Advantages of root?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I always rooted my android phones even samsung ones, though with only 2 roms actually available and with weak customisation (lack of long press to kill option, advanced power menu...), as well as no custom kernel, I wonder if it's still advantageous to root and lose warranty? The only real advantage I see is to use ads removal apps. If you have ideas about in what root can be an advantage please tell me

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only advantage I see if device is no longer getting OS updates or security, or u want a feature that's from different phone manufacturer.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, there's plenty of ad blocking apps that don't need root. I use Blokada on my AT&T S20 FE. Works quite well.

I can see rooting an older device to extend usefulness of newer android versions not made available by the OEM. But not new devices anymore.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I miss the peace of mind that came with Titanium backup, but I haven't rooted a phone in a couple of years. It's kind of a boondoggle these days.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Also, there's plenty of ad blocking apps that don't need root. I use Blokada on my AT&T S20 FE. Works quite well.

I can see rooting an older device to extend usefulness of newer android versions not made available by the OEM. But not new devices anymore.

I heard Blokada drains battery, is that true?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I heard Blokada drains battery, is that true?
I get through a whole day with still 50-40% by 11pm.

Checking battery usage, Blokada is always among the bottom. Down there with my calender widget and the calculator.

So, yeah, technically it drains the battery, but every app does to some extent. It is not one of the hogs though.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe you also have to filter all your traffic through their servers, which I'd be a bit wary of.
That's for a paid vpn option.

I don't use that. The free version filters through its own internal DNS routing, so nothing runs external. It may not be the most effective, but does enough for me.

jope28

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
That's for a paid vpn option.

I don't use that. The free version filters through its own internal DNS routing, so nothing runs external. It may not be the most effective, but does enough for me.

Why not just use an adblocking DNS and just cut out the need for an app to do it?
Adguard, Mullvad and others offer free Adblocking DNS addresses.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is no longer near as necessary as it was back in say 2012/2013. You practically needed root access to disable apps. Now...I really don't see the need. Storage and RAM have increased enough that you don't need to go through all the hoops. OEM ROMs are almost as quick to update as customs used to be.

In fact, the last phone I rooted was my 2013 Moto X.

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed rooting. One of my favorite customizations was changing the style of the wifi, bluetooth, etc icons. The default ones are beyond boring.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed rooting. One of my favorite customizations was changing the style of the wifi, bluetooth, etc icons. The default ones are beyond boring.

You can do that with hex installer, I use AOSP ones because Samsung's 90s style ones are way too ugly in 2021.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo