Transfer MP3 file on a mobile to another folder?

SteveHigh

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello

I have transferred a MP3 file from my PC to my phone in the hope that I can use it as a ringtone. The MP3 file has gone into My files/Bluetooth. How do I transfer the file, please to Settings/Sound/Phone ringtone?

My phone is a GT-S5570.

Thank you.

Steve

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have KitKat, you can only do this either by USB cable with a PC, or with the stock File Manager app. If you have any OS prior to KitKat, you can do this with any 3rd party File Manager in addition to the other two options.

In the stock File Manager, just locate the file you just uploaded, long press it and select COPY or MOVE, and then just paste it wherever you want it now. But if I'm not mistaken, you can set ringtones from any folder in your phone...

SteveHigh

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't got KitKat, so would I simply download a third-party File Manager (I have Task Manager, but not File Manager).

I have tried your second suggestion and an option came up for me to move the file, but I couldn't move it to the Settings/Sound/Phone ringtone folder.

Thanks again!

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
...move it to the Settings/Sound/Phone ringtone folder...

Are you sure such a folder exists? How? Is your phone root'd? Wait, never mind, if your goal is to set the recently transfer'd MP3 as ringtone, then all you need to do is:

1. Open the 'Music' app
2. Select the MP3 (use search, artists, whatever)
3. Long press on song to get menu
4. Select "Set as"

If your music player can't find the desired MP3, then long press power button and select Restart.

You may need to refresh your device's media meta data:
Settings > More > App manager > All > Media Storage > Clear data
When data zero's out, back out to homescreen, and Restart.

SteveHigh

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello Wm7Long

Thanks for your message.

This phone must be set up differently. I am on the homescreen, press on My files (small yellow folder), and then press on another yellow folder called Bluetooth. Inside that, I can see the MP3 file, so I press on that and I get another screen that gives me the following list:

Delete
Move
Copy
Rename
Details

When I hold down Move I get:

+Create folder
Android
Bluetooth
DCIM
Download
LOST.DIR
samsungapps
ScreenCapture
Sounds
WhatsApp

If I press on Sounds it takes me to a blank screen with +Create folder at the top.

Thanks again!

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey Steve,

When I use MyFiles, I get the same options as you. But when I use Music, I get the "Set as" option. And one of the things in the Set as menu is to make the MP3 a ringtone. Have you tried locating that particular MP3 from within Music?

To get into Music, open your app drawer (press icon with rows & columns of dots at bottom of homescreen).

Last edited:

SteveHigh

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello wm7
I can't see that app drawer, but I have got a Galaxy apps icon on the homescreen.
However, I do have a Music icon and when I click on it, I can see 'unknown artist' 1 song. That is my MP3 file (I don't have any others), but unlike in your case, there is nothing that says 'Set as'.

Maybe I should take it into a Samsung shop?

Thanks again.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
...there is nothing that says 'Set as'...

Okay, so you have accomplish'd steps 1 & 2. Before you can get to step 4, you need to do step 3. Did you long press (press and hold) on the MP3? Did a menu come up at all? If so, what options did the menu show?

1. Open the 'Music' app
2. Select the MP3 (use search, artists, whatever)
3. Long press on song to get menu
4. Select "Set as"
My S4 Mini is model GT-I9190, set up for Central America with Spanish as default language. I changed language to Engilsh, giving me an English translation of the native Spanish. So your device may use different wording, but most likely works the same.

Last edited:

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
When I pressed on it for a while this menu came up:

Unknown artist (my MP3 file)
Play
Add to playlist
Delete

There is no 'Set as'.

Hmm, okay then, let's try it the way an S4 Mini manual says to do it. BTW this does not work in my device, also this is from a Chinese manual translated to English. But since what works for me fails for you, maybe what fails for me works for you?

Manual.png

If this also fails, then you should try a Restart. If that fails, then you should try a media refresh.

SteveHigh

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello wm7

That works! I messed about with it for a minute or so looking for that symbol I can see on your phone instructions - it wasn't exactly the same but more or less. A menu item came up: use as ringtone!

I asked someone to ring me and it works!

Thank you very much for all your help and patience!

Steve