Safe to root?

htrannn

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks its safe to root without researching too much. I don't plan on rooting then flashing ROMS and messing with settings right away. Just a learn as I go experience but I want the rooting part over and done with. I've jailbroken iPods before and I've got some basic knowledge of what I'm doing and I found a good tutorial on youtube as well.

How to root Galaxy S3 I747M AT&T and Canadian Carriers - YouTube

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If you're careful, make sure you follow instructions for your EXACT model of phone and carrier, and follow those instructions precisely, then yes.

But understand that even though they all say Galaxy S3, each carrier's version is different, and trying to use the process for rooting one version on another can ruin your phone. So can not following instructions precisely.

If the video you linked to is, for example, for an AT&T GS3, and you use them on a Sprint GS3, the best you can hope for is that it doesn't ruin your phone.

Other than "wanting to get it over with" why do you want to root.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.

htrannn

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just like the idea of having more control over my phone and I'll be looking into flashing ROMS and improving functionality after rooting. Also how could it ruin my phone? I looked around in some other threads and I saw a Sprint root used on a T-Mobile phone, and I haven't seen too much specification on carriers on other websites.

This is my model of phone btw, SGH-1747M. Only difference would be the carrier but even then it says its for AT&T + Canadian carriers. What I wanna know is is there different types of root? Are some better than others like with jailbreak software? Or in the end does it not matter and they all do the same thing?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I can't address specifics of rooting an AT&T or Canadian S3, since I have Sprint's version. But in general, all the rooting procedures get you to the same end-result. Some are easier to follow than others, some probably have more room for error (screwing things up) than others. Some will root and leave all your data intact, others will perform a full reset and wipe all your data.

In general, the SG3 is a pretty easy phone to root.

flexxxycj

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well Im a newish user to rooting and roms...
(unified toolkit below did not work for mine and it installed the wrong drivers!)
This video and write u[p Ive attached is the ONLY root that worked for my canadian sgh-1747m.
The video is very good but isnt clear on a couple steps such as plugging in your s3 to the computer when he says "just put it down or aside for now"unchecking "auto reboot in odin, so here is the step by step write up to go with it.... (the only thing that the write up doesnt tell you is that you want to have samsung kies installed on your phone before starting this (dont run it just have it installed) have the proper drivers installed on your computer for the phone and have winzip or winrar installed on your computer.)
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S3 Easy For AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile Rogers Carriers | AndroidRoots

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Well Im a newish user to rooting and roms...
(unified toolkit below did not work for mine and it installed the wrong drivers!)

Was your phone listed in the Supported Models of the Toolkit? One thing to always keep in mind with rooting, ROMs, Kernels, etc. ... NEVER use anything that isn't specifically for your exact model. You might get away with something, then again, you might end up with an expensive paperweight.

SUPPORTED MODELS

INTERNATIONAL [GT-I9300]

AUSTRALIAN MODEL GSM [GT-I9300T]

INTERNATIONAL [GT-I9305/GT-I9305N]

AUSTRALIAN MODEL LTE [GT-I9305T]

C SPIRE MODEL LTE [SCH-L710]

AT&T US [SGH-I747]

BELL, ROGERS, SASKTEL, TELUS [SGH-I747M] [SGH-I747M]

US CELLULAR MODEL LTE [SCH-R530]

METRO PCS MODEL LTE [SCH-R530M]

SPRINT US [SPH-L710]

TMOBILE US [SGH-T999]

MOBILICITY, VIDEOTRON, WIND [SGH-T999V]

VERIZON US [SCH-I535]

flexxxycj

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello trucky. I contacted mskip personally and we did not come to a resolution that would work so i rooted back to stock from "samsung-updates" and used the above to work with my model.

My model is sgh-1747m / Canadian model with bell.
The build# may mave been the difference....
My build is JR000L and I wrote MSkip personally a couple times.
He had mentioned it would work under his JR000C Build.
It did not, and the drivers that installed with the tool kit were not the proper drivers for this model.
The driver kit did something odd and changed the serial number to a completely unrelated number that was read in the program.
It caused the root to fail each time after everything passed in odin.
Superuser and busybox also failed to auto- install when root wasn?t found ( but modified did appear under ?about phone?)
In addition, it blocked the ability to connect through wifi after this procedure was done... but all other features of the phone still worked...
In the end either the build JR000L is the red headed step child of the 1747m or the drivers in the toolkit are not right...

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd say your first assumption is correct. The drivers seem to work fine for most everyone else. I wonder where the difference lies in your particular build. Don't you hate when the manufacturer throws a wrench in a model line like that?