Need help locating GTalk apk

JonnieGalt

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded to 4.3 and lost my GTalk app which I use daily for work. Hangouts is garbage imo and I really need GTalk back. Has anyone located a trusted APK file that restores GTalk? I've looked around and found a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Need some help, thanks in advance.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to 4.3 and lost my GTalk app which I use daily for work. Hangouts is garbage imo and I really need GTalk back. Has anyone located a trusted APK file that restores GTalk? I've looked around and found a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Need some help, thanks in advance.

I think Google Talk is dead. They replaced it with Hangouts. Even if you can find an apk, it probably won't work.

JonnieGalt

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh my, this is sad news. Okay, if anyone out there in Androidland knows of a workaround, please let me know and I appreciate the time and effort.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yea, replacing GTalk with Hangouts may be the thing that drives me away from Android.

I don't think anyone at Google uses Talk for work, because if they did, they'd know how utterly tragic Hangouts is by comparison. It is not a business-friendly messaging service, at all.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
if anyone out there in Androidland knows of a workaround
I'd suggest going back to 4.1.2, but from what I've heard the addition of Knox to 4.3 is going to make that difficult.

I'm sure you could get the GTalk apk from someone with a rooted phone but as previous posters have noted, the likelihood that it would work on 4.3 is slim (not even sure they have root for 4.3 yet).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

JonnieGalt

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
GSDer, briefly--what would that involve, going back to 4.1.2? 4.3 is buggy and unimpressive so far and would have definitely not updated had i known in advance. Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You'd have to use a program called Odin on your Windows-based PC, and you'd have to find the model/carrier/region specific version of firmware for your phone. It's not that difficult, but as I noted - there's been some mention that Knox (a component of 4.3) messes with the bootloader, making it difficult to revert.

All I know is what I've read - you may find better information on XDA or in the rooting sub-forum for your phone. Good luck.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4