SD card unmounted and saying damaged

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Like the title, my new sd card (Samsung 16gb) of 2 weeks is continuously unmounted and saying it is damaged, then miraculously working g a few minutes later. This is now the third card I have used, having already tried SanDisk and Lexar, I know there are threads about it happening during boot and other stuff but mine is happening all the time, and will likely become unusable by the end of the week like the others. Any input or suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't already, format the card in your phone. That completely resolved the issue for me.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes i have installed the latest update which helped for a bit, then it started again *sigh* It has stopped doing the issue for 2 days, but now just doesnt recognize i have a card in my phone lol. Il hqve to try reformatting it and see if it works! Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Curses!!!

After a few months of working fine with my PNY card (former Sandisk one failed) my S4 is again saying "Damaged card". Just happened out of the blue. Only thing I did right before was install teh Duck Dynasty app, I then decided to restart my phone, and then BAM!, started getting the message. Arrrrrrgggh!!

I took out the battery, took out the card, re-installed. No luck.

I don't want to reformat because I will lose everything I have on teh phone pretty much!!

Anyone figure out a new way to fix this?

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Curses!!!

After a few months of working fine with my PNY card (former Sandisk one failed) my S4 is again saying "Damaged card". Just happened out of the blue. Only thing I did right before was install teh Duck Dynasty app, I then decided to restart my phone, and then BAM!, started getting the message. Arrrrrrgggh!!

I took out the battery, took out the card, re-installed. No luck.

I don't want to reformat because I will lose everything I have on teh phone pretty much!!

Anyone figure out a new way to fix this?

Have you tried putting the card on a PC and seeing about getting your files back. You won't be able to save your applications or application data or anything or the sort but your pictures/videos/music, etc should be recoverable. Unless the SD card is officially dead.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried putting the card on a PC and seeing about getting your files back. You won't be able to save your applications or application data or anything or the sort but your pictures/videos/music, etc should be recoverable. Unless the SD card is officially dead.

That's my plan when I get home. So darn frustrating. I know it's got to be a software/phone hardware issue, no way all these SD cards folks are having come up "dead" are faulty this often.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks to one of our IT guys, he sent me these fix instructions he found online. Props to whoever the original poster of this was.

Sometimes the file system on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>
My SD card reader is X:\ drive, so i would use the following command:
chkdsk /X /F X:
SD card reader is recommended of course

All my pix and files are there, apps are back, it's back to 100% now (crossing fingers!)

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Normally all that is needed is to remount the card. I take it that you tried doing that first?

Sent from my GS4 using Tapatalk 4

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree. My particular issue was that it wasn't allowing me to remount. Once I reformatted in my macbook it was perfect again :)

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks to one of our IT guys, he sent me these fix instructions he found online. Props to whoever the original poster of this was.

All my pix and files are there, apps are back, it's back to 100% now (crossing fingers!)

I want to something.here.....pls explain.....after following all the you quated in your post.....CHKDSK asks for a Y or N.....what to do then ?? I confess, i am not very good at dos other than cd, md, dir, type, and the fundamentals.....

Posted via Android Central App

bjorkzilla

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks a lot, it worked. Created an account to thank you. :D
No need to format your card, all the data is there and it's working fine.
I used usb cable to connect my phone and booted into recovery mode and used mount card option. It was showing my card as I: drive but said it needs to formatted. Ran a chkdsk as you suggested and everything is fine now. Thank you so much.

sb65

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I frequently (like almost every time I view my pics or take new pics) get the error "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed". I have formatted the card via the phone and per Sandisk prod support instructions, formatted it from My Computer via card reader. I can read and write fine using the card writer, but when using just the phone, it gets the "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" error non-stop. This leads me to believe that the card is fine, but there is an issue with the phone. Anyone have luck getting Samsung to own up to an issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo