Stay or Jump (a.k.a. AT&T vs VZW)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of switching to Verizon and need some input.

I currently have a Captivate (Galaxy S for those who don't know) on AT&T. Lots of problems. I was going to get the GNex, but AT&T never carried it and by the time it hit the streets, all the rumors of the SGSIII were flying.

I decided to wait for the SGSIII, and have been limping along with the Captivate ever since.

So the SGSIII gets announced, and stupid AT&T decides not to carry the 32GB version. Rural area/spotty coverage/2GB plan/no LTE where I live, so "living in the cloud" is not a viable option. I need space. I can fill any size SD card with music, so I want maximum onboard memory for app installations, photos, and all other files.

I'm about 99% sure I'm switching to Verizon to get the 32 GB version, and I'll undoubtedly pick up a 64GB card to pop in it, too.

Besides the 32 GB option, I'm lured to VZW by (1) little better signal at my house; (2) their announcement that their SGSIII will have global roaming turned on; and (3) that their LTE network is in more places. AT&T's network is said to be faster, but they seem to be putting their towers in markets where Verizon already has theirs...so my neighborhood will probably get Verizon LTE before it gets it from AT&T.

The only thing AT&T has going for it is better customer service (I've had Verizon in the past, and I wanted to kill every person I ever talked to there, whereas I've had amazing customer service in my 1.5 years with AT&T).

But there's just something bugging me about Verizon. Something telling me it would be a huge mistake. I just can't put my finger on what that would be, though.

So what do current AT&T and Verizon customers think? Anyone have any other compelling tidbits of why one is better than the other.

Thanks for any insight!

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Every Verizon customer service interaction was brutal. You try to get them to fix something on your account and next thing you know, your plan has changed and they "Accidentally extend your contract". I hate Verizon customer service. HATE!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
First, you can buy a 16gb card from AT&T so total cost is less than VZW. You have to balance what works best for you. We have been with AT&T for 17 years and have found our overall experience with their customer and technical support to be just fine. Just pre-ordered my pebble blue GS3 on June 6th from AT&T.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have always came out better with AT&T in terms of cost. Plans discounts etc have always worked better for me. Customer service is about 70/30, meaning it goes well about 70% of the time.

Verizon has better coverage though, less dropped calls. Arrogant sales staff though when I did go look at a Razr Maxx a few months ago & never signed on.

With all that said, it would be great to go to a system where you pay 100% for a phone & then go with the plan/coverage/company you want. Just hate committing so much money to one company for such a long period of time.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's customer service is not too good, but I rarely have to deal with them since I go to best buy to buy all my phones. Verizons network is supurb and they are adding 4g to different cities constantly. Overall, its worth the extra money.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was having to make the same choice, moving from Sprint. After looking at everything I decided to go with AT&T. Unfortunately for me extenuating circumstances made it necessary that I go to VZW. All things being equal I would choose AT&T, I get the feeling that they are more consumer friendly than VZW and the AT&T plans are better IMO.

Reactions: Mercury81

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I did the same a month ago when I left Sprint. Right now I am chilling off contract on ATT while I wait for the SIII to come out! Before signing one!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't switch a carrier *just* to get an additional 16GB of space. Even though I did preorder the 32GB version.

That said, I've been with VZW for a decade and I can honestly say that I haven't had an experience with an arrogant or unhelpful rep. They might not have known everything they should know, but they've never been pricks.

Also, I tend to travel abroad a fair bit and contact VZW to turn on/off int roaming a fair bit. The phone people have always nice and helpful.

Say what you want about the reception in your area, and yeah the monthly cost is what it is, but the service is better than most in my experience.

-Suntan

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't switch a carrier *just* to get an additional 16GB of space. Even though I did preorder the 32GB version.

That said, I've been with VZW for a decade and I can honestly say that I haven't had an experience with an arrogant or unhelpful rep. They might not have known everything they should know, but they've never been pricks.

Also, I tend to travel abroad a fair bit and contact VZW to turn on/off int roaming a fair bit. The phone people have always nice and helpful.

Say what you want about the reception in your area, and yeah the monthly cost is what it is, but the service is better than most in my experience.

-Suntan

My mom always said if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.... That all for the big V....:confused:

sent from my Evo4LTE

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Overseas where the ROW is on GSM for the most part, AT&T service was very helpful when I was working in the UK for a few weeks.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
"Their customer service is terrible." = "If you dont like the weather here, just wait five minutes."

I hear the customer service rant for every wireless company just as I hear the weather line for every state I've traveled to.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My mom always said if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.... That all for the big V....:confused:

sent from my Evo4LTE

And my mom always says that some people just post pointless remarks to see their words on the screen...

Anyway, VZW is largest carrier on the continent, obviously there's *nothing* nice to say about them. /rolleyes

-Suntan

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Carriers in my opinion all have their good points and bad points. I chose the carrier that provides the best phone reception in my area and that's Verizon. Does anyone use their phones for phone calls any more?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you want to switch carriers, then do it based on which carrier has the best coverage and service for your local areas and any areas that you travel to on a regular basis. I've been using cellphones for twenty years or more now and none of them are perfect. They all have their weaknesses and strengths.

As for the comment about CSR's, I've had one bad experience with a VZW rep and I reported it. They checked the records and found whom I had talked to and said they would take care of it and they also gave me a reasonable credit for the experience. Since then my experience has been mostly decent. I've been with Sprint for a number of years and service was good but I switched to VZW when they took over Alltel because their coverage in my area is unsurpassed. AT&T doesn't even offer service in my area and TMO barely has voice and data here is 1x. So,despite a number of issues with VZW practices I stay with them because they have service in my area in places where no one else even reaches.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread but our sprint bill for four smart phones all with unlimited everything is only 160$ a month, We've had every major us carrier and have never had that low of a bill.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread but our sprint bill for four smart phones all with unlimited everything is only 160$ a month, We've had every major us carrier and have never had that low of a bill.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

That's a great price for four smartphones. But there are some issues in some places that trump price. In my area Sprint has decent service until I get a few miles from home and then service goes to zero. AT&T doesn't even offer service here and TMO service is spotty at best everywhere around here. I would love to find a cheaper service, but switching from VZW for me means going from great service to spotty or no service. That's no bargain! If I lived in another area I would likely shop prices, but here, cheaper only means little or no service. I'm not married to any cellphone service but the reason I have a cellphone is to be able to use it.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There's only one reason to go with Verizon. It's not price, it's not best phone's earliest, it's not quick OS updates on their phones, It's coverage. Pure and simple, VZ has the best overall nation coverage with few (in my case zero) dropped calls ever.

YMMV

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
There's only one reason to go with Verizon. It's not price, it's not best phone's earliest, it's not quick OS updates on their phones, It's coverage. Pure and simple, VZ has the best overall nation coverage with few (in my case zero) dropped calls ever.

YMMV

True. Another reason that I didn't really mention is that with AT&T, I get spotty coverage for calls in my house. I believe Verizon provides a stronger signal in my house, so I can place/receive calls throughout the whole place.

Add the better coverage with the fact they have the configuration I want (32GB) and the probability they will have LTE in my area first, and I'm actually pretty excited to be switching.

Now if we can just do something about this July 9 release date... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo