Let's see those 5G Speed Tests!

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is my 5g speed test results. I get about the same results for LTE. I switched from Sprint to T-mobile to test out the 5g speeds for Des Moines, Iowa. I have ran multiple tests at various locations on different parts of town and am getting about the same results at each location for both 5g and LTE.

Switch it to it reading out as "Mbps" so we can compare it to the other tests. Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
lol i was thinking the same. my fake 5g on at&t tops out at 140mbps, so i have nothing to talk about either. this vzw shot above is not bad at all though

As long as he sits on that exact corner with no lightpole in between then yep.. it is good :p.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know what the criteria is for at&t to display "5G" as opposed to "LTE+" or "LTE"? i sit at my desk at work and see usually "LTE", but when i run a speedtest "LTE+" pops up and i get the same 120-150mbps i've always gotten. yesterday i was out and about in a different part of nj and "5G" appeared, but the speed tests were quite similar at 120-150mbps. are they spinning a wheel? throwing darts at a board?

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know what the criteria is for at&t to display "5G" as opposed to "LTE+" or "LTE"? i sit at my desk at work and see usually "LTE", but when i run a speedtest "LTE+" pops up and i get the same 120-150mbps i've always gotten. yesterday i was out and about in a different part of nj and "5G" appeared, but the speed tests were quite similar at 120-150mbps. are they spinning a wheel? throwing darts at a board?
I do know that most of what AT&T displays now is 5Ge (5G Evolution) which is really not 5G it is more like LTE +....so don't expect and great speed changes ....

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
You are doing much better than I am. The only time I came close to your speeds was at my house at 1 a.m. (166 down, 52.8 up). At home now (6 pm) I got 33 down 39.5 up. Outside Costco today, with full bars, I got 1.09 Mbps down and 3.8 up. A test inside Costco gave me about the same speeds down but the upload test failed. To be fair to T-Mobile, though, none of the carriers seem to do well in that Costco (I've used AT&T and Verizon there, both had issues, as well).

Despite the relatively slow speeds, in some of these areas I've had issues running on LTE (such as at that Walmart) seemingly because of "congestion." While the 5G is slow, it is usable because (as you mentioned) there are so few using it. I'm looking forward to see how it improves as they start using Sprint's spectrum.
I have issues in Costco in the UK. It is something to do with all the metal in the building.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo