Touchwiz vs Vanilla

benjaminpuna

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought my wife an S3 (her first smartphone from some LG Flip thing). She is not very tech savvy but is quite familiar with Android JB on my Nexus S, well the basics anyway as she uses my phone often... and I personally would rather her use stock android as well. Why not just get her a Galaxy Nexus then? her words 'its ugly, I want that white one (S3)' So I was thinking of flashing it with JB as soon as I get it! Question is, is this a good idea? are there any features that make touchwiz worth keeping it or not worth loosing?? as far as I can see the only thing interesting is the 2 year extension on Dropbox... any tips or suggestions would be a great help!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
theres the gimmicky stuff like s-voice, smart stay etc, dont know if shes the type to use that kind of stuff. also in the notification pull-down theres toggles for things like brightnes, bluetooth, wifi, gps, sound, etc which i find really usefull. id let her play with it for an hour and flash it if she doesnt need or like these things

benjaminpuna

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks funky! she isnt the type to use that sort of thing. s-voice etc.

The toggles however, I have the toggles as a widget on my homescreen anyway so it no biggie!

Do you know if transferring files over 5ghz will still work if I flash, or is this tied to Samsung?
also I have seen you can impose a small video over whatever it is you are doing... is there an app that allows this in Vanilla?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive no idea about the first question mate but ive heard of an app that does the "pop up video" thing nicely. cant remember the name though. if u do a thread asking about it im sure someone will tell u :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just have her use it at stock for a week or 2. Then flash cm10 or a diff asop ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought my wife an S3 (her first smartphone from some LG Flip thing). She is not very tech savvy but is quite familiar with Android JB on my Nexus S, well the basics anyway as she uses my phone often... and I personally would rather her use stock android as well. Why not just get her a Galaxy Nexus then? her words 'its ugly, I want that white one (S3)' So I was thinking of flashing it with JB as soon as I get it! Question is, is this a good idea? are there any features that make touchwiz worth keeping it or not worth loosing?? as far as I can see the only thing interesting is the 2 year extension on Dropbox... any tips or suggestions would be a great help!

If it's the international version you have, I think you should wait until jb comes out for the s3 before the end of the month.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
As someone who is a big vanilla fan I have to say Samsung have done very well with integrating all the Google JB features, I am currently running a vanilla ROM on my nexus 7 and the leaked OTA touchwiz Jellybean on my S3 and like them both just as much as each other. Also I was running CM10 (JB vanilla Rom) on my S3 before I flashed the leaked OTA and it was still quite buggy as samsung haven't released their source code for JB yet. My advice would be to wait untill thier is 100% stable release of vanilla JB untill you change from touchwiz.

I also never root a device untill I have used it for about a week incase their are any faults with it and I have to claim on my warranty ( I know I could just root and unroot, but I don't have time lol)

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Imho...since your wife is not tech savvy touch wiz might be better than vanilla jb. Touch wiz imo tries to put a human face over Lloyd:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
As someone who is a big vanilla fan I have to say Samsung have done very well with integrating all the Google JB features, I am currently running a vanilla ROM on my nexus 7 and the leaked OTA touchwiz Jellybean on my S3 and like them both just as much as each other. Also I was running CM10 (JB vanilla Rom) on my S3 before I flashed the leaked OTA and it was still quite buggy as samsung haven't released their source code for JB yet. My advice would be to wait untill thier is 100% stable release of vanilla JB untill you change from touchwiz.

I also never root a device untill I have used it for about a week incase their are any faults with it and I have to claim on my warranty ( I know I could just root and unroot, but I don't have time lol)

Hi,
Can you comment on how the Touchwiz Jellybean on your S3 has changed since Touchwiz ICS, if any? Are there any features like scrolling docks, folder options, resizeable widgets, etc. like other launchers offer? :) Can't wait to try JB, and like ICS with Touchwiz on my S3 enough, but have been hoping for some of the features available in launchers like Nova, Apex, etc. Can't stand the way a folder looks in touchwiz!:)

By the way, anyone happen to know if Nova or Apex and apps like minimal text or simple text are/will be compatible with Jellybean?

Thanks!

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
As someone who has used CM10 JB and the TouchWiz ICS on the GS3. I have to tip my hat to TouchWiz. They did an outstanding job. There are tons of features that you lose by switching. Such as all the gesture controls, the camera app, the notification bar toggles (I know you said you have them on your home screen but to not have to stop what you'er doing to go home to toggle something to then go back to the app or whatever you're using is so great). The only thing that is really missing from TouchWiz in its current form is google now. But if you root you can add that.

Reactions: benjaminpuna

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Losing the touchwiz camera app will be your biggest loss. No burst mode, no true zero lag shudder, so much less options and the photos don't come out as good either. The drop down toggles are much more convenient than plain vanilla jb. But if you flash cm10 it should have the toggle option in the settings.

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Eh.. well Touchwiz 5 or w/e you want to call it is still cartoonish.. but it has nice little effect like the ripples and its notification sounds, swipe to message/call a contact, Swipe to take a screenshot..Smart Stay, Easy UI etc etc.. But you also lose the amazing Touchwiz camera app.. no burst mode, no effects, no additional settings

Touchwiz is nice to demo your phone to someone rather than Vanilla.. i haven't even found a stable CM10 build yet for me..

your not losing too much.. besides camera.. but you'll gain bugs since most CM10/AOKP builds are still in beta.. or Alpha

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't flash any cm10 based roms just yet they aren't fully stable and many of the functions haven't been meged yet. As mentioned in previous posts give it a few weeks and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't flash any cm10 based roms just yet they aren't fully stable and many of the functions haven't been meged yet. As mentioned in previous posts give it a few weeks and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

yeah wait til the devs have a good play with the official s3 jb update and we should see some great work :)

benjaminpuna

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! At first she bawked at the size of it, but now she loves it.. (Keep it clean)

I had a fiddle with the cam app too and have to say it pretty impressive! photo quality is awesome and adding to that the screen size and quality! I never thought I would say this but my Nexus S is feeling very underwhelming :( I still love her though! I'll wait till the next nexus is out!

Still not completely sold on Touchwiz though!