OTA Updates

RF_Benitez

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.
I have an AT&T GS4 that I purchased unlocked, and am currently using on another network.
When I attempt to check for OTA updates from AT&T, I am invariably denied, which I expected as I am not an AT&T subscriber, as noted above.
My question is, how do I update Android software if I'm off the AT&T grid? Do I need to root to do this?
I've read that AT&T phones are a PITA when it comes to rooting, is this the case?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The only way I can think of updating an unlocked phone running on another carrier is to root. I've rooted AT&T phones and it wasn't bad. I think it depends on the phone really.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.
I have an AT&T GS4 that I purchased unlocked, and am currently using on another network.
When I attempt to check for OTA updates from AT&T, I am invariably denied, which I expected as I am not an AT&T subscriber, as noted above.
My question is, how do I update Android software if I'm off the AT&T grid? Do I need to root to do this?
I've read that AT&T phones are a PITA when it comes to rooting, is this the case?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

No Verizon phones are a PITA to root LOL. GSM are usually support much better because of the international devs. Rooting is pretty simple given you are on a baseband that's been exploited. If you are in the states and have a friend who is on AT&T, borrow their sim card to download and install the update. If not, then yes I believe you'll have to flash the new ROM. You'll just need to root. Go to this forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android Development - xda-developers and look for threads that begin with "Root" or "Tool" and check to see if it supports your baseband and then find the latest ROM. I believe the latest is here [ROM][7/15] - AT&T Stock Rooted De-Odex "MF3" - Latest OTA! - No F/W Update Required! - xda-developers

Out of curiousity, what are the last 5 characters of your baseband and build number?

I don't think Dev's make one available for every small update but any one that significantly address stability issues would have a ROM made.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana