Making the transition from iPhone 4 to Samsung Galaxy S4

glades

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Just made the leap from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I can't wait to receive the shipment. This forum is definitely an awesome resource, I was able to save a couple of hundred bucks because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan but my understanding was Verizon wouldn't let you keep it if you're looking to purchase and subsidize the price of the phone with a 2 year contract. This forum gave me the heads up on working around that problem.

Needless to say I will be venturing on this site forum a lot as I transition from iOS to Android. Some of the tweaks and features I couldn't live without for my iPhone were:

1. biteSMS (without a doubt my favorite app, love the quick reply, responding to texts on my lock screen, and not having my app close as I am receiving a text)
2. plugication (music starts playing as soon as you plug in your headphones.)
3. lockscreen lighting up once you receive a push notification. (ie/ sms, gmail, nyt alert. I know with a lot of Android devices the LED lights up when their's a new notification but you're really going to wear out that power button to see what the alert is no?)
4. AV Player (plays most video files you throw at it. I am certainly looking forward to check out my UFC fights and Poker After Dark shows on the S4 screen.)

Are their any apps or tweaks that Android can provide as an alternative? I've done my research but there seems to be a lot of options, just want to see what your opinions are on the best option out there and why.

Also, what are your favorite apps/widgets that you just can't live without for Android?

I know as soon as I get my phone, these are the apps I will be downloading:

Shazam
Bank app
DirecTV
Google voice / drive
Facebook
CNBC (real time quotes, might be a better app for that but i'm just so use to the interface and to lazy to check out anything else)
Accuweather
Yelp
Tip calculator
Waze

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just made the leap from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I can't wait to receive the shipment. This forum is definitely an awesome resource, I was able to save a couple of hundred bucks because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan but my understanding was Verizon wouldn't let you keep it if you're looking to purchase and subsidize the price of the phone with a 2 year contract. This forum gave me the heads up on working around that problem.

Needless to say I will be venturing on this site forum a lot as I transition from iOS to Android. Some of the tweaks and features I couldn't live without for my iPhone were:

1. biteSMS (without a doubt my favorite app, love the quick reply, responding to texts on my lock screen, and not having my app close as I am receiving a text)
2. plugication (music starts playing as soon as you plug in your headphones.)
3. lockscreen lighting up once you receive a push notification. (ie/ sms, gmail, nyt alert. I know with a lot of Android devices the LED lights up when their's a new notification but you're really going to wear out that power button to see what the alert is no?)
4. AV Player (plays most video files you throw at it. I am certainly looking forward to check out my UFC fights and Poker After Dark shows on the S4 screen.)

Are their any apps or tweaks that Android can provide as an alternative? I've done my research but there seems to be a lot of options, just want to see what your opinions are on the best option out there and why.

Also, what are your favorite apps/widgets that you just can't live without for Android?

I know as soon as I get my phone, these are the apps I will be downloading:

Shazam
Bank app
DirecTV
Google voice / drive
Facebook
CNBC (real time quotes, might be a better app for that but i'm just so use to the interface and to lazy to check out anything else)
Accuweather
Yelp
Tip calculator
Waze

1 can be handled by hand cent or gosms

2 that feature comes stock on the s4 built right into the os

3 I think there may be a setting to have the screen turn on but I'm not 100% but the led will light up

4 their are TONS of video players and they can support almost any file type.

My favorite apps are falcon or plume for twitter

Any. Do for my to do list

The android central app for the forums and flip board and pulse for news

Sportscenter and team stream for sports

That covers my main apps I use regularly other than the stock ones like gmail and chrome Web browser

- VZW GS4 -

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on all your posts but I to back in the day had biteSMS for iPhone... For android it's called ChompSMS.. Made by the same people that make biteSMS!

It will feel a little different from the iPhone one but I was able to setup mine how I like and I've been loving it since I switched to Android with the S2.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The stock Samsung video player is pretty awesome. Handles way more formats/codecs than AOSP.

Don't forget to disable iMessage before you dump your iPhone. Don't want those texts being rerouted to a device you no longer use...

iamchanel

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I left iPhone (after having them all) and I'd say nothing will replace any of that stuff the way IOS has it.
That said...
Gosms is close.
All twitter apps suck on Android (not Tweetbot or Twitterific)
I wish I could tweet and fb post from notification center so fast.
There is a lot more lag on Android than IOS
Notifications do jut that.. notify you but none as pretty as IOS

That said... maybe I should sell my Galaxy S4 and go back to iPhone 5 hahaha (except I'll be straining my eyeballs on that TINY screen )

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I jsut switched from an iPhone as well. I downloaded Dashclock (an amazing widget for the lock screen) plus the extensions for it. ChompSMS, and changed the fonts, theme etc.. to more of an iphone style cause I loved iPhones messaging. I also installed Apex Launcher (once i got a bit tired of Touchwiz), so I could customize the homescreen more. I also downloaded Holo Icons. With the launcher you can change the icons to different images. Your gonna LOVE the S4

glades

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate all the opinions and suggestions - one thing I wanted to add was that another feature (not sure how I could forget) that I'm going to miss is called the SMS GV extension, its essentially a tweak that integrates google voice text messages into your native messaging system. Pretty much it allows you to respond all of your texts whether via your carrier or through google voice in one spot. If anything that was my favorite feature on the iPhone. So convenient and seamless and it saved me _SO_ much money in regards to paying for texts. I did some research and it appears that their was a developer (I believe the same one that built the SMS GV extension for iPhone) that made one but it doesn't work for the newer Android versions apparently.

ocena88

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hack the Thread.. I just recently made a switch too fro, iPhone 4s, i really miss camera+ apps, is there a similar apps for android that anyone can recommend ? Thanks.. Im loving the big screen of s4,however i miss the simpleness of ios.

glades

May 30, 2013
Visit site
This phone is absolutely amazing, finally got my hands on it and have been tinkering with it for the past day or so. Two things that stick out for me, the screen is just incredible. Who knew that 1 inch difference can be so huge?

The thing thats been driving me nuts is I would like to customize the notification tone for my stock calendar alerts and when I receive a new mail from my gmail app. It appears you can only make a change with the stock tones. Is there a way to utilize your own notification tone for these apps?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This phone is absolutely amazing, finally got my hands on it and have been tinkering with it for the past day or so. Two things that stick out for me, the screen is just incredible. Who knew that 1 inch difference can be so huge?

The thing thats been driving me nuts is I would like to customize the notification tone for my stock calendar alerts and when I receive a new mail from my gmail app. It appears you can only make a change with the stock tones. Is there a way to utilize your own notification tone for these apps?

Try this: go into each app, press menu key next to home, this should bring up a list of optiins, settings being one. Click settings and notifications sbould be there.

Otherwise, welcome to the forums, have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to utilize your own notification tone for these apps?
Just put it into the Notifications folder at the top of your internal storage directory (/storage/emulated/0/ if you're going through My Files), or the Ringtones folder for ringtones.

This will add the sounds to the options for either general use or for any single app.

glades

May 30, 2013
Visit site
wow it was right under my nose.. thank you Golfdriver97 and s44. I'm so use to iPhone's rigidness, I can't believe it was that easy to modify the notification tones. Even after jailbreaking the iPhone I still couldn't change the notification tone in the gmail app. This was done in a snap with my S4.

All I did was add the tones to the Notifications folder inside the Internal Storage directory.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
wow it was right under my nose.. thank you Golfdriver97 and s44. I'm so use to iPhone's rigidness, I can't believe it was that easy to modify the notification tones. Even after jailbreaking the iPhone I still couldn't change the notification tone in the gmail app. This was done in a snap with my S4.

All I did was add the tones to the Notifications folder inside the Internal Storage directory.

No sweat. That is what we are here for.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

glades

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Alright this is driving me nuts. I need to figure out a way to have the screen light up for any notifications (ie/ gmail, sms, google voice, calendar alerts, facebook). I tried using dashclock extension - anydash but it keeps on crashing.

Is there an app that can provide this function?

It is mindboggling to me that such a high end phone doesn't have a feature like this. I'm going to wear out the home button if I can't find the solution within a month lol.

Sachin Kohli1

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi...I am switching from iPhone 4S to Samsung galaxy s4. Have transferred all my data but not able to find how to transfer iPhone reminders to s4. Have about 1000plus reminders so if anyone can provide solution would be great.