03-23-2013 05:08 PM
99 1234
tools
    I disabled S Voice and a ton of other bloatware apps and over a few hours now I still don't really see any difference, anyone else? I've rebooted right after as well just to make sure everything that was open is no longer running. I may need to give it more time though, or maybe it could be that at my office since we only have HSPA+ boosters and not LTE yet in the building that it's still trying repeatedly to look for LTE. I'll report back more over time. Thanks for the tip btw!

Rev.
    07-17-2012 02:34 PM
    I disabled S Voice and a ton of other bloatware apps and over a few hours now I still don't really see any difference, anyone else? I've rebooted right after as well just to make sure everything that was open is no longer running. I may need to give it more time though, or maybe it could be that at my office since we only have HSPA+ boosters and not LTE yet in the building that it's still trying repeatedly to look for LTE. I'll report back more over time. Thanks for the tip btw!

Rev.
    It's really hard to see the difference cause there are too many variables. Signal, usage etc

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    07-17-2012 03:26 PM

Rev.
    I agree that it's too hard to see the difference here, because of all the variables. I noticed mine after a day or two. I just slowly realized at the same time of the day as before I had a much higher battery percentage. And it's now consistently much better than it was before disabling all that stuff. Hopefully with time, you'll see some gains.
    07-17-2012 05:39 PM
    Can we disable other things we don't use... or am I getting too excited?? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    07-17-2012 05:51 PM
    Can we disable other things we don't use... or am I getting too excited?? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    yeah disable any app u want in ICS
    07-17-2012 06:31 PM
    Very cool. Thanks for all of the great advice.
    07-17-2012 06:43 PM
    Probably something simple I am missing but after executing --

Settings > Application Manager (all) > S Voice > Disable.

How do you re-enable it? I go back into Application Manager after disabling it and S Voice no longer shows up (I did check under "All").

Dave
    Disabled apps are at the bottom of the apps list.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus
    07-17-2012 07:15 PM
    I thought this was common knowledge, that is the first thing I did when I got my phone. ICS introduced this feature. Below is what I have disabled.

1. All share controller
    2. All share play
    3. All share Service
    4. Backup Assistant Plus (Verizon)
    5. Apps (Verizon)
    6. S suggest
    7. Facebook
    8. Amazon Kindle
    9. Color
    10. My Verizon Mobile
    11. V Cast Tones
    12. VZ Navigator
    13.Yahoo Finance
    14. Yahoo News
    15. Media Hub (Samsung) ****I will stick with the "Play Store".
    Facebook?!

I basically have the same disable list as you sans FB and the All Share stuff (I own a Samsung TV and alot of family/friends picked up the S3)
    07-17-2012 07:25 PM
    I disabled S-Voice and after 1 day of testing on my train commute I went from 99%-->92% rather than 88%.

I take a 30min train ride every morning and on the AT&T network, I have little to no signal for about 10% of the ride. Everyday I do the same thing in the morning, read flipboard articles until I get to Penn Station while also using the stock media player to play music.

Almost every day I have anywhere between 85-88% and am pleased to report today I had 92% after doing the same thing. I wanted to test this method so I loaded a few more articles than I would have on any other given day.
    Zulu Warrior likes this.
    07-18-2012 08:07 AM
    I disabled S-Voice and after 1 day of testing on my train commute I went from 99%-->92% rather than 88%.

I take a 30min train ride every morning and on the AT&T network, I have little to no signal for about 10% of the ride. Everyday I do the same thing in the morning, read flipboard articles until I get to Penn Station while also using the stock media player to play music.

Almost every day I have anywhere between 85-88% and am pleased to report today I had 92% after doing the same thing. I wanted to test this method so I loaded a few more articles than I would have on any other given day.
    Sweet

07-18-2012 08:23 AM

Hey I have an hour commute and I live in Queens, NY. I bet you live in Long Island, lol! You should try Pulse for reading articles! Good app for that!
    07-18-2012 08:31 AM
    I've disabled....
    What is Samsung Account?
    07-18-2012 09:56 AM
    Anyone know what Samsung Cloud Data Relay is??
    07-18-2012 09:58 AM
    samsung account is what you log into to get more samsung apps but dont know what the cloud thing is m8
    07-18-2012 11:36 AM
    Is s-voice the thing that launches when you double-press the home button?

If you disable s-voice what happens when you double-press home?
    07-18-2012 12:22 PM
    If I never double-press home to bring up s-voice, how exactly is s-voice draining my battery?

(I had previously unchecked wake-up command)

Mike
    07-18-2012 12:25 PM
    I notice better Improvement when I noticed Twiiter wasn't doing the every 4 hours like I set it too and it was constantly downloading...so I turned the notifications off and that helped me out big time.
    07-18-2012 12:57 PM
    If I never double-press home to bring up s-voice, how exactly is s-voice draining my battery?

(I had previously unchecked wake-up command)

Mike
    I wouldn't expect it to be draining much battery either, and that's why I started this thread. It must have enough background tasks running or something I honestly don't know. All I know is I don't have a use for it, and when I disabled it I did get better battery life. I always think it's best to disable all the stuff I won't be using anyways, keep useless stuff from taking up my precious hardware. :P
    07-18-2012 01:21 PM
    So I ended up Turning S Voice back on. I have an extra battery so I'm not concerned about battery life. I did though turn off the wake up command in the S Voice settings. It clearly says that this may drain battery. That makes sense since it needs to constantly be working to listen for the command. So I think as long as you have that setting off you should be fine imo.

07-20-2012 04:01 PM
    Is s-voice the thing that launches when you double-press the home button?

If you disable s-voice what happens when you double-press home?
    then you dont get chance to double press coz the 1st press just takes u home.
    i dont understand how disabling s-voice improves battery either, it doesnt show up in battery stats + i havent a way of really testin it but i disabled everything i dont use + cant uninstall anyway + a lot of people here have noticed definate improvements so its all good in the hood
    07-20-2012 04:22 PM
    I wonder if the folks seeing huge battery improvements by disabling s voice had the listen feature set to yes???

That would explain a lot !!!!
    07-20-2012 10:53 PM
    I wonder if the folks seeing huge battery improvements by disabling s voice had the listen feature set to yes???

Probably. When I had my iphone jail broken one of the tweaks I tried out was to have siri on at all times with an command and it was a huge battery drainer

07-20-2012 11:03 PM

yeah that would explain everything lol
    07-21-2012 12:17 AM

While I can't really verify that I had the listen setting on befofehand, I am just going to assume I did. The only way I could really see getting an improvement like I saw is because it shut off that setting. I don't really mind just having it disabled though, so I'm just gonna stick with that. Thanks for helping clear it up though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3, please excuse my brevity.
    07-21-2012 12:45 PM
    The 'listening' feature is on by default, which I think is a shame, because bad battery like is will likely cause some users to return it and return to iphone.
    MrVeda likes this.
    07-21-2012 02:13 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD