SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

Cerebrotoxin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of whether there's a technical problem with SD cards & S3s, I must admit that I, for one, am very impressed that Samsung's level 1 tech support chat monkeys are savvy enough to realize immediately that every single one of us who write anything about something on every single forum that Samsung doesn't control in the entire world are pathological liars. I mean it took me, like, 47 seconds reading the comments for YouTube videos to figure that out. And I was sober! So Kudos to Sherard for his/her omniscience. Although s/he was wrong about one important detail: I'm not a fake like all the rest of you posers. I'm a faux.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cyberlocc

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay so stumbled across this thread and though Id chime in. I really love how most of you say that the phone fried your card and don't mention the card in question and has been said many times i bet its sandisk and i bet its there class 10 card. There should in my mind a big red flag when you see a sandisk card a sdxc card 64gb for 34.99 on amazon where reliable brands are twice that price. I have Samsung pro series sds in my s3 and my wife's note and in are galaxy tab note all 64gb none have had any problems ever. Ya the cards are 70 a pop but they work and if you read them there designed specifically for galaxy's maybe that is the issue. One of the great things about Samsung is the don't outsource for instance there ram ssds etc every single piece in them is made and designed by them and that's semi true with there phones as well. Why am i mention this because maybe there is an issue with them frying cards and its probably due to the cheap sandisks your using that aren't up to par for the galaxy. I cannot find a voltage req for the san disks but the Samsung needs 2.7 ~ 3.6V to me seems like alot for a sd card in a phone. Seeing how much faster the Samsung is compared to the sandisk and the price diffidence maybe the cheap cards are being overvolted and fried. And to the people that said that class 10 cards are the issue I must disagree cheap cards are the issue galaxy s3 was designed for class 10 cards the Samsung ones in specific which are much faster than others. also as said dont format the cards.

Lesson of the day. buy Samsung cards there designed and pre formatted for galaxy devices and Samsung memory chips ram ssds are the very best period. Any1 who says different is naive or trying to sell you something. Buy a sammy pop it in and forget it problem solved. And while i know there more expensive at least they wont fail. And my opinion ay be a little biased to my pc exp as i own a pc shop and sammys drives/ram are king. I have over 12 diff ssds by Samsung and not one has ever given me trouble and 8 of those are in server in a raid array without trim enabled been there almost 3 years and there commercial grade just reg 830s.

Edit ha just found this and it quotes this thread SanDisk cops to malfunctioning Micro SDs in Galaxy S3s ? The Register ITS SANDISK NOT THE PHONE you can try to still argue its the phone but for a corprate giant to admit something like that there must be an issue as normally they will argue it to the end. But my suggestion still says buy sammy cards there made for the phone then if it messes up you can call Samsung and argue your case easily, as either way its there stuff messing up.

rhinor2

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Same problems with a scan disk 32g!
Card will not work on the phone but cane be read on a pc (except for encrypted files). This appears to be widespread!! What card should I try next????

plarkinjr

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just had my 32GB card suddenly go "missing" in my S3, so I popped it out, mounted it on PC and zipping it for safe-keeping. Went hunting on a possible issue/fix and ran across this forum, as well as the link below. I'm not sure what brand my card is, till my zip is complete, but I find it interesting that many posts out in the WWW say to use SanDisk, and then this:

Samsung Galaxy S3 fault is caused by SanDisk memory cards | CNET UK

speedspeed

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
yesterday my 2nd card fried
32gb unknown brand like the first one

now i am wondering did anyone who got their sandisk fried and exchanged it for the so calld new "fixed" cards, got their new cards already fried?
or are they all still working?

also wondering did anyone fried a samsung brand sdcard?

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
As of Sunday my wife's S3 no longer reads the SD card. The SD card was never used in any other device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Shawnme

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a "no name" 32Gb microSD card and the only issue I have is pictures will randomly be unable to be read on this phone. The pictures are corrupted it seems, so far music is okay. Is this a separate issue?

Peter Schuyten

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I had a 32 gig Sandisk and was working fine. I switched to amazon ordered 64 gig Sandisk to load a few more movies. This thing gets hot as hell and my car charger couldn't even keep up with it and it was losing a charge faster than it was charging.! I got an RMA and we will see what happens with a new card. Thank God I spent a few more dollars for a Sandisk with a warranty than an off brand.

BTW, I pulled the card out and plugged it back in to the charger and it fully charged quickly.

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi! First, sorry if I don't write the right way, i'm new to writing in forums.

But i've been having the same problems of card unnmounting, not being able to read, and etc, in my Galaxy s3
I've read several responses, in several forums, I did 3 things and now i'm not getting any of that anymore:
- I glued some small stickers to the card, so it wouldn't move while on the phone.
- Formated it inside the Phone
-and, what i really think was the problem, deactivated the auto-upload of pictures from camera to dropbox.
I'm not shure why it worked, but it did! I'm getting no more problems.

Hope I helped!

L.R.S.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm to lazy to read all 7 pages so has anyone found a solution to the SD card problem?

I bought my S3 and a 32gb Scan Disk card from the Verizon store last August. A month ago it started acting up, not transferring pics when I would connect to my laptop, and saying there was no SD card in the phone. Finally my phone quit recognizing the card all together. I assumed it was a phone issue. I went back to the store and they reset it for me. Problem was solved for about an hour. I called Verizon and they sent me a new phone. Loaded the SD cad and the new phone won't recognize it either. Did my old phone fry my SD card? I put my SD card in my wife's phone and hers in mine. Her card works fine in my new S3 but her RZR won't recognize my SD card, neither will my laptop.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm to lazy to read all 7 pages so has anyone found a solution to the SD card problem?

I bought my S3 and a 32gb Scan Disk card from the Verizon store last August. A month ago it started acting up, not transferring pics when I would connect to my laptop, and saying there was no SD card in the phone. Finally my phone quit recognizing the card all together. I assumed it was a phone issue. I went back to the store and they reset it for me. Problem was solved for about an hour. I called Verizon and they sent me a new phone. Loaded the SD cad and the new phone won't recognize it either. Did my old phone fry my SD card? I put my SD card in my wife's phone and hers in mine. Her card works fine in my new S3 but her RZR won't recognize my SD card, neither will my laptop.

The super long post says it's Sandisk cards being cheap and terrible.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well folks, its official......my SanDisk 64gb just conked out on me. Was cleaning my apartment and accidentally flung my phone to the ground while I had it connected to my HT system. Music stopped and when I picked up my phone, I had the dreaded SD card has unmounted. DAMN IT!!!! I checked with my file explorer and there was no sign of the sd card so I shut down my phone to take out the card and check it on my pc with the adapter. I was hoping I'd at least be able to see and perhaps recover some files. No sign, no pulse on this card. Its.....gone......*sniff sniff*.....! So, now I have to start building up that vast collection of music I had going in that card......uuuurrghhhhh!!!! I have my old 16 gb sd card on my old Epic that I can use for now but damn, I'm so pissed right now!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm back up!!!! DLing all my files quickly while I can....time is precious right now!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys think I should reformat the card??

Jimmy Saunders

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Could someone tell me the exact steps to perform to have pics taken from s3 uploaded to drop zone instead of SD card? Or even directly onto internal phone 16gb storage? I have a 2gb SD card that I used in a S2 and a blackberry and never had issues. I bought the s3 2 days ago and just noticed that some of my pics taken by phone r partially grayed out and this was not the case yesterday. Happened today when I turned phone on from being shut off over night. What is causing this to happen to the pics?

Thanks,
Jimmy

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you can reformat it do it. Mines too late my pny sdhc 32 gb level 10 officialy died. Mine died when the camera couldn't find it I think I rebooted to give it time to find the card and now its not visible. No error other than the camera saying it couldn't find external source. Luckily in my case I had dropbox setup and I just gotta get a replacement memory card.

If there was a solution in 5 pages here pm me since all was sd card deaths pages 1-3

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If there was a solution in 5 pages here pm me since all was sd card deaths pages 1-3

Solution to what? Trashing SD cards? -- NO -- there is none, that is, if you want to keep using an SD card.

Some have claimed these are all SanDisk fault -- but two of the three SD cards my S3's fried were NOT SanDisk.

Some claim that it's only class 10 cards -- but the latest was not a class 10 card.

Only "solution" is to NOT use an SD card, or if you must, then frequently copy the stuff you can't afford to lose somewhere else -- where you can retrieve it when you SD card dies.

Phillip Hankland

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem, my ext sd card sometimes reads from my camera and then all of a sudden when I try to take a pic I get a message saying cannot record to phone memory? Or to sd card?
Then if I go to settings and go to storage and un mount sd card, and then remount the card then go back to camera and settings and designate that I want my pics to go to ext sd card an icon appears on camera function showing that the camera will record to sd card, that works for awhile then all of a sudden it reverts back to phone memory? I called Samsung and their solution is to send phone back and two weeks later they will replace it but then you are without your phone and I believe the problem is either a software issue, or an issue with the card reader itself? This has happened to me now on three Samsung galaxie s3 phones in the last 6 months, a real pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87