Galaxy S3: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

Don't know what Google can do as my S3 and the majority of others does Portrait and Landscape the way it is suppose to. Have no problem here. Have you tried calibrating the Gyroscope. Settings>Motion>Sensitivity Settings>Gyroscope calibration.

mrgreen8

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I just switched over from the iphone to the S4 and am having this same issue. It's insanely infuriating - i can't upload a picture to twitter, instagarm, ANYWHERE without it showing up sideways - and even if i go into the photo and rotate it sideways to then upload it, STILL THE SAME ISSUE.

Did you figure out a way to solve it?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Precisely.
Think of the shape of any camera!
Sorry, but real cameras can be turned to take portrait format pictures. In case you haven't noticed, many things in the world are vertically oriented, like people, office buildings, trees, etc. Not all pictures should be in landscape format.

femme

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Just crop the picture, without actually cropping any of it and it will straighten up. :)

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but real cameras can be turned to take portrait format pictures.

Ok, pet peve. Soapbox mode on :)

Turn a film camera to portrait, snap the photo, then look at the print. It WILL be sideways with the top of the portrait to the left or right depending on how you turned the camera. When I used to load a slide tray I couldn't just drop the slides in--you had to look at each one and manually rotate the ones shot in portrait. How else could it work--the lens and film are in fixed relationship designed to fill the frame. Digital cameras are the same. My $2k Nikon still has a fixed relationship between the lens and the CCD designed to fill the frame. Nothing physically rotates inside the camera if I rotate the entire camera to take a portrait shot. The left side of the viewfinder, whether optical or LCD, when viewed in normal landscape mode ALWAYS corresponds to the PHYSICAL left side of the CCD. The earlier digital cameras didn't even have an auto-rotate playback function. Until the orientation field was added to the exif data there was no way for the playback function to even know how the picture was taken--a portrait photo was displayed like it was physically taken--sideways. Only when the exif standard changed to record orientation info did cameras start offering an auto-rotate function to display "portrait" shots vertically with the camera held horizontally. And it is a DISPLAY option for playback--look in your user manual if you don't believe me. If it's used as specified it should have no affect AT ALL on how the picture is stored other than the exif field--it doesn't cause the CCD to physically rotate nor does it rotate the image before storing it. Lossless rotation is a time and CPU intensive operation even on a PC--there is no way a camera or phone has time to do that before storing the file. People ***** enough about not taking shots fast enough now without more pre-processing going on. If 3rd party applications, whether on the phone, online or on a PC, don't process the exif data correctly to rotate the photo when THEY display it that IS NOT the phones fault. It is NOT a bug unless the camera app is not storing the exif orientation code correctly. And that isn't the case on the S3 and S4 because many if not most apps are rotating the photos correctly when displayed.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Ok, pet peve. Soapbox mode on :)

Turn a film camera to portrait, snap the photo, then look at the print. It WILL be sideways with the top of the portrait to the left or right depending on how you turned the camera.

Seriously? I don't know about you, but I always hold prints in the proper orientation relative the how it was shot, so I NEVER look at portrait format pictures in landscape view. And the problem isn't that you have to rotate the phone to view portrait format images correctly, it's that even when you upload them to certain web sites, or view them in certain image viewing programs, the photo isn't properly displayed.

The issue here is that one can't rotate your computer monitor, or Facebook. That's why digital images contain meta data called EXIF, which indicates the format (portrait or landscape) the image was shot in. It appears that the GS3 either doesn't always record that correctly, or some image applications don't interpret the GS3 meta data properly. The phone doesn't have to do any rotation at all, it only needs to properly record the exif. And based on some of the posts in this thread it appears it doesn't always do that. If images from other phones display correctly on Facebook, and images from the S3 do not, it would appear to be a problem with at least some versions of the S3 photo app.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Seriously? I don't know about you, but I always hold prints in the proper orientation relative the how it was shot, so I NEVER look at portrait format pictures in landscape view.

Sure, but that means YOU are "rotating" the photo AFTER it was taken NOT the camera doing it BEFORE capturing it. Same as digital.

It appears that the GS3 either doesn't always record that correctly, or some image applications don't interpret the GS3 meta data properly.

Agreed. But I've uploaded a lot of photos to the PC and NONE have failed to display correctly in 4 of the 5 programs I use and EVERY portrait shot has failed to rotate in the 5th program. So my vote is on the interpretation reason.

If images from other phones display correctly on Facebook, and images from the S3 do not, it would appear to be a problem with at least some versions of the S3 photo app.

Could also be the method or app used to upload. Wonder if it's only happening to pictures that are being auto-compressed; the exif could be dropped or screwed up then.

Kingsnoofer

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

I have been following this thread because it describes an issue I just recently started experiencing. Up until about a month ago if I held the camera portrait, the icons on the bottom were oriented properly, I took a picture and it displayed in the phone and on the pc as portrait. If I held it landscape, the icons stayed on the "bottom" of the phone but rotated in their respective spots to be right side up from my point of view. The pics showed up in the phone and on the pc landscape. But about a month ago, all of a sudden, pictures I took in portrait orientation (as I always had done, not changing my procedures in any way), are displaying in my phone as portrait, but sideways on the pc. All along the icons are still reacting to the change in orientation. So the phone knows I am flipping from portrait to landscape. So it's not my rotation settings or my camera settings. Somehow things are getting lost in translation from phone to PC. This also happens if I copy directly from the phone via explorer as well as importing through Picasa. I have used Picasa before and after this debacle. Even those imported through Picasa show in picasa with the right orientation but still sideways when viewed in the file itself.

Telling me to take a picture "properly" in landscape doesn't change the fact that up until a month ago things worked as intended THEN BROKE somehow. NOW, doing everything the same as I did before the kablooie garners different, broken results. I am pretty sure this is what the OP and others here are experiencing and asking for help.

If anyone knows why this is happening please help. It's becoming very annoying. It is also happening to video. Everything is showing on the phone as ready to take video as portrait (the way MOST users use their phone camera btw) yet playing the file on the pc outside of picasa still shows it sideways. And yes I try it with multiple video players, even my WD Live.

Kingsnoofer

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Oh yes. Samsung S2 T989 running AOKP custom rom (forget which version) And no I installed the rom long ago a while before this started happening.

grayjay

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I have had my Galaxy S4 for a couple of weeks. I frequently take pictures and email them. My wife kept complaining to me that I was sending them sideways or upside down. The pictures are all upright in my Gallery. I finally had a long "chat" today, directly with Samsung. Even though the pictures show upright on my phone, they are sent in whatever position the phone might have been held when the picture was taken. All "portrait" pictures will email with the top of the picture sideways to the left. If the phone is held in the wrong "landscape" position, it will email upside down. Samsung's solution is to tell you that when the picture is received on the other device, that person can edit it, to get it in the right perspective. That is so stupid. I had a Droid X2 the past 3 years, and I never had this problem. There is no fix to this, it is just how Samsung made it. I now hate my phone, which I bought primarily because of the good camera.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Well, send me your S4 and I'll send you my old HTC Thunderbolt, which never had this problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

spidermuffinart

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm commenting here because as a developer this is really irritating. It's a bug because it's something Samsung is doing to their phones that stock Android deals with properly. The argument that regular cameras always render in landscape is irrelevant because smartphones are.. well.. smarter than that. They recognize the orientation you are holding your device in and are fully capable of rotating the saved image appropriately.
Not rotating and leaving to the EXIFF data is a shortcut that may make photos save quicker, but breaks compatibility when sharing photos with other applications. It renders correctly in the gallery because the samsung gallery app knows that they did wonky stuff to the samsung camera app.
Having a nonstandard implementation makes extra work for Android developers and furthers device fragmentation.

</rant>

spidermonkey321

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

ok I found a easy solution that worked for me. I just downloaded another camera app from the playstore called cymera and used it to take pictures. Now all my portrait pics are remaining upright. Before all my portrait pics were appearing sideways whenever I tried opening it in another app mainly 'stylish girl'. Haven't tried emailing pics to myself or anything but hopefully this will help someone...

Wattsay

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

New owner of a Galaxy s3 and this " bug" is driving me crazy. Didn't happen with my old HTC phone, doesn't happen with my iPod Touch. And it's not fair to blame the applications when it's widely used applications like Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, etc. Samsung needs to fix this, pronto. I'm tired if looking like an ***** who doesn't know how to take pictures/upload them correctly.

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I have the GN2 and my mother has a GS3. Some of the pictures we put up on the Tv are displayed upside down or rotated to the left or right. Doesn't matter if the picture was shot in portrait or landscape and auto screen rotation is always checked.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

pdaustin

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Photos are always being rotated! Why! I fixed it... YAY!!!!

I have a galaxy s4 and it started turning any picture I posted sideways or up side down. I went into the camera, and then into settings, opened settings and hit the reset and ifixed it and all of my pictures, no matter how they were originally taken landscape or potriat when posted are correct. Finally, I have been trying to figure this out for months....

pdaustin

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy s4 and the same thing happened to me everything I posted no matter how it was originally taken was either upside down or sideways, eithe on the PC, Facebook where ever. No one could tell me why or what to do about it. I went into my camera, opened the settings, went into settings and hit reset.... It fixed it, now my pistures post the way they are on my phone. YAY!!!! finally.....
I don't know what had happened to cause it ti start doing that but going to reset fixed it....

pdaustin

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

There is a fix... mine was doing it too. go into your camera, then into settings, open up settings and hit reset. It fixed mine and now they post the right way...

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Is this just me?
Every time I take a pic from my phone, it takes it correctly with the photo not rotated and even when I look in the gallery it isn't rotated, but when I load the photos on my computer or I try and upload them somewhere on my phone (ex Instagram, Facebook, Profile image for Android forums app) then it always ends up rotated and it's so annoying! It's not rotated in my gallery but it's rotated everywhere else and some apps won't let me rotate it to normal .... Anyone notice this? How do I fix!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Glad you asked this question. My phone always takes pics and will rotate them in go sms and then I have to rotate them back. I always expected the photos taken to stay tbe same no matter how I take them. As a person who almost exclusively takes pics in portrait mode, my mind is kinda blown too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89