notification toggle grayed out

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forums.

I noticed on my S22U that the option to block/disallow notifications on the native Reminder and Calendar apps are grayed out. (not so with the native Email app). I figured it was a ghost in the machine, so I restarted my phone and that did not solve the problem.

Additionally, when approaching the problem (Settings > Notifications > App notifications) from the Settings menu, the offending apps don't even appear in the list of apps. I've never seen this before, therefore, I don't have a clue as to how to fix this. Any ideas/suggestions? many thanks!

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the same calendar your referring to but try this...
*Go to calendar settings in the calendar app
*Go to Alert Times
*Select Events
*Select "no alert"

I think that would turn off the notifications. And I think you could probably customize the notifications (alerts) for each event as they are created.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the same calendar your referring to but try this...
*Go to calendar settings in the calendar app
*Go to Alert Times
*Select Events
*Select "no alert"

I think that would turn off the notifications. And I think you could probably customize the notifications (alerts) for each event as they are created.

Thanks, but that's not the issue I'm dealing with. I should be able to block notifications from those apps. I can't. And since they're native apps, I can't uninstall and reinstall. FDR is not an appealing solution, though, since I plan on having this phone for awhile, I won't rule it out completely.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but that's not the issue I'm dealing with. I should be able to block notifications from those apps. I can't. And since they're native apps, I can't uninstall and reinstall. FDR is not an appealing solution, though, since I plan on having this phone for awhile, I won't rule it out completely.
It appears on my Samsung Calendar app there is not an option to block notifications. My only option is to not get any notifications (alerts) by choosing "no alert" for events. I'm guessing it's a change that came with Android 13, UI5?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try these 2 methods
1. Settings>general management>Reset>reset settings

2. Settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>reset app preference

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Try these 2 methods
1. Settings>general management>Reset>reset settings

2. Settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>reset app preference
fascinating! when I went to look at your first option, all the options under Reset were grayed out. couldn't try that method if I wanted to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
fascinating! when I went to look at your first option, all the options under Reset were grayed out. couldn't try that method if I wanted to.
Thats not good
Try resetting app preference and check back there at some point your probably going factory reset

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I know:(
Something got messed up somehow and if that settings is grey out it not a good sign could be potentially other settings that you're not aware about also that are screwed up.
Agreed. This is going to bite like a son of a gun. And now I think I know what I'm doing Saturday morning.

My guess is that I should avoid my recent Smart Switch backup and do it cold from Google account, Samsung account, Samsung Cloud, etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Agreed. This is going to bite like a son of a gun. And now I think I know what I'm doing Saturday morning.

My guess is that I should avoid my recent Smart Switch backup and do it cold from Google account, Samsung account, Samsung Cloud, etc.
Transfer everything except settings

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
here's a fun development.....when I do the FDR on my phone, I'm going to have to do it from the recovery screen, since that option is grayed out in the General Management settings. just roll me over and spank me honestly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
here's a fun development.....when I do the FDR on my phone, I'm going to have to do it from the recovery screen, since that option is grayed out in the General Management settings. just roll me over and spank me honestly.
Yeah unfortunately

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Usually greyed out toggles on major settings require a factory reset to fix unfortunately :-\

Fear the Grey!! :eek: lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty