Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used both Android and iOS devices and I could never see myself getting an iPhone again after seeing how boring it is compared to the Android OS. If you want something basic and don't care much for tinkering then iOS is better.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
threads like this are really hard for me to reply to as even when the first ipod was released, the whole trendy thing didnt appeal to me and even back then i didnt like the idea of itunes, maybe thats the type of person i am, i dont want to fit in and (i know this sounds like a terrible cleche) "follow the herd". id rather have had a generic mp3 player.

id say if you arent in any way geeky or passionate about technology and just want it to work for you without you making it work for you then get another iphone.
its not about ip5 vs s3 imo, its android vs ios and s3 is arguably one of the best androids yet.
neither is right or wrong, its just what type of person you are.
all i ask of people is not to buy an s3 expecting a big iphone and then moan about it :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Here is a ton of info on just what is different between iOS and Android. Watch all the videos and you will be amazed...
...and they say that I phones are just easier and more simple to use!....

#1 of 5... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#2 of 5... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx4XsBaJBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#3 of 5... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGQ_xts_Gw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#4 of 5... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPKVWv1WxU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#5 of 5... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5A4k1bDV0s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Last summer, 2011 I switched from my then iPhone 4 to a Droid Charge. I tried really hard to like android, but I had been using an iPhone for about a year and a half and I really liked it. My initial motivation was screen size and 4g LTE. After 4 months with the Charge I couldn't wait to get back to the iPhone. I made the switch when the 4s came out, even standing in line at the Apple store. I use iTunes and have Macs at home so the iPhone really is the right phone for me.

Fast forward to this summer. I see the ads for the GS3 and like what I see. I start my research, look at the phone in the store a couple times, then decide to pull the trigger. I bought it at Best Buy and am a premier RZ member, so I had a 60 day return policy since I had to pay retail. I figured 60 days was long enough to see if I would miss my iPhone again. Funny part of the story is that day number 60 was the day the iPhone 5 was announced and I didn't even think about heading to BB after seeing the announcement.

For me it is about several things:
1 screen size is a big one
2 screen customization- I love being able to change my home screens to fit my mood, taste, or whatever other reason
3 flexibility- I still sync with iTunes every night with iSyncr. But, I can get music from other sources, back up in other ways, get apps from several different sources, etc.
4 SD card and removable battery are also nice and add additional flexibility. I used to have to keep my 4s on the car charger a lot. I travel for work and use my phone to stream music, pandora, etc. With the SD card I effectively doubled my system storage for $30 versus $100 with the iPhone. I bought a bigger battery and now I never have to charge until the end of the day.
5 micro USB. Way cheaper and easier with this.

The GS3 is not without its quirks, but all phones have some issues. I was very pleased at how much better the GS3 was over the Droid Charge last year. ICS is also a huge leap versus Froyo, which was on the Charge.

I understand your dilemma because that's where I was last year. I made all the excuses in my own mind why iOS was better. Even when I got the GS3 I only planned on trying it out, knowing full well I would return it. I was really surprised at how much I liked it once I had some time with it. I was more tolerant of the differences in the OS's than I was last year, which helped. If I was forced back to iPhone I wouldn't be devastated, but I would be disappointed. The iPhone is a great phone with a great OS, however I think Android gives me more of what I like and expect in a smart phone.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Between these 2 phones is pretty obvious the gs3 is better. Facts speak for themselves.

Now would you like it more is the question for you.

Better phone isn't always the phone you like more.

Example, the galaxy s III is a better phone than the one x, but a lot of people like the one x more

The galaxy note 2 is clearly better than the galaxy s III, but I still like my gs3 more due to it being just the right size for a phone and still fast.

Pick what you like more, if the same ol same ol and not having new technology works for you, go with the iPhone 5 (which would have been impressive 2 years ago)

If you like to fix things exactly how you like them, the option to choose, having the latest technology, working maps, no tint on your camera, an excellent sized screen,NFC, motion control, voice control (download assistant,s voice sucks), and the ability to install any app you want without voiding your warranty, stick with the galaxy s III.

no one else can tell you what you would like more

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
First off I don't own GS3 (don't care for Samsung products), but have Nexus One and a Nexus7.

As you already know, iPhone hardware is a work of art compared to Samsung. Also, many of the day to day apps (email, player) are much more polished and usable on iOS.

Android has more bells and whistles, and does many things iPhone doesn't. Love widgets, notifications are done better but there absence would not be deal breakers for me. So why do I use a Nexus? I guess the main reason is I want an open phone with no contracts. Data plans are hit and miss where I live so I refuse to be married to one.

Next is that I prefer the open file system. I like that I can just download a podcast or needed file on my way out the door rather than having to make changes in iTunes and wait for a full sync.

What I miss most about not having the iPhone are:

The beauty of the hardware.

The very capable camera (this from an SLR guy).

An email app I can do useful work with without a bunch of hassles.

The music/podcast player.

Overall a much more stable OS that has fewer annoying little glitches.

Note that I have been a Mac guy since '84, have had iOS devices since day one, and develop for both platforms. I am not a "fan" of any platform. I have always chosen what works best for what I do. While I prefer Android over iOS at this point, I will be the first to admit that iPhone does what it does better than Android. Better hardware, better software, better customer service.

If iPhone does all that you want, and you don't mind being under contract, it is IMHO, the best tool for that job.

remember though, the s3 camera is better than any of the Nexi..Nexuses..? lol
and theres some really good android music players but i agree with the rest.
im really not a samsung (or htc) fan, they just happened to be the most powerful android based phones and i am an android fan :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of the hardware.

An email app I can do useful work with without a bunch of hassles.

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks the iPhone's hardware is hideous. It's just a black ugly square slab. I know I'm in the minority on that but I've never liked it. Boring. Maybe I like my phones like my women...with some curves and personality.

I also never understood people's praise of the email on iOS. You're limited with attachments (types allowed) and up until ios6 you couldn't even have different signatures on different accounts. It's ridiculous but at least now I can have different signatures so its not completely useless on my iPad, but my Android phone is still my go to device for managing email.

As others noted, the GS3 blows away the iPhone on dozens of features, but only if you use the advantages of Android. If you don't care about customization or screen size or widgets or multitasking or 'real' maps or any of the other dozens of advantages Android has, then an iPhone will work just as well.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
True HD is 1080p...so no phone does True HD. Also you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the iphone 5s resolution and the S3 resolution and anyone that knows about displays will tell you this. Now you'll see the difference in the display since the SG3 is pentile and uses AMOLED display and the iphone 5 uses IPS LCD screen. Test have shown the iphone 5 display is better and so has other benchmarks test.

To the OP....I just prefer to stay with android and I know when Apple has the more powerful device and will admit it..which it does. The iphone 5 is a beast of a phone and if you miss it then I would go purchase it, but you'll probably come back to android next year when the android devices are faster then the iphone 5 and you'll be stuck in a cycle of not being happy and keep changing devices.

It's does 720p, the iphone 5 doesn't though it claims it does

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol monkey i do like curves on my women but i do like my gadgets to look industrial, like space-age tools lol. i prefer the look of the One X over the s3 for example.
a phone this size built like an iphone would probably weigh a tonne and/or cost a fortune though :)

p.s, after handling the N7 yday,..... that is one beautiful black slab lol :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I love that this thread has remained positive and helpful. Quite a change on any ios vs android post imo.

Definitely personal usage will determine what platform you choose. I think a good example of this is by defining the general user vs the super user. I know lots of people that use android and love it but use very few features. My wife still uses a BlackBerry because she can't get enough of the keyboard. But she does very little with her phone. Browsing Facebook, texting and email is 95 percent of her total experience. She has a tablet and does the same. Laptop and desktop computers same thing. Due to this fact I never buy her any device that requires any real horsepower. She doesn't need it or notice it.

So i think that once you define your needs in a phone you will get a better picture of what is better for you. As one poster stated... Tell us what you miss in iOS and you may have your answer. If your S3 does more but doesn't feel right then all the other features are moot. It has to fit your personality and what you expect from a device. Everything else is just someone's opinion based on their needs.

Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually like push notifications on iOS better than notifications on Android. I have both an AT&T S3 and an AT&T iPhone 5. I use the iPhone more, but I rooted my S3 and have been having a lot of fun with flashing ROMs lately . Just my honest opinion I was a long time android user and I bought an iPhone a year ago (4S) and for some reason I'm kinda hooked. But I could never give up android I love both OS's equally in their own ways, but for a daily driver I just prefer the iPhone for day to day tasks and organization. Just my opinion. U gotta find what's right for you, it seems to me your Leaning towards the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I love that this thread has remained positive and helpful. Quite a change on any ios vs android post imo.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

oh definately mate and this is how a discussion should be :)

its ok for android/ios folk to poke friendly fun at each other but when it comes down to people deciding on a phone to invest in for X amount of time, a good natured, fair thread like this is great :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I actually like push notifications on iOS better than notifications on Android. I have both an AT&T S3 and an AT&T iPhone 5. I use the iPhone more, but I rooted my S3 and have been having a lot of fun with flashing ROMs lately . Just my honest opinion I was a long time android user and I bought an iPhone a year ago (4S) and for some reason I'm kinda hooked. But I could never give up android I love both OS's equally in their own ways, but for a daily driver I just prefer the iPhone for day to day tasks and organization. Just my opinion. U gotta find what's right for you, it seems to me your Leaning towards the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

And I still think Blackberry has both systems beat for message delivery.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
And I still think Blackberry has both systems beat for message delivery.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

i doubt anyone would deny that mate but wheres the future in bb lol :p

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Between these 2 phones is pretty obvious the gs3 is better. Facts speak for themselves.

That isn't a fact at all.

To the OP you shouldn't need anyone to tell you why you should choose which phone or platform. My girlfriend and I each got a iPhone 5 on launch day for a few reasons. P.S. both of us had unlocked Galaxy Nexus's prior.

1. Hardware
It seems that the hardware both aesthetically, constructional, and functional wise is heads up above much of the competition. The galaxy nexus radios (wifi and signal wise were weak). The GPS on my phone didn't work at all so having the great native Google Maps was useless to me. This was the second Samsung phone I've owned that had a crap GPS. The first was the Epic 4G. The pentile screen on the Galaxy Nexus was also terrible. Artifacts when watching videos, grainy and lines through the screen. The iPhone screen is true to colors,clear, bright, can actually display white, and has all sub pixels. The wifi chip is superb and the camera is fantastic.

2. Updates, if there is a update you're able to update your phone immediately. On android not so much, unless you purchase a nexus which I did but as stated above had many issues.

3. Ecosystem, iOS has the best apps. The performance of the apps are smoother in comparison to android often times. Also there are many iOS exclusives not available on android. And often times you have to wait forever if a app is to crossover (many don't). Forget people telling you your locked into iTunes. Android doesn't have a official sync app. I have to root to back up app data. And on android you either use the google play store or the amazon app store (many just use the google play store) so its the same thing. My girlfriend works in the medical field as a registered nurse and there are great medical apps on iOS.

4.Customer serivce, no android oem can give you anywhere near the customer service Apple can. If you have a problem no need to deal with the carrier take a trip to a Apple store and get great service and painless replacements if necessary.

5. Battery, the actually battery life is better most of the time. I mean actually usage. In my experience android couldn't compare at all in actual usage time. Thats accross phones and tablets (I have a nexus 7 and iPad 2)

6.Integration, if you have to be integrated into a system iOS is often preferred over android.

7. Stability, android on 4.0 and 4.1 has greatly improved the stability of android. It is a huge difference from previous versions but I still give the lead to iOS.

8. Resale value. If you switch phones often and sell your old phone and put in the difference to get a new one no other phone is going to retain its value better.

There are some shortcoming of course like not being able to change the default apps. The stock apps do work well though. Not having a choice on screen sizes, although not everyone wants a 5inch screen on their phone. Contrary to what some on android central believe. Just weigh what is most important to you and make your decision. I'll keep my nexus 7 to still be in the android mix. I may or may not sell my galaxy nexus.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually think I'm going to give the iphone 5 a try this year. One thing about being on a android forum is most of the ppl are bias and don't know much about ios and trying to throw their opinion on you as fact. I did my own research and a lot of the things ppl complain about is nonsense or actually can be done by jailbreaking the iphone. Jailbreaking looks to be easy and from the videos I've seen on youtube they'res a lot of customization and tinkering can be done when jailbroken. I found a file manager app and even found a app to move files to the computer to the iphone without itunes. All this stuff I didn't know because I stayed on android forums and didn't care much about ios. This thread made me actually look into the iphone more and from the time I made my first post in this thread until now all I've been doing is researching. The phone is sexy and once a jailbreak comes out for it i'll purchase it and give it a try. The screen size shouldn't be a problem since I do a lot of my browsing on a computer and my Transformer Prime tablet. These phone companies need to start coming out with more high end 4in screen phones instead of 4.5+ in and next year 5+in seems will be the norm.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
ugh..it's all about your opinion. if you like your old iPhone after three months of using the S3 then it's not for you. Maybe you have not found all the nice features yet. I'm not going to tell you what to do, what to think, and definitely not write a long list of things that the S3 has that is better then your old iPhone.

I actually think I'm going to give the iphone 5 a try this year. One thing about being on a android forum is most of the ppl are bias and don't know much about ios and trying to throw their opinion on you as fact. I did my own research and a lot of the things ppl complain about is nonsense or actually can be done by jailbreaking the iphone. Jailbreaking looks to be easy and from the videos I've seen on youtube they'res a lot of customization and tinkering can be done when jailbroken. I found a file manager app and even found a app to move files to the computer to the iphone without itunes. All this stuff I didn't know because I stayed on android forums and didn't care much about ios. This thread made me actually look into the iphone more and from the time I made my first post in this thread until now all I've been doing is researching. The phone is sexy and once a jailbreak comes out for it i'll purchase it and give it a try. The screen size shouldn't be a problem since I do a lot of my browsing on a computer and my Transformer Prime tablet. These phone companies need to start coming out with more high end 4in screen phones instead of 4.5+ in and next year 5+in seems will be the norm.

There will be bias everywhere you go. In my opinion there is more bias in the Apple side. It is near impossible to say anything negative about iOS and positive about Android without getting chewed out and being framed as a bias fool "like what you did when you said most of the people are bias without knowing iOS or using it."

Everyone with some basic and a little more knowledge on phones know about Jailbreaking, it's basically another word for rooting. The difference is iOS needs to root inorder to get many features that Android has without rooting. I find it funny how you call people's complaints and neccesities nonsense. iOS came out earlier than Android, so lots of people have experience with iOS. I would even go far to think that atleast 50% of the users on here (excluding the ones with single digit post) have used and even owned an iOS device.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
That isn't a fact at all.

To the OP you shouldn't need anyone to tell you why you should choose which phone or platform. My girlfriend and I each got a iPhone 5 on launch day for a few reasons. P.S. both of us had unlocked Galaxy Nexus's prior.

1. Hardware
It seems that the hardware both aesthetically, constructional, and functional wise is heads up above much of the competition. The galaxy nexus radios (wifi and signal wise were weak). The GPS on my phone didn't work at all so having the great native Google Maps was useless to me. This was the second Samsung phone I've owned that had a crap GPS. The first was the Epic 4G. The pentile screen on the Galaxy Nexus was also terrible. Artifacts when watching videos, grainy and lines through the screen. The iPhone screen is true to colors,clear, bright, can actually display white, and has all sub pixels. The wifi chip is superb and the camera is fantastic.

2. Updates, if there is a update you're able to update your phone immediately. On android not so much, unless you purchase a nexus which I did but as stated above had many issues.

3. Ecosystem, iOS has the best apps. The performance of the apps are smoother in comparison to android often times. Also there are many iOS exclusives not available on android. And often times you have to wait forever if a app is to crossover (many don't). Forget people telling you your locked into iTunes. Android doesn't have a official sync app. I have to root to back up app data. And on android you either use the google play store or the amazon app store (many just use the google play store) so its the same thing. My girlfriend works in the medical field as a registered nurse and there are great medical apps on iOS.

4.Customer serivce, no android oem can give you anywhere near the customer service Apple can. If you have a problem no need to deal with the carrier take a trip to a Apple store and get great service and painless replacements if necessary.

5. Battery, the actually battery life is better most of the time. I mean actually usage. In my experience android couldn't compare at all in actual usage time. Thats accross phones and tablets (I have a nexus 7 and iPad 2)

6.Integration, if you have to be integrated into a system iOS is often preferred over android.

7. Stability, android on 4.0 and 4.1 has greatly improved the stability of android. It is a huge difference from previous versions but I still give the lead to iOS.

8. Resale value. If you switch phones often and sell your old phone and put in the difference to get a new one no other phone is going to retain its value better.

There are some shortcoming of course like not being able to change the default apps. The stock apps do work well though. Not having a choice on screen sizes, although not everyone wants a 5inch screen on their phone. Contrary to what some on android central believe. Just weigh what is most important to you and make your decision. I'll keep my nexus 7 to still be in the android mix. I may or may not sell my galaxy nexus.

I like this post and has a lot of information. Instead of posting the SG3 is better and that is fact. People need to stop trying to justifying their devices. Like I said before the SG3 isn't better and benchmarks show that and that is actually a fact. I use to think apple fanboys were bad but for the last year it seems android fanboys have gotton twice as worst