Gorilla Glass 3 - Do we still need screen protecters?

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am so careful with smartphones my family laugh at me. That being said something happened yesterday that I could not believe I let happen. I had loose gym shorts on with deep pockets,, my note 2 was in pocket. While I was dribbling a basketball the ball hit my pocket in a way that made the phone come up and out,, total fluke. Phone landed on concrete right on screen.. So glad I had a temperd glass screen protector on. All that happened was a very tiny thin scratch on the protector,, barely can see it,, very small.

IT'S TRUE,, SIZE IS EVERYTHING!

Right. But if it didn't have the protector who know what sort of scratch you would have on it now. Even a small scratch would bother you. Once you see it you will always see it.

Every single smartphone will scratch. There is no stopping it.

Don't put a screen protector but prepare to replace the screen or live with a nasty scratch.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely no need for screen protector

Posted via Android Central App

Nonsense. They all scratch. I was using both a G Pro and a GS4 yesterday. Both scratched. The G Pro had a nasty scratch across from right middle to the top. The S4 had 2 scratches. Before that, and the worst I saw, was the GS3 with a HUGE scratch from left to right going down. You could put your fingernail right through it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought I could go without a screen protector on my Note 2. Then one day I noticed hairline scratches. The honeymoon was instantly over and I started to think about seperation...divorce. I just couldn't do it. My Note 2 and I ended up getting a divorce. I couldn't look at at the hairline scratches. My Note 2 walked away with nothing. I with $290. My S4 blissfully wears an Otterbox Defender. My Note 8.0 wears a Zagg HD and Sammy Book case but an Otterbox Defender for it is in the mail. No more hairline scratches or any other slightest of damage whatsoever can be tolerated. The S4 and Note 8.0 have been warned. Its in the prenup. ...and we shall remain happy. :)

Sent from my humble S4

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought I could go without a screen protector on my Note 2. Then one day I noticed hairline scratches. The honeymoon was instantly over and I started to think about seperation...divorce. I just couldn't do it. My Note 2 and I ended up getting a divorce. I couldn't look at at the hairline scratches. My Note 2 walked away with nothing. I with $290. My S4 blissfully wears an Otterbox Defender. My Note 8.0 wears a Zagg HD and Sammy Book case but an Otterbox Defender for it is in the mail. No more hairline scratches or any other slightest of damage whatsoever can be tolerated. The S4 and Note 8.0 have been warned. Its in the prenup. ...and we shall remain happy. :)

Sent from my humble S4

Right.

They all scratch eventually if you don't put a screen protector.

You can't really tell its there, so I don't know why people just don't put one on.

I think every smartphone should come with a screen protector in the box free.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Right.

They all scratch eventually if you don't put a screen protector.

You can't really tell its there, so I don't know why people just don't put one on.

I think every smartphone should come with a screen protector in the box free.

...and cost the OEMs/carriers more money while taking away business from accessory providers? Never gonna happen.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
...and cost the OEMs/carriers more money while taking away business from accessory providers? Never gonna happen.

Screen protectors get scratched, bubble and have to be changed eventually. They'll hardly go out of business.

Screen protectors are super cheap. They could buy them in bulk for nothing. Eventually you will change it out anyway.

Xperia Z phones come with a screen protector out of the box.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors get scratched, bubble and have to be changed eventually. They'll hardly go out of business.

Screen protectors are super cheap. They could buy them in bulk for nothing. Eventually you will change it out anyway.

Xperia Z phones come with a screen protector out of the box.

They have no motivation to provide them and incur ANY cost. Those that want that protection will buy it. Those that don't care (as shown by the posts above) will not. 5 cents x 3,000,000 is not insignificant, especially when all it does for them is reduce their profits. That's someone's bonus we're talking about.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
They have no motivation to provide them and incur ANY cost. Those that want that protection will buy it. Those that don't care (as shown by the posts above) will not. 5 cents x 3,000,000 is not insignificant, especially when all it does for them is reduce their profits. That's someone's bonus we're talking about.

Of course they don't see any obligation to. Duh!

Just because I want to see something doesn't mean it has to be. Just let me say whatever crap I want to say.

I think they should all include 2 extra charging cables and a free case too.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol. It would be nice if the coating they put on he Gorilla glass was as scratch resistant as the Gorilla glass itself. I've read that most of the scratches we're seeing are in that coating. Kinda doesn't make all that much sense to me...tout Gorilla Glass' scratch resistance then coat it with something that shows scratches.

astralis

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm really curious as what people do to their phones to get all these hairline scratches. I've never used a screen protector on my iPhone 3GS or 4S, and definitely don't plan to on my S4 when i get it. Those two iPhones definitely didn't have Gorilla Glass 3 and they did just fine.
My S3 dropped on the concrete while I was sitting in a chair. I pushed the chair back, moved my legs and landed my foot on the S3, which was facing glass-down on the concrete. My foot slid the S3 across the concrete like it was sandpaper. It was full of hairline scratches. That's one way to get those scratches.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My S3 dropped on the concrete while I was sitting in a chair. I pushed the chair back, moved my legs and landed my foot on the S3, which was facing glass-down on the concrete. My foot slid the S3 across the concrete like it was sandpaper. It was full of hairline scratches. That's one way to get those scratches.

Wow. Ouch. Things happen...even to the most careful. Otterbox Defender. ...or some other protection. Life happens.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've also got the same one. Film kinds have rainbow effect if you don't choose carefully. This protector also can fit into all cases unlike thicker ones. Or get TR series.
I'm looking at Spigen screen protectors, both film and glass. I've only used film before. At the price, I assume the glass ones are far superior. One question: Spigen recommends getting a case with the glass protectors (adding more $$!). In your experience, is that necessary?

10 Gauge

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't laugh, but I really like the film protector that comes with the Otterbox Commuter cases. Easy to install, completely bubble free, doesn't feel like crap when sliding your finger across it, and doesn't affect the screen clarity. It is however a total fingerprint magnet, it's very hard to keep clean.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what I like about the Spigen glass screen protectors. VERY oliophobic and very easy to keep clean. Granted at $20 (give or take a few bucks) a pop, there not exactly cheap and if you screw up putting it on, well, let's just say it's a costly mistake. And they don't fit under all cases. But otherwise they feel like no screen protector at all.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Make it $30 for the Glas.t Slim, $35 for the Glas.t Nano Slim or the Glas.tr Slim. Maybe I'll start with film and work my way up. :)

Do these glass protectors actually require a case (another $25-$50!) as Spigen suggests ("To prevent any excess force from coming in contact with the edges of the screen protector we highly recommend that a case is used with the GLAS.t SLIM")?

vaxick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used the same protector for years.

Hint, run the protector under water, shake it, and install it with the remaining water still on it. Then push all the bubbles/water out. You'll not only get a very great apply, but it'll stay very secure. I've been doing this for many years. It used to be how they told you to apply them.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I always use some type of screen protector. No matter what material its not 100% scratch resistant. Just having some dust or dirt on you finger can scratch it. Why not protect your investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Wasn't aware that cellphones were an investment... Especially since so many here buy, return, and upgrade their phones to stay current with the latest and greatest gadget. To be an investment your phone would have to go up in value over time....not a single one ever has done that....

Sent with my Galaxy Nexus

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would venture that not all value is defined monetarily and not all investments actually yield positive returns. The hope is that you get something worthwhile out of what you put into it, but that something in is not always money nor is the something out.

In the case of phones or other computing devices, for some the investment is the time/energy for researching what to buy, sunk costs in purchase and accessories, ongoing costs in service and perhaps insurance, etc and the return is the enjoyment of the device and/or quantity of time saved by it's productivity advantages over other methods not used, less the cost of frustrating moments and/or any needed repairs or upkeep costs.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector in my life..and I can't recall ever having scratches on my screen (GS4 or previous phone).

Of course, I don't put my phone in much danger...it always gets its own pocket in my shorts/pants...can't really scratch it with lint.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I used to use zagg sheilds religiously when I worked at best buy but now I don't bother. I do take my earrings off or use a headset when talking on the phone tho

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress