbyte

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

What do you mean by "a purer android experience"? What's TouchWiz? About battery life... that's definitely a plus. The battery on this thing is terrible (all the reviews I read mentioned like 12 hours of normal use). 12 hours would be great. I can't even get 6 out of mine. I ordered a desktop dock w/ extra battery.

Also... custom launchers and themes? Can't I do that with the standard firmware? Also.. newer firmware? I have 2.3.3 and know that 2.3.5 is out already.. whenever I click on "check for updates" it says no updates available... why is that? This happens both when I check on Cellcom Israel and AT&T USA.... strange

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

TouchWiz is what Samsung phones run on, Go to your market app and search for launchers, Try out some free ones and you will see the difference on having TouchWiz and not... Pure Android is your phone running Google's own launcher.

Look up Nexus and Nexus S and you should find some videos on how it looks to compare it to how your phones looks and operates.

In order to run "custom launchers and themes" you need to ROOT (unlock) your phone to gain full access. This will allow you to install these "custom" programs....
NOTE ROOTING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE AND VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY!!!
I might be off on some things but not by much if I am... If like me when i got my phone last year your new to android and don't really know much about this stuff your very best friend is research and reading. Ask your Questions but do you research. I have learned alot here from reading and searching. AC is a great source for information... Good luck and enjoy your new phone.. Can't wait for Sprint to get it....

phrostbyte

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I've done research but I can't find much on the Galaxy 2 and custom firmwares. Is anyone running CM7 on the galaxy 2? Thoughts? I'm trying to decide if I should bother with it or not...I've always been the type to tinker with my software (been running desktop Linux for about 5 years now). Also updated the OS on my BlackBerry phones a lot too.... I'd like to hear from someone that's attempted this before.

robsw

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I've done research but I can't find much on the Galaxy 2 and custom firmwares. Is anyone running CM7 on the galaxy 2? Thoughts? I'm trying to decide if I should bother with it or not...I've always been the type to tinker with my software (been running desktop Linux for about 5 years now). Also updated the OS on my BlackBerry phones a lot too.... I'd like to hear from someone that's attempted this before.

CM7 is up and running for the GS2 but still is missing some functionality due to hardware that uses proprietary drivers that have to be reverse engineered by Team Hacksung. From my perspective the key missing feature is bluetooth audio, since I live in an area with strong hands free laws. Otherwise, it seems to be working fine as a daily driver for most.

phrostbyte

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

CM7 is up and running for the GS2 but still is missing some functionality due to hardware that uses proprietary drivers that have to be reverse engineered by Team Hacksung. From my perspective the key missing feature is bluetooth audio, since I live in an area with strong hands free laws. Otherwise, it seems to be working fine as a daily driver for most.

Sounds good so far.... I think I might try installing it today. Any other tips you might have for me? I see that there is no stable build for the SGSII yet.... only nightlies. CM7 doesn't auto-update itself does it? I would theoretically need to redownload the nightly every night in order to be always up to date right? Thanks again!:D

robsw

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Sounds good so far.... I think I might try installing it today. Any other tips you might have for me? I see that there is no stable build for the SGSII yet.... only nightlies. CM7 doesn't auto-update itself does it? I would theoretically need to redownload the nightly every night in order to be always up to date right? Thanks again!:D

That's correct. There is a build every night, whether or not there are changes - assuming the build system is working. The decision on updating though is yours.