S10e reporting 3 times mobile usage than carrier

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I bought a Samsung S10e only 15 days ago and the data usage for the month shows over 5 times what my carrier is showing. (Bell is showing 1.84GB and phone is showing 9.7GB)
I use wifi at home and my usage is no different from when i had my previous phones.

This is an extreme amount of data and when i check apps that are running (i've turned off the ability to DL data in background for most of them) it shows that the Play Store is at 20GB.

How is the phone counting data? Even if play store really did download that much, it's not showing up on Bell's data usage. Is the phone counting wifi as mobile data? How do i correct this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That depends on what you're looking at - Play's data usage, or the mobile data usage. (Apps count downloads as downloads, they don't care where the internet connection is coming from.)

Last edited:

lj1613

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
That depends on what you';re looking at - Play's data usage, or the mobile data usage. (Apps count downloads as downloads, they don't care where the internet connection is coming from.)

well, in playstore's settings it says i've used 20GB of mobile data. and on Samsung's data usage page, it says i've used 9.6GB.

but my provider says i've only used ~2GB.
i'm not so much worried about the 20GB to 9.6GB discrepancy, but i am concerned about Samsung's mobile data count of 9.6GB when my provider says 1.8GB

9.6 to 1.8 is a major difference.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
well, in playstore's settings it says i've used 20GB of mobile data. and on Samsung's data usage page, it says i've used 9.6GB.

but my provider says i've only used ~2GB.
i'm not so much worried about the 20GB to 9.6GB discrepancy, but i am concerned about Samsung's mobile data count of 9.6GB when my provider says 1.8GB

9.6 to 1.8 is a major difference.
You have to see if those stats are saying for 1 month or 1 week time frame that's why maybe you getting different usage.

lj1613

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
You have to see if those stats are saying for 1 month or 1 week time frame that's why maybe you getting different usage.

The phone's data capture is set to the billing cycle dates. I've also only had it for 2 weeks and i only got it 5 days before my billing cycle started.

The 9.6GB should match the 1.8GB my provider says but it seems like the phone doesn't know if it's on wifi or not. When i'm at home on wifi then i get messages like, "you're using a lot of data right now".
so i check everything and i'm not using any. I check my provider the next day and it hasn't gone up at all.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The phone's data capture is set to the billing cycle dates. I've also only had it for 2 weeks and i only got it 5 days before my billing cycle started.

The 9.6GB should match the 1.8GB my provider says but it seems like the phone doesn't know if it's on wifi or not. When i'm at home on wifi then i get messages like, "you're using a lot of data right now".
so i check everything and i'm not using any. I check my provider the next day and it hasn't gone up at all.

It does mention the data used by phone and provider data may differ

Attachments

• 2171.jpg
    2171.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 18

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're on mobile data and WiFi is on, he phone may be using WiFi, no mobile data. Make sure that only one or the other is on. (I've rarely seen a spec on which data the phone will use if both are on, and not in quite a few years.)

plttest03

Apr 25, 2019
Visit site
have you selected the billing cycle as same as the carrier's bill? also, the data usage from the bill would be showing you like 2 months before data usage so you would need to change the dates to make sure comparing the right data usage

lj1613

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
have you selected the billing cycle as same as the carrier's bill? also, the data usage from the bill would be showing you like 2 months before data usage so you would need to change the dates to make sure comparing the right data usage

i'd only had the phone for two weeks at that point and it was only 2 days out from my bill date anyway. i made sure the dates lined up when i got my first overage message, but still the alerts come in.

lj1613

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
If you're on mobile data and WiFi is on, he phone may be using WiFi, no mobile data. Make sure that only one or the other is on. (I've rarely seen a spec on which data the phone will use if both are on, and not in quite a few years.)

i could do this for troubleshooting purposes, but having to turn data off while i'm in the house doesn't make sense. also, the carrier says it's not using the data. so it's really just an issue of the phone SAYING it's over, when really it's not.

i don't think this is an issue with whether wifi or data is on or off. If i were actually over, my carrier would say so, they love billing for anything they can find.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i could do this for troubleshooting purposes, but having to turn data off while i'm in the house doesn't make sense. also, the carrier says it's not using the data. so it's really just an issue of the phone SAYING it's over, when really it's not.

i don't think this is an issue with whether wifi or data is on or off. If i were actually over, my carrier would say so, they love billing for anything they can find.

You can also try from the play store another usage monitor app see how it compares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38