How resilient is the glass to scratches?

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered an S10 5G ($450 from Amazon Renewed with 90-day warranty). Interestingly, when you go to purchase they ask if you want an Asurion Protection Plan for $7.49 month which covers everything except theft/intentional damage and there's a $39/$59 charge depending on how you get it repaired (through them or reimbursed) and $129 for full device replacement. Interestingly, You can buy $450-$499 protection plan outright on Amazon for the same company for $57.99 for a 3-year plan. A lot cheaper than 36 X $7.49 = $269. And this is crazy, the details and Asurion confirmed in the questions section on Amazon this has no $39/$59/$129 deductible!! Can't believe it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASURION-Port...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6869430

Anyway, on to my question. The largest device I've used so far is an LG V30 (6" screen) This S10 5G is a big boy, 6.7" screen, larger than the S10+. I always get the thinnest case possible that just barely allows for the screen to not touch the surface if I set the phone down screen side down. I've never cracked a screen in about 12 phones over 25 years (yes, I'm 51 years old, had the first Samsung Windows CE Smartphone WAY back in the day.) But it can always happens especially on these slipper curved screen phones.

My question is, how scratch prone is the Gorilla Glass 6 used on the front/back of the phone. I've always got top dollar on Ebay on all my old phones because they look brand new since they always had a case. I do get the screen protectors also but frankly, as many of you know, this really only protects effectively against scratches and the shock from dropping the screen on a non-perfectly flat surface in many cases cracks the screen underneath. It still helps without adding bulk to the phone.

There's always "skins" but they are very hard to apply well and the corners usually start to peel and it can be had to find clear skins. Coincidentally though, the best feeling screen protector I ever used was a "military grade" film and not a glass screen protector. Never showed a single scratch and added less bulk to the top of the screen and was just as smooth feeling as the glass. Was amazing! Can't remember the brand.

So after that long story, my question is, for those of you using your S10's for a while without a case, how well does the glass hold up to getting little surface scratches? I'm considering, with this warranty, and considering how large the phone is, to forego a case.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered an S10 5G ($450 from Amazon Renewed with 90-day warranty). Interestingly, when you go to purchase they ask if you want an Asurion Protection Plan for $7.49 month which covers everything except theft/intentional damage and there's a $39/$59 charge depending on how you get it repaired (through them or reimbursed) and $129 for full device replacement. Interestingly, You can buy $450-$499 protection plan outright on Amazon for the same company for $57.99 for a 3-year plan. A lot cheaper than 36 X $7.49 = $269. And this is crazy, the details and Asurion confirmed in the questions section on Amazon this has no $39/$59/$129 deductible!! Can't believe it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASURION-Port...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6869455

Anyway, on to my question. The largest device I've used so far is an LG V30 (6" screen) This S10 5G is a big boy, 6.7" screen, larger than the S10+. I always get the thinnest case possible that just barely allows for the screen to not touch the surface if I set the phone down screen side down. I've never cracked a screen in about 12 phones over 25 years (yes, I'm 51 years old, had the first Samsung Windows CE Smartphone WAY back in the day.) But it can always happens especially on these slipper curved screen phones.

My question is, how scratch prone is the Gorilla Glass 6 used on the front/back of the phone. I've always got top dollar on Ebay on all my old phones because they look brand new since they always had a case. I do get the screen protectors also but frankly, as many of you know, this really only protects effectively against scratches and the shock from dropping the screen on a non-perfectly flat surface in many cases cracks the screen underneath. It still helps without adding bulk to the phone.

There's always "skins" but they are very hard to apply well and the corners usually start to peel and it can be had to find clear skins. Coincidentally though, the best feeling screen protector I ever used was a "military grade" film and not a glass screen protector. Never showed a single scratch and added less bulk to the top of the screen and was just as smooth feeling as the glass. Was amazing! Can't remember the brand.

So after that long story, my question is, for those of you using your S10's for a while without a case, how well does the glass hold up to getting little surface scratches? I'm considering, with this warranty, and considering how large the phone is, to forego a case.
There is no guarantee that your screen won't scratch regardless of how well someone else does. I always use and recommend a screen protector to prevent scratches because I have had devices scratch without it by putting the device either in a pocket or bag. Do a search for the Jerry Rig Everything Video of you are interested in scratch tests.
The issue with screen protectors is not all are compatible with the Samsung FPS. Mostly the glass ones that are not full adhesive seem to be the issue. Whitestone Dome is one of the most compatible glass ones. If you're only look looking for scratch protection the plastic film type are pretty good.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I very rarely put my phone down, screen side down. Screen protector (a compatible one) of some type is probably a no-brainer. So I guess what I'm really interested in is people's experience with the back glass that aren't using cases?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting a screen protector for your phone. My mom just got her S10 maybe a month and a half ago (without a screen protector), and is always very careful with her phones; and yet she has a small scratch on her display already.

You can barely see it unless you look for it, but I do think investing in a screen protector would be a wise idea.

Edit: Unfortunately, both my mother and I use cases on our phones so I cannot speak to the durability of the back glass... But I'd still recommend getting even a thin case, to protect your device from surface scratches.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'll definitely get a screen protector of course. Just wondering if there's anything out there now to put on the back as it's the same glass as the screen I believe. I very rarely have dropped my phone so I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if I got the phone edges a little scratched but the phone is almost always laying on its back so that backside it going to get way more potential wear than the screen.

Unfortunately, what I'm finding on Amazon is this may be one of the hardest models phones to shop for. Seems most people have the S10 or S10+ and because the S10 5G was so damn expensive when it came out, not many people own one to the point a lot of the titles of the amazon items specifically say 'DOES NOT FIT 6.7" S10 5G'

The Whitstone Dome protector is $45. OUCH!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I very rarely put my phone down, screen side down. Screen protector (a compatible one) of some type is probably a no-brainer. So I guess what I'm really interested in is people's experience with the back glass that aren't using cases?
If you're not using a case it can be easily scratched. A skin or an Ultra thin minimalist case similar to Peel or Totalee would be recommended, however I don't know if they make case for your device.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You will definitely want some kind of cover for the back. The glass is too slippery. I have a back cover, very thin, and nothing on the front and have no issues for many months. Before the cover for the back I was always dropping the phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'll definitely get a screen protector of course. Just wondering if there's anything out there now to put on the back as it's the same glass as the screen I believe. I very rarely have dropped my phone so I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if I got the phone edges a little scratched but the phone is almost always laying on its back so that backside it going to get way more potential wear than the screen.

Unfortunately, what I'm finding on Amazon is this may be one of the hardest models phones to shop for. Seems most people have the S10 or S10+ and because the S10 5G was so damn expensive when it came out, not many people own one to the point a lot of the titles of the amazon items specifically say 'DOES NOT FIT 6.7" S10 5G'

The Whitstone Dome protector is $45. OUCH!

Yes, it's very hard to accessorize the S10 line, especially the 5G model. It's been a difficult time for me to grab screen protectors for my S10. I haven't seen much of anything for the S10 5G.

Yes, the Whitestone Dome screen protector is expensive! Some users have used it on their S10 devices and it has begun to Peel after a few weeks.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Here's my use case. My S10 has been naked since July 2019. Only have the RhinoShield protecting the sides, plus it gives just enough space away from the curved sides.

No scratches front or back. Daily usage is home office environment, when out and about, it goes into my jeans, trousers, front or back pocket. Occasional fishing trips it goes in front chest pocket with a lanyard. Have also had a few beach trips, no special case but were careful to not get sand on phone. So far so good.

With that said, I would feel better with a screen protector so I don't have to be as careful.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's my use case. My S10 has been naked since July 2019. Only have the RhinoShield protecting the sides, plus it gives just enough space away from the curved sides.

No scratches front or back. Daily usage is home office environment, when out and about, it goes into my jeans, trousers, front or back pocket. Occasional fishing trips it goes in front chest pocket with a lanyard. Have also had a few beach trips, no special case but were careful to not get sand on phone. So far so good.

With that said, I would feel better with a screen protector so I don't have to be as careful.

Sounds like your phone is a sturdy piece of technology! I wouldn't be nearly as fortunate! Haha. I try to be careful but still end up smashing my phone into things.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The crazy (or not so crazy thing) is quite frequently you see reviews on Amazon for thin cases and any of the 1-star reviews are "this case doesn't work, dropped my phone and it cracked!" Uhh, slim cases really are only going to protect against scratches. Mom & Dad bought you that $1000 phone and you thought that cool ultra slim case you put on it was going to make it indestructible or that tempered glass screen protector would prevent your screen from cracking when you drop it on the pavement? Wishful thinking.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your phone is a sturdy piece of technology! I wouldn't be nearly as fortunate! Haha. I try to be careful but still end up smashing my phone into things.

Haha, your phone is just as sturdy. I try hard to not be in position for it to easily drop. That's really the only thing I'm most concern with. The glass is pretty resistant to scratches.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Haha, your phone is just as sturdy. I try hard to not be in position for it to easily drop. That's really the only thing I'm most concern with. The glass is pretty resistant to scratches.

It's me who's just unstable - I trip on the floor! Haha.