Help! My Galaxy S3 Won't Charge after trying to Flash custom kernel!

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to flash a custom kernel (Siyah), but it didn't work when I tried to use Clockworkmod to flash the kernel, so I tried using Odin and it seemed to work until it didn't boot up like normal. I tried the wipe cache option in recovery but didnt work, and i tried wipe data parition, and i think i deleted Clockworkmod in the process. And I also think it doesn't charge because i cant even go to recovery mode. Any type of help is helpful! Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to flash a custom kernel (Siyah), but it didn't work when I tried to use Clockworkmod to flash the kernel, so I tried using Odin and it seemed to work until it didn't boot up like normal. I tried the wipe cache option in recovery but didnt work, and i tried wipe data parition, and i think i deleted Clockworkmod in the process. And I also think it doesn't charge because i cant even go to recovery mode. Any type of help is helpful! Thanks.
Welcome to the forums!
You can't get into recovery at all?
Can you get into download mode?

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, it said Siyah-s3-v1.9.1-CWM.zip as the file name and i had android 4.1.2 which said it was tested on. And with the possibility of it being bricked is there a fix for it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it said Siyah-s3-v1.9.1-CWM.zip as the file name and i had android 4.1.2 which said it was tested on. And with the possibility of it being bricked is there a fix for it?

You can send off for a JTAG device. Those help with restoring phones, but no guarantees.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had seen some guy that advertised JTAG services for around $45. From the little I know about it, it's not as simple as just plugging in a JIG and magically reviving the OS - you really need to know what you're doing, from both a hardware and software perspective.

Here's a brief blurb about it http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/37019/what-is-jtag-in-regards-to-android

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can't purchase a JTAG device. These repair services involve very delicate connections to the chips directly on the circuit board. What you CAN buy is something called a JIG. A jig may allow you to load the stock ROM via the USB port, bypassing recovery or download mode. Since your phone still powers up, there's a chance a jig will work.

Once you get your phone working again, you need to understand something very important. Not all S3s are the same. International versions (the i9300 series) have completely different hardware than North American versions. Trying to flash a ROM or Kernel designed for a NA version to an international phone, or vice versa, is pretty much guaranteed to brick your phone. And trying to use a ROM or Kernel for a different carrier version (e.g., an AT&T ROM or Kernel on a Verizon phone) will cause serious problem as well.

YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE WHAT YOU WANT TO FLASH IS FOR YOUR EXACT MODEL AND CARRIER! Just because it's for Android 4.1.2 doesn't mean it will work.