4.1 on the s2 of all things

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL same here man. Waited device after device update after update on the rumors. Worse 3 years of my life. Owned 5 Pres haha

You must have been on Sprint for that one. The AT&T version of the Pre Plus was decent, didn't NEED new hardware, but the carrot about new versions of webOS kept me going until Open webOS was officially not going to work on ANY existing devices of any kind. I didn't want to wait to see IF(not when) someone might hack it onto some device out there, minus stuff like hardware acceleration that would make it just as slow as a 500MHz phone.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I wish they did it like on the Nexus' sort of. Why couldn't the radio support be modular so you'd have the full OS release and the carriers would only have to release an API or module for the comunications part.

You pretty much made the point. Different manufacturers use different equipment for EVERYTHING, from processor to GPU to radio to sound, and so on. The OS is modular, but the individual component makers MUST provide drivers, and if the drivers are not stable(mostly stable is not good enough), then the device maker can't release the new OS version. Remember, good enough for an enthusiast who is willing to hack a new OS version onto their own device does NOT mean that it is good enough for the phone/tablet manufacturer to release, because they MUST support the update. This is also why the carriers are at least somewhat justified in some delays for QA testing, just not to the extent they do it currently.

If Samsung had decent support, then the carriers could just tell users to call Samsung if they have problems.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
You pretty much made the point. Different manufacturers use different equipment for EVERYTHING, from processor to GPU to radio to sound, and so on. The OS is modular, but the individual component makers MUST provide drivers, and if the drivers are not stable(mostly stable is not good enough), then the device maker can't release the new OS version. Remember, good enough for an enthusiast who is willing to hack a new OS version onto their own device does NOT mean that it is good enough for the phone/tablet manufacturer to release, because they MUST support the update. This is also why the carriers are at least somewhat justified in some delays for QA testing, just not to the extent they do it currently.

If Samsung had decent support, then the carriers could just tell users to call Samsung if they have problems.

Couldn't Google essentially do what MS has done, and put some standards in place for their OS? It doesn't have to be as strict but enough to guarantee faster updates maybe.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't Google essentially do what MS has done, and put some standards in place for their OS? It doesn't have to be as strict but enough to guarantee faster updates maybe.

nah mate. they could make demands for a certain standard for their Play Store to be on and im sure they do to some extent but android is completely free and open source. look at the kindle fire..
..thats "android based" but so is every non-nexus device. the s3 is android based with TouchWiz skin over it. google only make money from it by people using the play store and by selling peoples search data like they always have

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

The issue is that with Windows, you can download updated drivers yourself, but even then, if you are a normal end user, the idea of driver updates is still very alien. Remember when Vista first came out, and you had NVIDIA drivers causing blue screens for many users? End users would get a BSoD and would just call their new computer defective, and nothing you could do would change their mind. That is the problem here, a DEVICE MAKER must release only stable devices, while individual component makers can be sloppy about it since the device maker either accepts what is provided, or doesn't. For an upgrade, it is the same thing, the device maker MUST make sure the entire device is stable, or else it would be better not to release the update at all. You pick and choose.

Now, what Microsoft HAS done is to use a standard driver model that is mostly the same between multiple OS versions, and that would allow for EASY driver upgrades until the next driver model is set to be released(Vista and Windows 7 shared the same driver model). Again though, we have an even bigger issue, the Linux kernel. With each update, you have to expect that a newer Linux kernel will be used(at the heart of Android). If there are no device drivers for that version of Linux, again, we are somewhat stuck. So, there is more complexity to the issue than meets the eye.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i dont know if google even COULD go back on their open source agreement for android if they wanted to..
remember the kindle fire runs on android and offers a competetors content.
its better how it is imo anyway, the competition gives us more choice and competetive pricing.
if we want instant updates then theres Nexus :)

also watch what happens with the sammy and HTC windows phones... i can see things slow down now that its not just nokia

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Sledge: Tell me about it! AT&T and Verizon are THE WORST when it comes to releasing updates that are available on other carriers. I just wish we had an Android Doctor that we could use to flash Android devices without the need to "prep" the phone first. Palm really did things the right way, except their hardware development.

And yes, I am another webOS refugee....ICS at least gives me enough of the features I loved about webOS to be somewhat comfortable with my S3.

Can't work that way. Each carrier has tweaks and customizations in many parts of the OS that differentiate the phones from one another. Samsung has to tailor the build for each phone and each carrier (especially since two of the five phones are GSM and three are CDMA). Samsung couldn't push out a single update to use on all five US variants due to these differences in the code base. If you install an update that's not specific to the OS and hardware, things break. I'd rather wait a few weeks/months and get an update that works (although I have to say I'm getting antsy to use Google Now).

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The sprint s3 is getting jb tomorrow before the black Friday sale there going for 50 bucks new and current customers

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2