how to unlock an S20 without pressing side button?

urbantea

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
In my previous s9, i could hard press the home button and it would unlock my phone. At the time, i did not have a password or any security thing and i like it that way.

With the s20, if I don't put a security thing (face, fingerprint), then i have to press the side button to unlock my phone. Just pressing home button doesn't do it anymore. Anyone figure out if home button can unlock my phone?

I've had to resort to doing finger print thing which is cool but not as easy as just pressing the home button. Ideally, I don't want to use any security feature on my phone (fingerprint, face, pattern, etc)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No longer an option since Android 10 moved to a gesture-centric navigation style. Even if you do show the navigation bar with legacy buttons, the only thing that can be set up to be active while the screen is off or on the lockscreen is the Fingerprint Reader.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry didn't see the part about not using any security. Disregard previous comment.

Well if you use face recognition all you have to do is check the setting so all you have to do is look at the phone, no buttons, no tapping the screen. They want it easiest to open, this is it.

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Tap twice to unlock?

Been having this same issue since moving from my S9+. Turns out you can double tap any part of the screen and it will unlock. You can also lift up towards your face and it will unlock. If it still fails, you can always press the damn button.

edit: no security here.

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Settings / Motions and Gestures / Double Tap to Wake - turn on.
You can also use "Lift to Wake" but no thanks then it would wake up EVERY time you picked it up...

locutus6

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks so much for this. :) I had just bought a new Galaxy Note 20 to replace my Note 9 and I was struggling to find how to unlock with the home button.

I really have no idea why Google decided to remove this feature. Often, these updates change things for the sake of change - this is why I avoid updating the firmware on my phones - 9/10 makes things worse.

The Note 9 was really a great phone, especially with the original firmware. I hate the One UI, it's ugly and clunky.

I'm probably in the minority.