Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The point is the SG3 nor iphone does True/Full HD. 720p is not True/Full HD no matter how you spin it. Also you linked to someones opinion. Benchmarks that test the screens show other wise. You have to be a fool or tech noob to think a AOMLED that's pentile is going to look better then IPS LCD screen. Unlike most ppl here I don't try to justify my purchase of a SG3 and will admit when something is better.

I would agree that I like an IPS lcd better. The HTC One X for example looks better to me than the sgs3. But your justification of what is hd is ludicrous. All hd channels run at 720p which last time I checked is HD. Yes there are enhanced technologies that make this better, but I would not say the iPhone 5 is the same hd comparison as the sgs3 because it's not even running 720p.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well let me chime in with my extra cents...lol

My Droid X1, had frequent reboot issues when I would listen to the FM radio and mp3's. My RAZR...rebooted once since 11-11-2011 while using the GPS. Hasnt since. Many say the Droid X1 was a great phone, and I agree, reboots aside. I feel my RAZR is even better. Many say the GB update was a disaster for the DX1, I disagree.

I have seen an iPhone 4 lock up while a co worker was showing us a clip of his childs school play. It eventually went back to the home screen.....

Android isnt as unstable as some make it, and iOS, the iPhone isnt as stable as some make it. They handle crashes differently. iOS will eventually kick you back to the home screen, Android will show a force close message. Both ways are the same thing as having Windows Error Reporting turned on and off. Bottom line, whatever works good for you, thats all that matters. If you had good or bad experiences with Android or the iPhone, that will probably dictate your opinion.

My kids mother has an iPhone 4...and we both were lost the first time she used it. She thought you had to get a BlueTooth app from the App Store, I had to go online to find out where BlueTooth settings were in iOS. We were both used to BlueTooth being in Network and Wireless Settings. It was in General on iOS. iOS isnt so much easier to use, its just what you are more comfortable using. We both agreed we liked Android better. BUT....she has a Nexus S too...and likes her iPhone better...lol. Is that Android vs iOS, or the Nexus S vs the iPhone?

Easy to use, intuitive, just works.....its all relative, a matter of perspective. We both felt Android was easier to use. And I found Android easier to get used to after using Win Mo for a year.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Still awaiting reasons why the iphone is considered better than the GS3... All I hear are a select few people defending the ip5 over the GS3 and the other way around... When I look around on the internets all I see are reason the GS3 is better but I want to know SPECIFICALLY why the ip5 is better than the GS3. Say for example, someone's first smart phone yet they are still tech savvy. If it were me, based on the reasons I have been reading, why on earth would someone choose the ip5 over the GS3? You simply get so much more for your money with the GS3.

The only remote reason I see that is valid as to why the ip5 is better would be the size - some say you can't text one handed with the GS3. Not sure if that's accurate as I have no issues with that and I am not a big guy...

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Still awaiting reasons why the iphone is considered better than the GS3... All I hear are a select few people defending the ip5 over the GS3 and the other way around... When I look around on the internets all I see are reason the GS3 is better but I want to know SPECIFICALLY why the ip5 is better than the GS3. Say for example, someone's first smart phone yet they are still tech savvy. If it were me, based on the reasons I have been reading, why on earth would someone choose the ip5 over the GS3? You simply get so much more for your money with the GS3.

The only remote reason I see that is valid as to why the ip5 is better would be the size - some say you can't text one handed with the GS3. Not sure if that's accurate as I have no issues with that and I am not a big guy...
All I can think of is customer support.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
@Maccorf, WiFi tethering on Android no longer requires any rooting / ROMing/ etc because of an app called FoxFi! I was implying that you just can't download an app on the iPhone and have free wireless tethering, but instead you have to jailbreak and then using Cydia download a backdoor app that can make a free wireless hotspot. This of course requires MUCH more work and most average users will not be able to complete the whole jailbreaking process while just about anyone can download an app and tap "Activate Hotspot"!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
@Maccorf, WiFi tethering on Android no longer requires any rooting / ROMing/ etc because of an app called FoxFi! I was implying that you just can't download an app on the iPhone and have free wireless tethering, but instead you have to jailbreak and then using Cydia download a backdoor app that can make a free wireless hotspot. This of course requires MUCH more work and most average users will not be able to complete the whole jailbreaking process while just about anyone can download an app and tap "Activate Hotspot"!
So FoxFi let's you turn your phone into a Wifi hotspot for free? I've been wondering what it is. I'm assuming it still affects your data?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
The point is the SG3 nor iphone does True/Full HD. 720p is not True/Full HD no matter how you spin it. Also you linked to someones opinion. Benchmarks that test the screens show other wise. You have to be a fool or tech noob to think a AOMLED that's pentile is going to look better then IPS LCD screen. Unlike most ppl here I don't try to justify my purchase of a SG3 and will admit when something is better.

I'm sorry, but to be frank you simply don't know what you're talking about. I guess you'd claim that 720p flat panel televisions aren't "True/Full HD" either, and you'd be wrong about that too. I'm a professional engineer, with a pretty good background and understanding of television technology, so your attempt to dismiss me as a "tech noob" is laughable at best. :-[ 720p is "True/Full HD" as are 1080i and 1080p. That's not spin (unlike your opinion) but simple fact, based on the published specifications for HD broadcast formats.

And I'm not trying to justify anything. I didn't weigh in on which phone is "better" and agree that for some the S3 is, and for others they'll like the iPhone 5 better. Just trying to correct your totally incorrect statements about HD formats, period.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
So FoxFi let's you turn your phone into a Wifi hotspot for free? I've been wondering what it is. I'm assuming it still affects your data?

yeah but aparently it hides the fact that youre tethering from your carrier mate.
im yet to be convinced with UK carriers though

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

in fairness mate, and in answer to your 1st sentence, its an s3 forum lol not ip5 :p

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah but aparently it hides the fact that youre tethering from your carrier mate.
im yet to be convinced with UK carriers though

Wow. Free, unlimited Wifi hot-spot'ing? Best app since Shazam.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Free, unlimited Wifi hot-spot'ing? Best app since Shazam.

ah Shazam is an app i always forget to mention when new android users ask for useful apps, its pretty cool man :)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
ah Shazam is an app i always forget to mention when new android users ask for useful apps, its pretty cool man :)

Foxfi sounds perfect cause next week i'm going to Niagara falls and i won't have access to Wifi with my laptop so now I can have as much as i want without raping my data plan. Haha Also when i first saw the commercial for Shazam and what it did, I came.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
... But after three month, I am close to deciding that I miss my iPhone too much... I want to make sure that I have given [the S III] a fair chance to win me over...

Sounds like your mind is already made up. No one's going to convince you that the iPhone or S III is better. If you haven't figured that out in 3 months time...

Sent from my EVO 4G using AC Forums! ^.^

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi sounds perfect cause next week i'm going to Niagara falls and i won't have access to Wifi with my laptop so now I can have as much as i want without raping my data plan. Haha Also when i first saw the commercial for Shazam and what it did, I came.

lmao literally? :p
do u get tv ads for apps in US?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

What is Shazam? I have actually never heard of it!

Oh and FoxFi is free wifi tethering, it just pulls the data off of the phone (using the phone's data plan) and i haven't heard of any instance where anyone has gotten caught using it. I don't know how it is to the other poster who is from the UK but the new add-on includes a proxy feature which turns the phone into a virtual proxy server which in theory should mask all unique identifiers of different devices but I'm pretty sure if the provider really wanted to find out they could.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
do US carrier locked androids have the native android wifi tethering setting removed?
im paranoid to use foxfi coz my carrier just throttles (slows down) my unlimited data if they detect tethering...

oh yeah, shazam just listens to like 10seconds of music and tells u what it is, gives links to buy it and saves it as a "tag" for future reference :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but to be frank you simply don't know what you're talking about. I guess you'd claim that 720p flat panel televisions aren't "True/Full HD" either, and you'd be wrong about that too. I'm a professional engineer, with a pretty good background and understanding of television technology, so your attempt to dismiss me as a "tech noob" is laughable at best. :-[ 720p is "True/Full HD" as are 1080i and 1080p. That's not spin (unlike your opinion) but simple fact, based on the published specifications for HD broadcast formats.

And I'm not trying to justify anything. I didn't weigh in on which phone is "better" and agree that for some the S3 is, and for others they'll like the iPhone 5 better. Just trying to correct your totally incorrect statements about HD formats, period.

He's not incorrect. True or Full HD refers only to 1080p. 720p is still HD, but it has not ever been identified as true/full HD.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They don't block it but if I try to activate the native hotspot it gives me a prompt with the number to Verizon's customer support hotline and asks me to call that number to add tethering to my plan.

If all they are going to do is throttle than it shouldn't be that bad, it would just slow down your connection until the next billing cycle which isn't that big of a deal and it is honestly really hard for them to detect the tethering unless you are pulling large files very rapidly (i.e. playing XBOX Live or downloading torrents) and even then they have to go through a process before they can even notify you.