08-07-2013 09:36 AM
75 123
tools
    When I got my Samsung S4 (16GB) through Best Buy Mobile.. the sales consultant said if I get their protection plan My phone is completely covered for cracks on the screen, water damage (no theft though).. and up to one battery replacement.. No deductible and unlimited number of incidents.. So I got that..

my issue now is.. I am considering returning the phone for the 32GB version (I originally said I wasn't, but Husband told me to just do it since it's $50 for the extra space - & this is my Mother's Day Gift lol ), but through AT&T directly..

but I wanted to know if any of you opted for insurance/protection plan that was similar to what best buy had offered me.

I for the life of me cannot find the e-mail from AT&T that they were offering some kind of insurance for $6.99 extra a month but I remember when I originally got my Note 2 (returned it), they mentioned that they do have insurance plan for water damage/phone crack etc but the deductible was $200 and you were limited on how many accidents could happen (or something like that).

And I don't know if it's worth it to change to the 32GB cause the protection plan I have with best buy sounds too good to leave (cause i'd have to get the 32GB with AT&T since they will not have the 32GB)..

Any input would be greatly appreciated?
    05-08-2013 11:01 AM
    Nope
    05-08-2013 11:03 AM
    Not yet, but I am considering getting the Square Trade protection plan

Samsung Galaxy S Insurance
    FitMomXtine and skiner5246 like this.
    05-08-2013 11:06 AM
    Not yet, but I am considering getting the Square Trade protection plan

Samsung Galaxy S Insurance
    Thanks a bunch I'll look into that - Looks pretty good though - just like the BB one.. has a cheaper deductible than the AT&T one..

I'm still on the fence getting the 32gb or not.. (hassle lol) this would be the 4th time I went back and forth with samsungs and my iPhone (which I don't wanna use at all at this point lol)
    05-08-2013 11:13 AM
    I have ocd so I'm very careful with my phones. Never scratched, dropped, dinged, lost a cellphone in 15 years.
    For my situation issurance is a waste of $80 a year plus a deductable.:beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    jhill110 likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:15 AM
    I have ocd so I'm very careful with my phones. Never scratched, dropped, dinged, lost a cellphone in 15 years.
    For my situation issurance is a waste of $80 a year plus a deductable.:beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    From the look of your avatar, I don't think I'd wanna try and steal your phone lol
    clintw22, satannik, GB333 and 4 others like this.
    05-08-2013 11:18 AM
    When I got my Samsung S4 (16GB) through Best Buy Mobile.. the sales consultant said if I get their protection plan My phone is completely covered for cracks on the screen, water damage (no theft though).. and up to one battery replacement.. No deductible and unlimited number of incidents.. So I got that..

my issue now is.. I am considering returning the phone for the 32GB version (I originally said I wasn't, but Husband told me to just do it since it's $50 for the extra space - & this is my Mother's Day Gift lol ), but through AT&T directly..

but I wanted to know if any of you opted for insurance/protection plan that was similar to what best buy had offered me.

I for the life of me cannot find the e-mail from AT&T that they were offering some kind of insurance for $6.99 extra a month but I remember when I originally got my Note 2 (returned it), they mentioned that they do have insurance plan for water damage/phone crack etc but the deductible was $200 and you were limited on how many accidents could happen (or something like that).

And I don't know if it's worth it to change to the 32GB cause the protection plan I have with best buy sounds too good to leave (cause i'd have to get the 32GB with AT&T since they will not have the 32GB)..

Any input would be greatly appreciated?
    What a great question!
    I too am in the same boat as you. I have recently debated turning in my 16GB S4 and getting the 32 GB. ( I have until tomorrow) I'd just caution you to get what the Best Buy plan covers in writting and compare with AT&T's. I have the AT&T plan and after looking at your post, I found this.

AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Mobile Insurance

I checked to see what the levels were and right now the S4 is considered Equipment Tier III = $199 deductable. It's still $6.99/mo for insurance but like you, I don't know if AT&T covers water, but they do cover theft. I may have to run to the store and find out exactly the deal is after work today. WIsh you luck.
    05-08-2013 11:20 AM
    I thought phones were covered under Obama care?????

Seriously though, I figure if I break a phone its my fault and i'll deal with it and buy the new latest and greatest phone at that time
    05-08-2013 11:21 AM
    Yup I got the $200 deal.... Imo that's a steal for a brand new s4 if you lose or break it.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:23 AM
    I never had insurance for my iPhone 4S and thank goodness nothing happened to it as I was very careful with it too - kept it in it's otterbox case and it's still in pristine condition!

But because this is such an investment for me And Have little ones running around (thank goodness I had applecare on my iPad because they dropped it on accident) so yes If I were to damage my phone it'd be my fault - But I do want to at least have piece of mind that I can easily replace it without having to pay the total cost of the phone - cause I'm not sure about you, I just don't have that kind of money laying around right now..

- - - Updated - - -

Yup I got the $200 deal.... Imo that's a steal for a brand new s4 if you lose or break it.

Yea my husband was saying that's not bad considering the phone is close to a grand itself.. so i'm taking that into consideration as well.
    05-08-2013 11:25 AM
    I have Asurion insurance. $6.99 a month and a $100 deducible. It covers everything and anything.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:35 AM
    I never had insurance for my iPhone 4S and thank goodness nothing happened to it as I was very careful with it too - kept it in it's otterbox case and it's still in pristine condition!

But because this is such an investment for me And Have little ones running around (thank goodness I had applecare on my iPad because they dropped it on accident) so yes If I were to damage my phone it'd be my fault - But I do want to at least have piece of mind that I can easily replace it without having to pay the total cost of the phone - cause I'm not sure about you, I just don't have that kind of money laying around right now..

- - - Updated - - -

Yea my husband was saying that's not bad considering the phone is close to a grand itself.. so i'm taking that into consideration as well.
    Idk about a grand but it is like $700 without a contract and that's the 16gb model.

05-08-2013 11:40 AM
    The BB plan is the best out there because of the unlimited repairs and no deductible. I have it and have always had it. Unfortunately I have had to use it a couple times and it was worth every penny. If you pre pay it is cheaper and if you get rid of your phone you will get a prorated refund.

Prepayment is $170, which is about $7.05 per month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 11:41 AM
    Idk about a grand but it is like $700 without a contract and that's the 16gb model.

I said close to a grand and 700 is quite close to it.
    even then i don't have $700 laying around.
    05-08-2013 11:43 AM
    The BB plan is the best out there because of the unlimited repairs and no deductible. I have it and have always had it. Unfortunately I have had to use it a couple times and it was worth every penny. If you pre pay it is cheaper and if you get rid of your phone you will get a prorated refund.

Prepayment is $170, which is about $7.05 per month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Yes, I was just reading their features (Smartphone & iPhone Protection Plans | Best Budy)

and I didnt know you could pre-pay. I wonder if I can go back instore and change it (instead of paying monthly $9.99)
    05-08-2013 11:44 AM
    I said close to a grand and 700 is quite close to it.
    even then i don't have $700 laying around.
    Lol not much of us do.

05-08-2013 11:45 AM
    I have had square trade on several phones including my current note 2. Have not had a claim but they have good reviews on amazon which is where I buy it from. Only helpful if broken and not lost or stolen. The deductible is $99 which is about what it cost for 2 years.

I have bought many phones at full price so for peace of mind I spent the money. I do not have it on my Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:51 AM
    Can I get a BB Protection plan even if I did not buy my phone from Best Buy?
    05-08-2013 11:56 AM
    Can I get a BB Protection plan even if I did not buy my phone from Best Buy?
    I just asked this and they said no, the phone has to be bought directly from them.
    05-08-2013 12:10 PM
    I just asked this and they said no, the phone has to be bought directly from them.
    Ahhh dang I should have known lol...ah well
    05-08-2013 12:11 PM
    I use Verizon's insurance since it's built right into my bill. I think it's maybe $7 a month, which sucks, but my general rule of thumb is that I buy an insurance plan for anything costing over $600. People that insure $200 video cards and $300 televisions are just throwing that money away.
    05-08-2013 01:21 PM
    I bought the AT&T protection plan for $4.99 per month.

John
    05-08-2013 01:46 PM
    I use Verizon's insurance since it's built right into my bill. I think it's maybe $7 a month, which sucks, but my general rule of thumb is that I buy an insurance plan for anything costing over $600. People that insure $200 video cards and $300 televisions are just throwing that money away.
    The only thing I would disagree with you on would be high end BT headsets. They last a year at best, and cost around $100. BB cbarges like $9 for 2 years. I end up getting a brand new headset every year for another $9. They used to sell plans on printers, but stopped. Probably for the same reason. Printers don't last that long.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 01:47 PM
    Yes, I was just reading their features (Smartphone & iPhone Protection Plans | Best Budy)

and I didnt know you could pre-pay. I wonder if I can go back instore and change it (instead of paying monthly $9.99)
    Go back and ask. Its worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 01:48 PM

It's more like $570.

It seems crazy to me that you guys would pay $100 a year for the opportunity to pay $200 just in case you lose or break your phone.

You realize that 1 year from now you will be able to buy a Galaxy S4 on eBay for probably $350 used which will only be marginally more than you would have spent just in the event something happens?
    roberts68 likes this.
    05-08-2013 02:48 PM
75 123