06-30-2020 07:55 PM
69 123
tools
    So I just noticed a slight crack on the camera housing right above the flash on my S20 Ultra. It goes across that whole corner. I haven't even dropped my phone! There is nothing I can do, is there? I do have Samsung Care, but I'd have to pay the deductible. So at this point should I just wait until it gets worse, or something else happens? In my whole life, I've never cracked or damaged any phone I've had. I can't believe this has already happened.
    03-19-2020 02:14 PM
    I'm sorry this happened to you , can you post a screenshot? I would wait a little then gets worse like you said go through insurance , Samsung wont warranty that most likely and blame you .
    03-19-2020 02:17 PM
    Pic to see what it looks like?

So I just noticed a slight crack on the camera housing right above the flash on my S20 Ultra. It goes across that whole corner. I haven't even dropped my phone! There is nothing I can do, is there? I do have Samsung Care, but I'd have to pay the deductible. So at this point should I just wait until it gets worse, or something else happens? In my whole life, I've never cracked or damaged any phone I've had. I can't believe this has already happened.
    03-19-2020 02:18 PM
    With my S8+ I did get Samsung to warranty fix a crack in the back glass that was sorta my fault. It had to do with the Gear VR.

You could be dishonest and tell them it came like that.
    Gray Area likes this.
    03-19-2020 03:25 PM
    Here is a pic of it. It was hard to get a good pic, but you can kinda see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Slight crack on Camera glass above the Flash, S20 Ultra.-screenshot_20200319-164937_textra.jpg  
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-19-2020 03:53 PM
    Oh dam. I wonder how that happened or was it shipped like that? That case doesn't look like it offers camera protection.
    03-19-2020 04:25 PM
    I've seen this article https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...a-glass-break/

It's saying that this has been reportedly happening to several ppl who say they never even dropped the phone which, if true, sucks! Just got my ultra yesterday and immediately put it in a defender case.
    04-28-2020 06:19 PM
    I've seen this article https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...a-glass-break/

It's saying that this has been reportedly happening to several ppl who say they never even dropped the phone which, if true, sucks! Just got my ultra yesterday and immediately put it in a defender case.
    Yes been seeing it all over. Lots of people in the sammy forums are complaining about it. Saying its a defect and they need to recall the phone. Some of the pics ive seen are perfect holes right where the lense is so i doubt they dropped the phone.
    04-28-2020 06:28 PM
    Manufacturing defect. It was prestressed most likely if you didn't smack hard.
    Contact Samsung and lean on them if need be.
    Worth a try.
    Won't kill the phone but I feel you...
    04-28-2020 06:59 PM
    Wow, crazy I hope Sammy do the right thing and just fix them for free.
    Yes been seeing it all over. Lots of people in the sammy forums are complaining about it. Saying its a defect and they need to recall the phone. Some of the pics ive seen are perfect holes right where the lense is so i doubt they dropped the phone.
    04-28-2020 07:52 PM
    Has to be a dropped phone. No way the Camera lens get this for no reason. I've dropped my ultra a dozen times and I'm just lucky. Phone camera lenses don't Crack by themselves.
    Gray Area and bassplayrguy like this.
    04-28-2020 09:10 PM
    Has to be a dropped phone. No way the Camera lens get this for no reason. I've dropped my ultra a dozen times and I'm just lucky. Phone camera lenses don't Crack by themselves.
    I don't know about the Ultra specifically but tempered glass can spontaneously shatter for a variety of reasons including defects in the manufacturing process. It happened on some LG G5s and V20s, as well as earlier Samsung devices. Of course some break because they are dropped or something pointy and hard pressed up against the glass.
    04-28-2020 09:44 PM
    If this has happened the way it's being reported then, I hope it's just a defect on a small # of devices and not all ultras. I've only had mine for 1 day so of course I can't speak on it. The ultra has had so much bad press because of these cameras, but so far I'm loving the device. I've taken advice from ppl on how to use the cameras correctly and my pics look great and I have 0 complaints. Hope it remains that way.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-28-2020 09:50 PM
    If this has happened the way it's being reported then, I hope it's just a defect on a small # of devices and not all ultras. I've only had mine for 1 day so of course I can't speak on it. The ultra has had so much bad press because of these cameras, but so far I'm loving the device. I've taken advice from ppl on how to use the cameras correctly and my pics look great and I have 0 complaints. Hope it remains that way.
    I mean think about it. When we first get our phones we lokna them out of the case. If the phone had a crack on the camera lens it would stand out on a brand new phone. I've had my ultra since launch day and no way the phone will break for no reason. It has to be dropped outside most likely on concrete for it to break like in the above picture. A recalls for a camera lens would be ridiculous since the phones been out for a while now.
    04-29-2020 06:58 AM
    When I purchased my S20 Ultra from T-Mobile they took it straight out of the box and installed a tempered glass screen protector on it. About 3 days later I noticed a small crack in the screen protector. I removed it because that type of thing bothers me when I look at the screen. Anyways, as I'm cleaning the phone screen I notice a large hairline crack in the screen on the phone. You could only notice this crack when the screen was wet with cleaner otherwise you couldn't see it at all. I still had the screen protector as it has a lifetime warranty so I compared the location of the cracks and they weren't anywhere near each other. I returned the phone to T-Mobile who tried to give me a hard time on getting another phone (they eventually did) but I'm pretty certain the phone came out of the box with the crack already there. Right after the screen protector was installed initially it was put directly in a case and was never dropped. It can definitely happen at the factory.

Here is a pic of it. It was hard to get a good pic, but you can kinda see it.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-29-2020 07:57 AM
    Is there an update on your situation, OP? Did you contact Samsung? Also, that crack was painful to see... I'm sorry that happened to you!
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-29-2020 08:34 AM
    I mean think about it. When we first get our phones we lokna them out of the case. If the phone had a crack on the camera lens it would stand out on a brand new phone. I've had my ultra since launch day and no way the phone will break for no reason. It has to be dropped outside most likely on concrete for it to break like in the above picture. A recalls for a camera lens would be ridiculous since the phones been out for a while now.
    The articles I read mentioned something to do with air pressure inside the housing could be at fault.
    04-29-2020 08:52 AM
    The articles I read mentioned something to do with air pressure inside the housing could be at fault.
    The cameras aren't in a vacuumed housing right? Cause people like JerryRigs can tear it apart and pull out the camera/board right?
    04-29-2020 09:30 AM
    If this was the case wouldn't all the ultras be at risk of cracking. I've only seen maybe 2 affected
    04-29-2020 09:42 AM
    Check out the open letter created by one with links from the Samsung Community Forum

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/com...breaks_easily/

If this was the case wouldn't all the ultras be at risk of cracking. I've only seen maybe 2 affected
    blackhawkhot likes this.
    04-29-2020 09:55 AM
    Check out the open letter created by one with links from the Samsung Community Forum

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/com...breaks_easily/
    Sounds like there's no leeway at all for expansion, case flex, or dimensional specs on one or more parts is wrong and/or it was prestressed during assemble.
    Lousy QC Samsung... own up to it.

Ripping into the OP is lame... sometimes things just do what they were made to do.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-29-2020 10:05 AM
    Its a ton of people not just 2. There's threads all over the internet about it including Samsung forums .
    blackhawkhot likes this.
    04-29-2020 10:06 AM
    04-30-2020 06:16 AM
    I agree. Everyone saying defect by Samsung. Really???
    04-30-2020 09:50 PM
    Instead of using the Reddit link, this seems to be the main post to go to on the Samsung Community site to read on the subject.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...a/td-p/1154527

Up to 12 pages. It seems like most of are Exynos owners?
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-30-2020 11:00 PM
69 123