Micro SD: Class 6 or 10

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmm wouldn't it also make a difference if you use a usb port like 2.0 or 3.0 when connected to a pc.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Newbie question here... what is the difference between the sd class 6 and 10. Never heard about them, just thought that the only difference was the storage capacity.

A higher class means that it can write to the card faster. It also generally means that reads from the card are slower.

It's subtle, but if all you are dealing with is large, linear files (like songs and movies), then a higher class is better. If you are using your card for anything complex then a class 4 or class 6 will probably work better for you.

For what Android uses the SD card, you probably shouldn't worry about. Get a class 6 or above.

Nabil_Silva

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
i want to get SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC but ive read complains of gs3 n note2 users saying that this card wasnt compatible with those phones.
So will it work on d gs4? on those devices the card got corrupted after a month or it keeps unmounting itself.

icellphones32

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Should be fine. I got the 32g ultra sandisk one for the GS4 and until it comes out I have it in my android tablet works perfect. And I put 6 bluray movies on it with no problems.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks fot that detailed explanation. Would keep it in consideration if my sd card dies but for music and photos maybe one or two movies Ill stick with the sd card that came with my epic. Sprints already charging too much to spend extra on a sd card.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
A higher class means that it can write to the card faster. It also generally means that reads from the card are slower.

False about the read speed
SD cards are generally described by their Speed Class, ranging from Class 2 (slowest) to Class 10 (fastest).
While the SD Association (the group that defines SD card technology) doesn't release exact speed standards for card classes to non-members, it does offer loose guidelines for which classes are acceptable various uses. Class 2 is suitable for standard-definition video recording, while Class 4 and Class 6 can record high-definition video. Class 10 is the card for HD video and "HD still consecutive recording," which, like the classes' speeds, is ill-defined. The various card classes seem to have different speed ranges according to different memory manufacturers. According to Sandisk, for example, Class 4 cards offer read and write speeds of 15 megabytes per second (MBps), Class 6 cards can handle 20MBps, and Class 10 cards reach 30MBps. Kingston, on the other hand, describes its Class 4 cards as delivering a 4MBps data transfer rate, Class 6 as having 15MBps write speed, and Class 10 offering a 40MBps data transfer rate.

sjsmith1708

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I got class 10 and having problems so im getting a samsung class 6 as I believe there are no issues with that one

Posted via Android Central App

worktorest

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
i want to get SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC but ive read complains of gs3 n note2 users saying that this card wasnt compatible with those phones.
So will it work on d gs4? on those devices the card got corrupted after a month or it keeps unmounting itself.

If you face any problems with compatibility just format the card on your phone and it will do. I'm on a sandisk ultra 64gb and that's what I did. It has been working well for me for 9 months now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty