S8 to S10e... upgrade or downgrade?

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone I have a weird question, I'm not a fan of huge phones I was actually in the Xperia Compact zone for a while now but the prices got higher and the phones got bigger so I switched to Samsung for the Galaxy S6 and then Galaxy S8

My question is would going from a S8 to a S10 e b a upgrade or a downgrade?

I know the S10e screen resolution is a bit lower but after a factory reset recently the phone was back on 1080p and I forgot to switch to 2K for a day or two and didn't really notice until I remembered so I don't think resolution is that big of a deal (but a drop is a drop I guess)

Keep in mind I just did a warranty repair and got a brand new screen and battery for my phone and it's on the One UI beta

I buy all my phones unlocked I hate being tied to carriers so if I was to buy a S10 e it would be the full unlocked price not payment plan

Let me know what you guys think love because the phone is a bit smaller but worried about if I could get used to the hole punch and if overall is a downgrade

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone I have a weird question, I'm not a fan of huge phones I was actually in the Xperia Compact zone for a while now but the prices got higher and the phones got bigger so I switched to Samsung for the Galaxy S6 and then Galaxy S8

My question is would going from a S8 to a S10 e b a upgrade or a downgrade?

I know the S10e screen resolution is a bit lower but after a factory reset recently the phone was back on 1080p and I forgot to switch to 2K for a day or two and didn't really notice until I remembered so I don't think resolution is that big of a deal (but a drop is a drop I guess)

Keep in mind I just did a warranty repair and got a brand new screen and battery for my phone and it's on the One UI beta

I buy all my phones unlocked I hate being tied to carriers so if I was to buy a S10 e it would be the full unlocked price not payment plan

Let me know what you guys think love because the phone is a bit smaller but worried about if I could get used to the hole punch and if overall is a downgrade

If you care to even look at the recent threads here, you will know that it is a HUGE upgrade considering it was a great upgrade from my S9!

See this:

Got an S10e instead of my pre-ordered S10 - First impressions

So in your case with an S8, this should be a MAJOR upgrade

PS: You don't even notice the hole punch after a while since it's very tiny unlike the fugly double hole punch of the S10+

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
All new phones are upgrades over old phones

More specifically over the S8, it'll be huge upgrade given the processor, design, performance, camera, fingerprint placement and pretty much everything else. How much that matters is dependent on if you care about these or happy with S8.

About the hole punch, you will get used to it within no time. Personally notches and punch hole etc doesn't bother me one bit since they provide bigger screen.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
it'll be huge upgrade given the processor, design, performance, camera, fingerprint placement and pretty much everything else. How much that matters is dependent on if you care about these or happy with S8.

that's the thing, my S8 is great. I really do love my phone. But I love taking pictures and I've seen a few pictures online and in the threads here and they look pretty amazing.

I also want 4k without a time limit like my S8 has, I've read that 4k 30fps has no time limit (some even said 4k 60fps no time limit)

That being said my camera is pretty good for being a few years old and my phone is on pie already and has a decent chance of getting the next update so the thing I'm trying to figure out is it worth $400-$500 to get the new shiny thing or is my phone good enough until the s11/s12

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
that's the thing, my S8 is great. I really do love my phone. But I love taking pictures and I've seen a few pictures online and in the threads here and they look pretty amazing.

I also want 4k without a time limit like my S8 has, I've read that 4k 30fps has no time limit (some even said 4k 60fps no time limit)

That being said my camera is pretty good for being a few years old and my phone is on pie already and has a decent chance of getting the next update so the thing I'm trying to figure out is it worth $400-$500 to get the new shiny thing or is my phone good enough until the s11/s12
Everyone values money, features and other things differently. Based on what you say looks like you are happy with the S8 then why not stick with it until you are tired of it or you think it's not great anymore.
I don't think anyone can answer if the features, new internals etc are worth the money for you. You can only decide that

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Everyone values money, features and other things differently. Based on what you say looks like you are happy with the S8 then why not stick with it until you are tired of it or you think it's not great anymore.
I don't think anyone can answer if the features, new internals etc are worth the money for you. You can only decide that
I wish their was a store like blockbuster for phones to test them out before buying ahaha this is so hard I want the new shiny thing but I cant seen to figure out if it's worth it

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I wish their was a store like blockbuster for phones to test them out before buying ahaha this is so hard I want the new shiny thing but I cant seen to figure out if it's worth it

Well it is a great update, but is it really worth that much money? If we consider the amount of happiness in terms of upgrades vs the price which is insanely high even for the 10e model then no. Keep what you have until it dies because your camera is no slouch either. I don't want you to have buyer's remorse later on

I say, upgrade when your phone really starts bothering either if the battery starts getting really bad or if it breaks. Otherwise from what you said, it looks like you can easily wait for the next upgrade and make it really worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents worth from someone who just upgraded from an S9 256GB

The most thing I love is the fingerprint placement, it makes my life so much easier as I unlock the phone constantly. The camera is great but I don't use it too much so the Fingerprint scanner placement is the best for me along with the smaller size which I love.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
At least in the US we have the return period and we can return the phone no questions asked if you don't like. Some retailers like Samsung.com don't even charge restocking fee. Not sure where you are located but if there is a return period then I would suggest try it out and return if you don't like. If you like then keep the phone and sell the S8.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
At least in the US we have the return period and we can return the phone no questions asked if you don't like. Some retailers like Samsung.com don't even charge restocking fee. Not sure where you are located but if there is a return period then I would suggest try it out and return if you don't like. If you like then keep the phone and sell the S8.
I am in the US and that's a great idea the only thing is I wanted to trade in my S8 to lowered the blow on my wallet for the new phone so I would have to buy the new phone first and if I like it sell the S8 but then you got to deal with the weird people that constantly make arrangements and never show up to buy the phone and Best Buys actually having a great trade-in deal of giving me 300 towards the S10 E I don't even know if I would get 300 if I sold it afterwards

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in the US and that's a great idea the only thing is I wanted to trade in my S8 to lowered the blow on my wallet for the new phone so I would have to buy the new phone first and if I like it sell the S8 but then you got to deal with the weird people that constantly make arrangements and never show up to buy the phone and Best Buys actually having a great trade-in deal of giving me 300 towards the S10 E I don't even know if I would get 300 if I sold it afterwards
Actually, if you buy from Samsung.com then you do have 15 days after delivery before you can send in the trade device. Let's say you like the device then send in your trade in, if not just return the phone and keep your S8.
Samsung.com is also offering $300 trade in for S8, so buying from samsung.com will meet all your needs

5faca8d75e0d4ec2127a09f6610159aa.jpg

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Actually, if you buy from Samsung.com then you do have 15 days after delivery before you can send in the trade device. Let's say you like the device then send in your trade in, if not just return the phone and keep your S8.
Samsung.com is also offering $300 trade in for S8, so buying from samsung.com will meet all your needs

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190313/5faca8d75e0d4ec2127a09f6610159aa.jpg
wow! When posting to this form I didn't think I would get anything other than a few good responses but this was fantastic!

Gonna for sure put some cash on my debit card tomorrow thanks for the tips my friend

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Same boat. I love my S8. But the S10 looms large and I've got the itch. The camera is huge for me. And after seeing it in person, the screen is a definite upgrade.

Regarding the S10e, I've received two cases for the S10. It's almost the exact same form factor as the S8. If you like smaller phones, I'd say go for the S10e.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Same boat. I love my S8. But the S10 looms large and I've got the itch.

You see this is my problem, the S8 is a great phone and was definitely ahead of its time when it released. If Samsung did the gestures for this phone instead of the traditional home back and recent when it released it would have been crazy

But I haven't purchased a new Gadget in quite some time and I've got the itch to upgrade. In all honesty it isn't necessary to upgrade right now but I'm really wanting a new phone again

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
You see this is my problem, the S8 is a great phone and was definitely ahead of its time when it released. If Samsung did the gestures for this phone instead of the traditional home back and recent when it released it would have been crazy

But I haven't purchased a new Gadget in quite some time and I've got the itch to upgrade. In all honesty it isn't necessary to upgrade right now but I'm really wanting a new phone again
You're right. It's not necessary. But I've had the S8 since launch. It's time.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Like you, I have the S8 and after seeing the 10 and 10e, I went for the 10, based on size. I'm returning it tomorrow and going to the 10e, as I can't stand the in-screen fingerprint reader on the 10. It doesn't work well enough for me (and I have the latest upgrade and have done everything I can find online), so for a $900 device, I don't need the hassle just to unlock the phone or use it for Samsung pay.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, I just went ahead and upgraded to the s10e and here is some early impressions for you guys

The first thing you notice is that the phones aspect ratio isn't noticeably different until you watch a YouTube video or 2. Seriously I thought the phone from a quick glance had the same aspect ratio and to my surprise it is definitely different (obviously for those who know it's nothing to mention but I had no idea)

Second is holding the phone, I loved the curved display on my S8 for the "design" but when it came to actual usage my palms and grip would always get in the way and holding the s10e it is very refreshing not going thru that anymore

Third and final impression is that the side bezels are extra noticable when watching video in landscape mode, coming from the s8 which had melting over the edge this phone is just throwing them in my face (which wouldn't be a problem coming from another phone but coming from almost no side bezels to this is something I wasn't expecting that much)

I got myself the Blue color and gonna order a case for when I'm at work. Definitely loving the phone so far and am getting more use to the camera cut out the longer I use the phone

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, I just went ahead and upgraded to the s10e and here is some early impressions for you guys

The first thing you notice is that the phones aspect ratio isn't noticeably different until you watch a YouTube video or 2. Seriously I thought the phone from a quick glance had the same aspect ratio and to my surprise it is definitely different (obviously for those who know it's nothing to mention but I had no idea)

Second is holding the phone, I loved the curved display on my S8 for the "design" but when it came to actual usage my palms and grip would always get in the way and holding the s10e it is very refreshing not going thru that anymore

Third and final impression is that the side bezels are extra noticable when watching video in landscape mode, coming from the s8 which had melting over the edge this phone is just throwing them in my face (which wouldn't be a problem coming from another phone but coming from almost no side bezels to this is something I wasn't expecting that much)

I got myself the Blue color and gonna order a case for when I'm at work. Definitely loving the phone so far and am getting more use to the camera cut out the longer I use the phone

Cool! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it so far.

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Traded my S8 in which I owned. T-Mobile gave me $390.00 for trade in. I bought the S10E with 256gb of internal storage. Love it.
Vinny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non