SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

gbswales

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I wouldnt put a used as card in since they are so cheap. If I did then I would wipe and reformat it. I also wouldn't rely on any sd card as my only storage for photos as I have had too many cards fail over the years

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
S3 fried my SD card as well. New Lexar card -- not cheap. Also trashed the internal file system.

Was able to get a replacement phone. No problems in two weeks, now.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
S3 fried my SD card as well. New Lexar card -- not cheap. Also trashed the internal file system.

Was able to get a replacement phone. No problems in two weeks, now.

did they reimburse the sd card too?
ive got a class 10 sandisk in the mail and worried now lol.
was anyone doing anything in particular when the sd "fried"?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
got my class10 32gb sandisk few days ago and so far/so good.......

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

joecnote

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My 32 gig sd card just fried too. Ive had my galaxy since Early August and just started having problems. Im thinking that it is an engineering issue. The sd card slot gets very hot while the battery charges, since it is close to both the usb and battery. maybe this has something to do with it?

---------- Post Merged at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:37 PM ----------[/SI

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
can everyone post exactly what they were doing when it happened?
is there a corrolation?
how did you notice it was "fried"?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Galaxy S 2, the Galaxy Note and now a Galaxy S 3, all of them with the memory card slot in the same place roughly, near the battery. I have not had a card fail yet. My GS3 was purchased at launch.

SD cards can fail as soon as you put them in the device the first time. They are memory cards, and the circuitry in the cards is microscopic in nature. It only takes millivolts to fry a card. Have you ever touched a door knob and been shocked, well that is enough voltage to kill hundreds of sd cards at once. Memory chips for pcs used to be sold in anti-static bags to alleviate them being killed by errant voltage.

All this said, if a sd is dying an untimely death, look to possible spikes in power or surges. They could be dying because of your wall power coming through the charger cable. An overage of 0.1 volts can enter your handset and cause havoc if it strikes a poorly soldered connector or misaligned card.

But also as mentioned earlier, these sd cards are manufactured in the millions, and the testing of said cards may be non existant before they are boxed and shipped. These failing cards could be some of those.

Ever heard th e old saying that says to "never buy a car that was made on a friday or monday."

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
we should wear those antistatic wrist straps while handling them lol :p
seriously though ive kept one in a jar of loose change for months n it worked. its just your luck as you say mate

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 16GB fry in my S3, did an RMA on it which gave me a good reason to upgrade to a 32GB...a win-win situation. Reminds me of the good ole floppy days where you'd save something and them realize the diskette was bad once you got hom with. Electronics break and these are microscopic cheaply built electronics at that.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 16GB fry in my S3, did an RMA on it which gave me a good reason to upgrade to a 32GB...a win-win situation. Reminds me of the good ole floppy days where you'd save something and them realize the diskette was bad once you got hom with. Electronics break and these are microscopic cheaply built electronics at that.

lol i still hav floppys lyin around from my synth/sequencer :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Why would you keep that many pictures in your phone and never download them???

Sent from my SGH-T999

well for example tonight i had great fun with Meme Generator app using old pics of my friends saved on facebook lol priceless :)
ive also experienced the unexpected death of a very close brother so having these daft random pics of him are a huge comfort and make me smile :)

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
no offence mate but EH? :)

There are a couple of threads over at XDA that have solutions to seeing the actual thumbnail images on your phone/sdcard. Alot of us complained about this being new to the GS3, any phone prior would do this automatically. Just curious if most owners with the dying sdcard like myself used these solutions prior to the death of their sdcard.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of threads over at XDA that have solutions to seeing the actual thumbnail images on your phone/sdcard. Alot of us complained about this being new to the GS3, any phone prior would do this automatically. Just curious if most owners with the dying sdcard like myself used these solutions prior to the death of their sdcard.

ah right thanx. i dunno, some of them seem like noobs

bigguz

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
My galaxy s3 has fried two sd cards of mine. In the first week or so I purchased it in July, my old samsung sd card died. I bought a sandisk from amazon, and 3 months later it died too, repeatedly shows "blank sd card" error.

I tend to think this is a S3 issue now.

deathwhitch

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here, Happened after waking up from an all night charge, battery got hot while charging. Doesn't happen everytime you charge but sometimes it will get hot and I think this may be the problem. Using the SD card from my Bionic and the charger and cable that came with the phone.

I plan to replace my main question is does anyone know of ANY way to get the information off the card before I scrap it? I had a lot of stuff on it I can't replace and don't want to loose. PC and my tablet recognize the card but won't mount it

morelan

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a gs3 and just bought a brand new 32gb class 10 sd card and its not working. The phone reads it and can format it, it will even let me copy files to it and reads them sometimes just is really intermittent. Sometimes I can create a folder and other times it says"creation failed". I try to copy a folder with some music inn it and the first time i tried this it for to track five and said copying failed, I then formatted again and tried again.this time it for to track eleven then failed. When I tried deleting the music folder out says it succeeded but
when I looked the filet and one track was still there. I'm returning the card tomorrow and I hope it wasjust a bad card but after reading these posts I'm worried is the phone :(