My GS3 takes forever to charge via usb

Shadyx

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that my GS3's charging time through usb is too much.When I use the wall charger,it takes only a little above 2 hours for a full charge(from 0% to 100%) but when I use the usb port in my PC,it takes much longer than that.I even noticed that when I use the phone while it's charging using the usb port,it actually starts discharging.I don't remember having such problem with my GS2.Anyone got the same problem ? I'm running stock jelly bean,not rooted yet.

Edit:I'm charging it right now.Battery was at 15% then it became 16%,I checked again after a couple of mins and it's 15% again -.-'' keeping in mind that I'm not using the phone and wifi/hspa+/bluetooth all are turned off.

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere around here that when it's plugged into the 'wall charger' ? the phone draws approx. 1000 mA, or 1 amp (or technically speaking, maybe it's actually: 800mA / .8 amps?). But when it's plugged in via the USB data & charging cable ? to a computer or other USB source ? the phone only draws 500mA, or .5 amps. Thus the slower charging time. I guess that's due to the stock data/charging cable not having the two data pins 'shorted' in the USB plug end ? which is what signals the phones battery regulator to only draw 500mA (or something like that. I'm no techy ;) ).

You can order 'charging only' USB-to-microUSB cables. I just ordered one the other day here.

Last edited:

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a function of the USB power standard, limited to 5 Volts and 500 mA from a port in USB 2.0; 900 mA in USB 3.0. Your wall charger is always going to win.

Shadyx

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys,that makes a lot of sense.I still wonder why I didn't notice such thing on my GS2,maybe because the GS2 doesn't need to draw 1amp ?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
What i heard was if its not a Samsung USB it will be slower because of how thier cables are wired.

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so, it is a standard.

Now you can do things to enable "fast charge" in the kernel and maybe samsung has taken advantage of some of them

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Id have thought so too mate but i read a guide on soldering two pins together so the phone knows its a sammy lead...
Tbh ldk lol
(Ps, MHL used to be a standard lol grr samsung)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but then you couldn't plug it into the computer without the possibility of damage to it.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I duno man lol honestly.
Just something i read on here :)
Think it was micro usb side but suppose that cause same issues.
So is a Sammy usb~micro usb ANY different to universal?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not doubting you just trying to actually rationalize what you are saying. I know that MOTO has a chip in the charging cable so that you have to use theirs I just never hear of it with Sammy

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol mate id rather rationalise too :)
Id like to know that the thread i read is wrong lol :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Can u help with this wee off topic nugget.... do i REALLY need this
uploadfromtaptalk1354843694732.jpg
Bulge bit in our laptop power supply? Think someone said its just to comply with EM regulations but will the lappy function without that and about 6" cable mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa