Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.

You know the old joke---There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. ;)

I think people do want space. Can I prove it? No. BUT.... Why haven't larger sized units sold well? The stats imply that people don't want them. That's wrong, I think. What the stats mean is (a) there was an SD card slot that most (until now) have found adequate to meet their extra uses; and (b) price. Regarding the former, I personally didn't even realize changes had been made in terms of app usage on the card until I got the new phone. I think 16gb works fairly well, all things considered, but if I had known that I would've cross-examined T-Mobile a little more aggressively on their plans to make sure nothing bigger was coming any time soon and been a bit more concerned about it. As to the latter point, on this forum, it sometimes seems like people ignore that these are $629 items that quickly go out of date considering how fast technology keeps changing. In the real world, most people don't want to upgrade such pricey things every 12 months. While the price increment for 16 to 32 may seem small in the grand scheme of things, it is also an area where it may simply be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I think there will come a time when 32gb is standard. And I still want the SD card expansion capability. If there is power, software makers will find ways to use it. If there is space, they will find ways to use that, too.

Similarly, people are talking about slow S4 sales. I interpret that this way: the s3 was already here. IT was a real nice phone. It was really expensive. Lots of people just aren't ready to toss it and upgrade for incremental improvements. Their next phone is probably the S5. ;)

This is why apple sell so many still - misplaced brand loyalty! Just get whatever manufacturer makes the best device at the time of upgrade, whoever makes it! They honestly don't give a **** about us as individuals....

Probably true. I don't care about them in any personal sense either. It is a commercial transaction. Nothing more, nothing less.

When you have to satisfy millions of people, here's a certainty: you will be forced to make some choices that makes someone unhappy. No person or company can be all things to all people. Samsung tries harder than most to promote choices and give options, I think.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.

Finally a post with some common sense to it! So many come on the forums complaining about the storage space but very few actually carry through and spend the extra $$$ to purchase the 32GB and 64GB models! Thus the poor availability! Samsung may be willing to manufacture the 32/64 models but if the carriers don't buy them why would they?
The fact remains, demand for the larger models is fairly small and the vast majority of GS4 buyers are fine with the 16GB model!

Cheers

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow great find!! Thanks. Nice to know concerns are being addressed :thumbup::D

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Con Georgiadis

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Really? Wow thats pretty dumb
I heard the camera was different...hows that??

I can see some small improvement in night shoots...about 5% but maybe it's a placebo effect.
One thing is certain...the flash of camera has been improved.It's more powerfull
and the light is diffused uniformly giving a better image overall.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Finally a post with some common sense to it! So many come on the forums complaining about the storage space but very few actually carry through and spend the extra $$$ to purchase the 32GB and 64GB models! Thus the poor availability! Samsung may be willing to manufacture the 32/64 models but if the carriers don't buy them why would they?
The fact remains, demand for the larger models is fairly small and the vast majority of GS4 buyers are fine with the 16GB model!

Cheers

If I understand you two correctly, you are basically saying that, for example, if I were to release two widgets, one of which was a better model, but more expensive, yet only had the low end model available for a month or two, I could effectively say that there was no demand for the high end widget? Goofy logic at best guys. :) As I understand it, availability of the 32GB model of the S3 was more rare and delayed than the S4 launch.

I do agree with one thing, though, speak with your wallet. Don't buy because you are impatient. Learn patience and put the consumer back in control of the markets.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Cheers

It's not about he carriers. It's about the users. The users don't buy them, so the carriers won't waste cash on them, and the OEM won't waste components on them. In the end, it will only result in deeply discounted devices that kill their profit margins as they near launching the next iteration.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had the update and have yet to use the Move Apps to SD feature...I'm just glad the phone actually works now

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 4... I LOVE THIS PHONE

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
If I understand you two correctly, you are basically saying that, for example, if I were to release two widgets, one of which was a better model, but more expensive, yet only had the low end model available for a month or two, I could effectively say that there was no demand for the high end widget? Goofy logic at best guys. :) As I understand it, availability of the 32GB model of the S3 was more rare and delayed than the S4 launch.

I do agree with one thing, though, speak with your wallet. Don't buy because you are impatient. Learn patience and put the consumer back in control of the markets.

Not exactly true... You're comparing two products and saying one is inferior to the other.. So people would pay for a better product. In the case of the s4 the lower internal storage is not inferior in anyway to the higher storage.. It works so people that don't need a high amount of storage get the 16gb

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I think you completely miscomprehending what they are saying.

The higher SKUs don't sale nearly as well as some people's cries for them are implying. That's the issue. Everyone on these forums speaks almost as if their needs are the mainstream, when that simply isn't the case. 64GB SKUs are extremely niche and almost special purpose. There aren't many of us who are willing to pay a premium for a SKU we don't require simply to get manufacturers to offer those SKUs for those who do. Most people are selfish with their purchases, they purchase based on their needs not based on what they think market conditions should be for others.

If everyone in this thread bought a 64GB GS4 that would still only be a drop in the bucket for Samsung and it still wouldn't change things enough for them to offer those SKUs consistently.

dcillusions77

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Talked to Samsung via their website this morning, and they said to look for the update in the "next coming weeks" in the U.S.also tried to squeeze a date from them, no luck though :(

JamesBramble

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm in the UK and the update is yet to appear to KIES. Any idea when it will?

I'm in the UK too. I know Vodafone customers who have branded S4's have had there update a couple of days ago. It's all good I've been told.

I'm on Vodafone but my S4 is unbranded so I've got to wait a few more days

Posted via Android Central App

LadyShaq1

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if this update is for the Samsung GS4 only or all Samsung Androids? I need to know because I love my Galaxy Rush but I don't like the fact that I don't have the option to move my game and "certain" apps to my SD card.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem with SD cards other than the card going bad so I had to replace it with a new one that had my backed up data on it. It's a feature; not a bug. Google is wrong.

Craigyc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just received this update today! Don't have much need to move apps to the SD at the moment as I mainly put spotify offline music on my external SD card! I can't say I have noticed much of an improvement with the camera app though which is what I was looking forward to the most :(

I am in the UK by the way on O2.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just received this update today! Don't have much need to move apps to the SD at the moment as I mainly put spotify offline music on my external SD card! I can't say I have noticed much of an improvement with the camera app though which is what I was looking forward to the most :(

I am in the UK by the way on O2.

Ive got a sim free i9505 sim free with a 3uk sim contract inserted still haven't got my update

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Rook

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the most important thing here is the reason why people choose samsung over apple or htc......interchangeable battery if your a road warrior...and ability to add 8gb, 16gb, 32gb or even 64gb of extra ram.......if you travel a lot taking everything on the road is important....with the nuiances of google play store apps not allowing you to download content like movies or music outside your home country downloading content before you go needs space.....I hope samsung never takes away these options by going down the apple route......yes of course there are issues with novice users and the occasional issues with sd cards but a simple backup would help sord out the sd card failure or just buy good quality sd cards

We should support what samsung has done...not try to force them down the more ram on base device and have no option to add more storage

Im a fan of samsung.......they differentiate

A

Melody Sharp

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, ive updated my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with the new update. I was very pleased to see that you can now move apps to SD card but my problem is that once I have moved apps to the card that it isnt freeing up space on the internal memory :( Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Melody-Mae

Stakeouttoo

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if there is an Update for the Galaxy Tab 3... I was just about to buy one but want the choice of moving apps to the sd card... if I can't that'll be the deal-breaker for me

I have the S4 and got the Update for moving apps over to the card --works fine