Commuter or Defender?

sailorman2439

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I've now narrowed down my case search to the Otterbox Commuter and Otterbox Defender. I've owned a commuter for my Droid X the past two years and have been overall pretty satisfied. If anything, I would like to add slightly more protection, but I don't know if it is worth the added bulk of the defender. Also, the quality and design of each model, though generally very good, tends to depend on the model of phone it protects. The Otterbox Commuter came out this afternoon. I was hoping to get some opinions from someone who has either purchased the Otterbox for the S3 or owned one of the two models for a previous phone.

sailorman2439

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, I should mention, one of my main concerns is how well the case works with keeping the phone in your pocket. I believe the Defender has a rubber shell on the outside and I am worried that it might stick to my pocket. Any thoughts?

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I had the droid X with the Commuter, and it was alright; no real complaints (it was kinda of a dull case for a dull phone in retrospect). I was looking at the Defender for the GNex the other day and noticed it really wasn't as bulky, or as bulky as you'd think, for the size of the phone. I'm assuming the S3 version will be similar as well.

On one hand the Defender gives better protection, comes with a built in screen protector, and has, in my opinion, better color options (Atomic ftw). The commuter is less bulky, and will go in and out of your pocket easier. Though when I put the Nexus Defender in my pocket while standing it wasn't noticeably bad. I'm thinking about cutting off the headphone jack and micro USB ports for either. I'm also wondering if either would/could fit in a charging dock or house a bigger battery.

I'm actually kind of happy about the delay because now I can hopefully try them out and then return them. I'm also still interested in the Seidio Active with kickstand, but have read that the Commuter is more well liked and feels better in most cases (for the Nexus).

Let me know what you find out.

seabass

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Here are reviews from Amazon for the GNEX Defender and Commuter. They look very similar to the ones for the S3, so I think it's safe to assume they will share a lot of the same pros and cons as each other. I do want to point out that the reviews and overall satisfaction for the Commuter does seem to be significantly better than the Defender. For those interested for the holster, the consensus seems to be that that is the biggest issue. Apparently it doesn't last very long.

http://www.amazon.com/Otterbox-SAM4...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1875648

Amazon.com: OtterBox Defender Series for Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Cell Phones & Accessories

sailorman2439

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. After changing my mind several times, I think I've made up my mind in favor of the defender. One new reason for this is that the hard outer shell on my Droid X Otterbox Commuter just snapped in half (my fault). The thin part of outer shell above the charging port was already broken just from mistakenly removing the case while the charging cord was in. I think I just want the piece of mind of the defender, even if it is a brick.

Illmusiq

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick disclaimer, I haven't owned an otter box product ever, but I have heard internet reports and friends complaining about taking their iPhones out of a defender a year later for resell pictures and seeing scratches on the extremities of the device because of the hard plastic inner shell having a fit that's "too snug"...I've decided to go with the commuter because of this

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have my GNex in a Defender most of the time, I'm in a semi and can't afford a naked drop in the warehouse yards I go into. After about two months, it looks like new. There is a thin cushion in the back of the case. I added the factory extended battery (2100), and though its a snug fit, it works great. I do take it out and clean the phone and case 1-2 times a week, as I'm in a high dust environment, and it gets in every little opening. I'm really pleased so far!

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
apparently its only coming in black :(

Nope you just gotta put in Otterbox Defender Galaxy s3

ReflectionView attachment 28528

BoomView attachment 28529

AtomicView attachment 28530

BlazeView attachment 28531

and the one I ordered

GlacierView attachment 28532

All the above colors are on back order...the only one that was in stock is Glacier and there were only 5 left. Now I am just waiting on the 32 gig. I am happy that the phones are all the same size so that means all accessories work. The Blaze looks kind of cool. But something about the Glacier (other then being the only one in stock) did it for me:cool:

lynxy

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried almost 20 cases for my iphone 4s and my choice was commuter. This case gives me a true balance on protection and dimension. Now I want to stop using iphone and switch to Android. I want to use the same case, but a bit different phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 is so thin that the bulk added by the Commuter versus the Defender absent the holster is going to be negligible at best. I ordered the traditional black version of the Defender.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I would prefer the Seidio Convert, if it comes soon enough.
Like having the 2 level protection option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Flipboi14

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
really tough decision since otterbox improved their new silicone outsides.... they have made it grip to your hand but not so much your pocket anymore. no if u want protection and looking good. commuter. if u like protection of the commuter on crack get defender. i have both and switch off often..... which is bad but i do anyway lol hope it helped

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I like the defender while working but for everyday use I prefer the commuter just because it's not as bulky

Sent from my tin can with string attached

richcuffs

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Commuter all the way! It's a much, much nicer design, the screen protector is replaceable and not built in overlay like the defender,

The defender offers little more protection besides the belt clip.

The defender is all about the belt clip. The belt clip and the built in screen protector. Trust me I am so happy with the commuter.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been a big fan of the Otterbox Commuter series for a long time. I've been a BlackBerry user for many years and I've always used Otterbox cases. I tried the Defender, but I prefer the Commuter. I just ordered an Otterbox Commuter case for my new Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Either one is a good case, its just a matter of taste I guess.