Why can't they hear me?

nevteo

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

New to this forum. Hope someone can help me out. I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 unlocked running Android 4.3, and same problem with the mic. I can hear the other person during calls, but they can't hear me, unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole and speak into it (so I have to be holding the phone like I was about to eat it from the bottom). Even putting my mouth close to the home button doesn't work. I'm getting same issue with Voice recording (ie. no sound recorded unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole at the bottom), but the phone has no problems picking up audio when I record videos.

Things I've tried that don't work:
- Soft reset, and hard factory reset
- Turning off Motion completely (so proximity sensors everything are blanked out anyway or off)
- Noise reduction is off
- TTY is off
- Turn all sounds off (under Accessibility) is unselected
- Wifi calling is off
- Using speakerphone doesn't work (they can't hear me either)
- No pinky or anything blocking the mic
- I've tried cleaning out the mic hole with a needle but nothing comes out. Not sure if there's a specific way of doing it, but I gently put the needle in and jiggle it about, then withdraw it, but nothing comes out. For reference, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that's 2 years old with dust around its mic hole and I have no problems whatsoever with calls on that).

I can't downgrade to any other firmware cos mine is stuck on Android 4.3, and I'm just short of disassembling my phone and seeing if there really is anything physically blocking the mic hole that the needle maybe didn't clear. What I don't get is, if it were really a physical blockage of the mic hole, wouldn't that also affect the audio recording when I take a video? Audio is loud and clear when I record a video and narrate with the phone at half-arm's length from me...

Any help most appreciated!

Thanks!

Grey Grey

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same issue w/my SG4 w/T-Mobile. It started a couple months ago after answering an incoming call or after talking for a few minutes. My callers can hear me every time but I can't hear them. The call is not dropped either. I eventually hang up. I tried headphones, speakerphone, and even did a factory reset but the problem remains.

Maddie Angle

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a Samsung Cricket which has worked fine until a few days ago, now NO ONE can hear me, but I hear them fine. I never dropped it or got it wet, and I cleaned it out, still no success. Should I reset factory settings will that work? It's insane!! I cannot figure out what the heck happened, I don't download stuff, use only for texts and Facebook rarely. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Maddie

Josh Baker6

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
ive had the same proplem ive done a factory reset didnt fix anything replaced the aux port nothing but i have sound coming out of both sides of me headphones

shay29

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem.. all calls were fine except using handsfree mode with the speakerphone.. and the speaker mic was fine... there are 2 mics. tried full factory reset with no backup and still no joy. Saw one member suggested checking settings and unchecking the noise cancelling option... did it and it worked.. at last... thanks guys... really appreciate it. I was about to give up.

Ajay Gandhi

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
My wife had a similar problem with her Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 where when she was talking to me on her mobile I could not hear very clearly what she was saying but she could hear me.

After trying the numerous suggestions given her, I decided to check out the microphone because I could hear her voice but it was very quiet. I simply took a very thin paper clip and poked it in the very tiny mic hole.

Hey Presto! It worked. I can now hear her lovely voice each time, loud and clear!

:)

Archie Temp

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Have a new edge 6, had the same problem. Tried all on the forum except a factory reset, I have never had any luck with many android phones but have always found a solution...eventually. Turned off video calling and no more issues for me. I then realized the problem started about the same time I turned on video calling. Silly me, when you change a feature or add an app on your phone, always watch for quirks. Good luck.

Keng Vaj

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, so I have the same problem too, where I can hear the person on the other line and they can't hear me, unless I yell at my phone then they can slightly hear me. I've tried every method that everyone mentioned, but I couldn't get it too work. I then tired installing another phone app and that seems to work. I've installed Hangout from Google store and that seemed to fixed my problem. Try installing another phone app and see if that works for you.

TimTensegrity

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Looks like I got a weird issue and I am not yet interested to factory reset until i tried everything else ...
Here is my issue:

I got the Samsung Galaxy S3 since November and upgraded to JB 4.1.1 as soon as it was available in the beginning of December. For the past few days people are calling me and I can hear them perfectly fine but they can't hear me at all. I can talk to them just fine over my Jawbone synced via Bluetooth and it works over the speaker just fine. I called AT&T and they went straight to ... its a microphone issue. After I told them that i can use S voice just fine the next step was factory reset ... I tried to make a call with/without wifi, with/without bluetooth enabled and the only time they won't hear me is when i use the internal mic.
Calls are being established and crystal clear ... they just can't hear me ...

Anyone ... any idea?

As noted elsewhere here, I've summarily tracked it down to the Bluetooth proximity on/off function; however, I could find no direct access in my phone--instead, I tracked it to a default setting in new Bluetooth software I'd installed to control LED lights, called Delite (which I'd turned off because I didn't think it necessary: after re ' enabling it, the earpiece worked as usual). At any rate, multiple apps and ways exist to affect that functionality--so once you deduce which action changed it, restoring it to its prior setting proves easy.

nitnac23

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
So everyone posted that turning off "Ok Google" detection and "Google Now" cards solved this issue for them. But for me the solution was to turn off the stupid service of HD calling by ATT.

Go To
Settings > Mobile Data > Uncheck Enhnced LTE Service (HD voice calling)

Hope this helps

Stubbornlover

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
I have a nokia asha 306 incoming and outgoing calls i can hear the caller but the caller can't hear me the caller say hello,hello,hello everytime till the caller will end the call even if i put it on loud speaker it do the same it can't be my speaker because i can play music then i can hear my music clear and loud what is the problem please help me ASAP PLEASE