samsung galaxy 3s

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are only a couple of possible causes and fixes here, I think. It's possible the ribbon connector was knocked loose when it was dropped, and just re-seating that connector could let you use the phone. But it's also possible the digitizer is damaged and will never work. I'm not aware of any way to determine this without disassembling the phone. How good are you with tiny tools? Look at this video to see what involved in taking the phone apart (and replacing the screen, if you want to try that).

This is why you never want to break your smartphone screen | Android Central

The good news is that if you replace, or have a repair service replace, the screen assembly, your phone should be as good as new, and all your data still in place.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Someone in another thread once mentioned a way that you could login to the Samsung website and unlock your phone remotely. I don't remember the exact URL but if I find it I'll post it here.
You could also try a USB-ON-THE-GO cable and a mouse/keyboard and that might allow you to navigate.
You could also try the Kies software on your PC and see if it'll allow you to make a backup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Paul Hu1

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung 3s and I dropped it in water (not covered by warranty).
The problem is that the screen it not 100% brightness. The annoying thing is it kinda works sometimes when I turn it on, other times the screen is only 1% visibility so I can't see anything clearly.
I have tried to factory reset, I have tired to remove the internal ribbon connected for the screen and clean with vinegar (1 part water, 1 part vinegar) and scrub with toothbrush. Neither had any effect.
I cannot find a consistent pattern that makes it work, and praying does not count LOL
Please advise, I have a Samsung 3s GT-I9305

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How long ago did you get it wet?
You should open it up and put it in a bag of rice for several days before powering it on again.
If it turns out that only the screen is damaged (questionable at this point) you could get a replacement at someplace like http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Paul Hu1

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Was not in water long. The crazy thing is it sometimes works, and that is why I thought the ribbon connected was oxidized so that is why I cleaned with vinegar/water. I have tried to bend to see if there is anything physical that could be done to help it but no luck.
I don't understand what the screen brightness is only 1% (this is a guess, it is just really dark).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
To reiterate, if it was just recently wet you should immediately turn it off, remove the battery and put it all in a sealed container of uncooked rice for at least 48 hours.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Paul Hu1

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
thanks but this happened over a week ago. I previously had the phone in a sealed box of rice for 3-4 days. I am hoping to see if anyone knows something more technical. Other than the ribbon connector, where else is the screen connecting to the phone? why could it work sometimes and not others. I will try and put in box of rice again but doubt this will have any effect.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It would have been nice if you said upfront "this happened a week ago; and I already had it in rice for several days". With that new information I agree that it would be pointless to put it in rice again.

What 'more technical' information do you want? You could check out the Ifixit Teardown videos, but basically there's just the ribbon cable. Without replacing the screen assembly there's no way to tell if the mainboard is also damaged (or vice-versa).

Water and electronics don't mix.

Paul Hu1

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for not being as clear as I should have. Does the other side of the ribbon connector connect to anything? Is it another ribbon connector or does it go straight to screen/circuit board?