Opinion about touchwiz!

How do you feel about touchwiz?

• Total voters

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

I've had my s3 for a year and a half now. It is my first time experiencing touchwiz and I can tell you it will be my last time unless Samsung makes significant improvements. I'm most probably going to be buying the Nexus 5 when it is released. I find that touchwiz makes android very laggy and it's very bloated. On top of that I can't stand the icons an the samsung windows I find them very very ugly. I find the clean google UI much nicer and much smoother. Actually touchwiz has failed several times on my phone. I'm curious to know what you guys think about touchwiz?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

I've had my s3 for a year and a half now. It is my first time experiencing touchwiz and I can tell you it will be my last time unless Samsung makes significant improvements. I'm most probably going to be buying the Nexus 5 when it is released. I find that touchwiz makes android very laggy and it's very bloated. On top of that I can't stand the icons an the samsung windows I find them very very ugly. I find the clean google UI much nicer and much smoother. Actually touchwiz has failed several times on my phone. I'm curious to know what you guys think about touchwiz?

It's way too bloated for sure. As far as lag is concerned I think it will be a thing of the past with the newer flagships. It lags significantly less on the S4 than on the S3 and basically non-existent on the Note 3 thanks to the Snapdragon 800. I presume the S5 will be the same if not better. If you want the clean UI you can get a launcher which will change the app drawer and home screens. Or you can go further than that and root and flash a custom ROM. Or get the Google play edition, you get insane specs with the stock OS.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The font of Touchwiz is the ugliest font ever.. Dont understand how people put up with that.

I love my Moto X for 1 reason. No UI bloatware and minimal App bloatware.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The font of Touchwiz is the ugliest font ever.. Dont understand how people put up with that.

I love my Moto X for 1 reason. No UI bloatware and minimal App bloatware.

I'm such a big fan of the MotoX. One problem is the price. Instead of getting the moto x I might as well get the nexus 5, no? What do you think?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

The Galaxy S3 is my first smartphone and I honestly could never understand why people complained so much about Touchwiz. I preferred the arguments that this is what Samsung and other manufacturers should be doing, modifying the Android OS. After all it is a base that can be utilized by anyone.
But after getting a new phone w/ stock-like Android, (1) it is very pleasing to the eyes. I wasn't crazy about how Touchwiz looked, but after seeing Jellybean on the Moto X, I really loved it. Everything goes together. Almost makes me want to use everything stock. Almost. (2) I agree it's laggy and bloated. Aren't there like 3 texting apps?! (3) I don't think I will ever buy another phone unless it has vanilla Android or at least something very close to it.(4) It has too many features w/ out any real optimization. If anyone complained about battery life or lag the response was always ?Turn off x and x and x and x. That shouldn't always be on anyways, duh? And if you do, the phone runs slightly better. But really it shouldn't have to be that way at all.

If manufacturers are going to skin Android, fine by me. But they'd better make sure it works well before releasing it. The only people I'd assume think it does run well are those that don't use it for much.

I think my total experience w/ the GS3 and Touchwiz kind of ruined my image of Samsung. I've loved their phones ever since the dumb phone days. They always worked well and had enough features to satisfy me. With the GS3, I was willing to tolerate its flaws because it supposedly was one of the best phones running Android, my favorite phone manufacturer and it was not an iPhone. But in retrospect, that phone and its OS is a mess. Touchwiz was designed to give users more options, while completely ignoring the user experience.

I think it's gonna be Motorola or Nexus from here on out.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm such a big fan of the MotoX. One problem is the price. Instead of getting the moto x I might as well get the nexus 5, no? What do you think?

One can only really know the answer to that once the N5 is actually released. I bought my Moto X outright and don't regret it at all.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Something I forgot to mention is how the text messaging lags so much.

I agree with this although I thought perhaps it was Go SMS. I've been using the stock app for now but will be back to using that shortly. So far though I have had no issues though. They send instantly.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this although I thought perhaps it was Go SMS. I've been using the stock app for now but will be back to using that shortly. So far though I have had no issues though. They send instantly.

Mine send instantly but when I want to send another one it's very laggy, my friends with the S3 also seem to have the same issue. How much did the moto x contract free cost you btw?

AgentScribe

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The N3 is my first Samsung device so TouchWiz is new to me. I don't know if it's just me or what but I hardly notice the 4.3 OS (or whatever iteration we have on the N3).

TouchWiz really isn't too bad, it seems. I don't find myself wanting to strip it down to a pure Android experience. For what it's worth, I came from the Motorola AtrixHD and was on two of its predecessors before HD.

Anybody else, especially those new to Samsung, noticing this also?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No issues with TW. I honestly wonder what the people with issues have installed on their phones.

S4 has too much heavy stuff baked into it. The internal storage is laughably low 7.x GB I seen.

Notes are too big, but I love the S Pen :)

Anyways, never had an issue on this S3 with lag.

I think stock Android is ugly as sin, so I could never use that.

Google still has their own 3 texting apps. Messaging, voice and hangouts.

Samsung just has ChatOn. The rest is only skinned by them (only messaging) and modified for features (group MMS and threading, for example). They didn't create them. Blame Google for that.

A new nexus cones with two installed by default.

Android the only OS that basically requires two email clients as well. They should add Gmail to email and make that a bit better bthe stock gmail client is missing too many features to be usable. Its worse than Mail on the iPhone, now..

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine send instantly but when I want to send another one it's very laggy, my friends with the S3 also seem to have the same issue. How much did the moto x contract free cost you btw?

It cost 629 for the 32GB. It was hard to part with that especially when I wanted a screen protector and case. But for me the price was worth it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No issues with TW. I honestly wonder what the people with issues have installed on their phones.

S4 has too much heavy stuff baked into it. The internal storage is laughably low 7.x GB I seen.

Notes are too big, but I love the S Pen :)

Anyways, never had an issue on this S3 with lag.

I think stock Android is ugly as sin, so I could never use that.

Google still has their own 3 texting apps. Messaging, voice and hangouts.

Samsung just has ChatOn. The rest is only skinned by them (only messaging) and modified for features (group MMS and threading, for example). They didn't create them. Blame Google for that.

A new nexus cones with two installed by default.

Android the only OS that basically requires two email clients as well. They should add Gmail to email and make that a bit better bthe stock gmail client is missing too many features to be usable. Its worse than Mail on the iPhone, now..

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

S4 has 9.6 GB out of the box. I've used a few S3's and the lag is pretty noticeable, you might be one of the lucky people who doesn't get it for whatever reason, it's minimal on my S4.

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Probably it is because I tend to disabled all built-in apps that I don't use and I don't install a ton of apps, only the ones I use heavily. My mom has an S3 as well as my niece and I haven't noticed their phones lagging.

The S4's I've seen had a lot less space free out of the box, are you referring to a carrier version or the international one?

I see from early reviews they said the 16GB one had 8.8 and with the de bloat update they put out maybe 9.6 is right :) There was probably some other stuff installed on the one I seen. That is still quite a bit of space chopped off, seeing as how the S3 had well over 11GB free.

I head Samsung's 4.3 updates have some nice performance boosts in it. Will have to see if that's true when it launches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non