Screen turns off when you try to enter voice mail pass

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Basically I call my voice mail, when I'm prompted to enter the password, I take the phone away from my ear and as soon as I start entering the password, the screen turns off.

I already googled this issue and it seems to be the proximity sensor issue. But when I disable it in the Call app, you can accidently hang up with your cheek since the screen doesn't turn off.

Please suggest a solution. It drives me nuts!

Thanks

Coolfreak

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's the way your typing. When you go to enter your password... Take care to not block the sensor. It takes a little getting used too.. But you'll get good at it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sd1235678

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Basically I call my voice mail, when I'm prompted to enter the password, I take the phone away from my ear and as soon as I start entering the password, the screen turns off.

I already googled this issue and it seems to be the proximity sensor issue. But when I disable it in the Call app, you can accidently hang up with your cheek since the screen doesn't turn off.

Please suggest a solution. It drives me nuts!

Thanks
I have the same very same issue. But I've noticed that it is only when I need to try to access my voicemail by clicking on the voicemail reminder that comes in when somebody leaves me a voicemail. Usually when I access through this process the screen turns off within 2to 3 digits I attempt to type in for my password. I've noticed if I access my voicemail using the keypad to call in directly that I do not have any issues typing in the password having the screen shut down. I also have an issue with people complaining that they can't hear me very well when I I am using the speaker mode. Additionally the earnbuds that came with the phone apparently aren't that clear. It's unfortunate that this phone has all the bells and whistles and searching the internet and the GPS but sucks performing basic phone functions. guess I'll fall into that trap of having to next year upgrade

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:54 AM ----------

By the way it took me forever to type this message using my samsung phone.

Maskawisewin

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue as well. It happens on some phone calls, not all, when you have to enable the keypad and push a key to select an option. The screen immediately shuts off upon pressing a key. I'm not covering the sensor either-- this is a legitimate bug. You can workaround the bug by enabling the speaker but I haven't figured out a way to get it to work without the speaker enabled other than hanging up, redialing and hoping for the best. It is a very annoying bug if I have to push a button after waiting on hold for an extended amount of time.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Use your left hand to type in the code. I cause this to happen all the time when trying to use my right hand and cover the sensor. If I use my left it never happens.

marty123nyc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
wow, tried entering my passcode with my left hand as suggested and it worked perfectly. pretty amazing although there ought to be a fix for this so i do not have to "work around" it.

thanks

Spartus01

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
If you go to settings and scroll down to One -Hand operation. Select Keypad & in-call buttons. that will change to one handed operation and you can use either hand and the screen will remain on although the screen size will be reduced

Robert...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Where is this "one hand" setting? I can't find it anywhere in either settings or phone settings.

FWIW, I've never had any issues with the proximity sensor when entering values on the keypad during a call. How do you guys hold your phone?