"Warning Camera Failed" every time I open the camera app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
After the FIFTH factory reset, the camera app has worked about five times in a row, but now it is back to crashing. Now though, instead of "warning camera failed", I get, "camera is not responding, would you like to close it", which at least seems a bit less frightening.

Does that sound like a possible damaged or loose connection on the hardware side to anyone else?

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Every phone has its share of doa(dead on arrival) units. I've sent iPhones back for the exact same reason (camera crashing the phone). Everything from basic phones to note 2s have a probable rate of failure. Doesn't mean any of them are bad or that quality control sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Every phone has its share of doa(dead on arrival) units. I've sent iPhones back for the exact same reason (camera crashing the phone). Everything from basic phones to note 2s have a probable rate of failure. Doesn't mean any of them are bad or that quality control sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I wonder if it's possible to gauge what that rate looks like by location, device and manufacturer. For example, there are apparently failure rate differences on Samsung Galaxy Nexus devices that are made in China versus made in South Korea; I guess I'm curious if anyone compiles and aggregates data like that for public consumption or if it's all relatively anecdotal.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got the phone two hours ago, have yet to successfully use the camera without crashing, giving that message. Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it? This was straight out of the box....

I have the HTC One. Great phone as is the S4. But when you mass produce things there are going to be problems. The HTC has dead pixels etc. I love the phone and haven't had any problems but plenty of people have had problems. Plus they both have just been released recently so there are bound to be bugs. I don't know why you picked your phone but I would maybe give that phone another shot.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Why is this such issue? If you purchased a brand new television and one of the video outputs didn't work what would you do? RETURN IT FOR ANOTHER UNIT!!!!! Some of these threads are for attention I think. This is a no brainier. You paid for a brand new 100% functional phone, go get what you paid for

Posted via Android Central App

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to put a bookend on this thread, exchanged the GS4 for another GS4 this morning in San Diego, everything seems to be working ok. If I was getting a phone for the hardware, it would be a Nokia, not HTC, so I decided against the One. After putting on a case, a screen cover, throwing in a 16GB SD card, setting everything up and letting it rip on TMO's blazing fast network in San Diego, this is shaping up to be quite a monster, definitely making my Nexus 4 feel dated.

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it's possible to gauge what that rate looks like by location, device and manufacturer. For example, there are apparently failure rate differences on Samsung Galaxy Nexus devices that are made in China versus made in South Korea; I guess I'm curious if anyone compiles and aggregates data like that for public consumption or if it's all relatively anecdotal.

Sometimes it even varies shipment to shipment to and from the same location. I did however notice, more often than not, that our s3s and note2s from korea, had less issues than the ones from china.

Posted via Android Central App

ToughFF

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Got the camera fail on day one... rebooted... then worked

Same thing happened on day 2, but after reset, still did it everytime I open camera.

Exchanging it tomorrow...

Lana Tan

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This just happened to me yesterday - have reset to factory settings and battery is full - still shows warning - black screen and camera failed!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me yesterday - have reset to factory settings and battery is full - still shows warning - black screen and camera failed!

Just exchange it for a fully working unit. No need to mess around with a lemon.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

michael16992

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I've got my HTC one last week, after about 5 hours my HTC didnt want to show the keyboard anymore, it wouldnt open the camera and was very very slow. I checked my RAM memory and it showed it used 1,4 out of the 1,5 GB RAM memory. I gave it a factory reset and now all my apps work fine as well as the keyboard. The only thing was that it gave me the exact same failure when I tried to start my camera (in Dutch: "Starten camera mislukt"). I havent found solution to this problem yet. But what I was told today in the store where I got my HTC was that they had to reinstall the software on my HTC one, because my phone was not installed properly or something. Due to the fact that the person who was able to do this wasnt at work today I'm bringing it to them tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted if this is the solution to the problem. Lets keep our hopes up!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Why bother with such a new device?!
Just exchange it for another one that works! :banghead:

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Gary Toy

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Just got a new Samsung Galaxy s4 and the camera doesn't work. Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same "Camera Failed" problem. How can I fix it? Is it a hardware or a software/firmware problem?
Thanks

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm also the proud new owner of a Samsung Galaxy S4 since last Monday.
I've been taking pictures since day one with no problems.
I recommend you do what I said in the post above yours :thumbup::D
If it's brand new and it doesn't work, just take it back!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

NeoxMax

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Just go to Application manager and select all application found the camera and disable application ( I'm forgot the name is like end task in windows) and then restart the S4. your camera application ready to use

Anuj Vohra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I got it fixed by following these steps:

1. Connect your device to your laptop using data cable
2. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache
3. Delete everything in this folder
4. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Android\data\com.sec.android.gallery3d\cache
5. Delete everything in this folder
6. Restart your phone
7. Camera works :)

crashoveride34

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue 5 days out of the box. error read, camera can not connect-app closes. I said screw it, factory reset later and my camera works again!!!!
I'm blaming go launcher, but I'm not sure....