Newbie : Google Services is killing me!

amaranth75

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first Android phone just a couple of days ago (previously iPhone) and I've been trying to get to grips with it. My battery has been draining incredibly fast, and I've just discovered why - Google Services is taking up 86% of the battery and draining it at a rate of knots.

I've done some other online searches, made sure Google Now isn't running, uninstalled the Google apps back to the factory updates rather than most recent updates, turned off location settings, turned off GPS.. and now I've reached the limits of my knowledge, and Google Services is *still* active. Can anyone help, in language an Android newbie can understand? The screenshots of the Battery usage and the graph are below:

Screenshot_2013-09-08-16-21-13.jpgScreenshot_2013-09-08-16-23-27.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought my first Android phone just a couple of days ago (previously iPhone) and I've been trying to get to grips with it. My battery has been draining incredibly fast, and I've just discovered why - Google Services is taking up 86% of the battery and draining it at a rate of knots.

I've done some other online searches, made sure Google Now isn't running, uninstalled the Google apps back to the factory updates rather than most recent updates, turned off location settings, turned off GPS.. and now I've reached the limits of my knowledge, and Google Services is *still* active. Can anyone help, in language an Android newbie can understand? The screenshots of the Battery usage and the graph are below:
Have you tried rebooting the device?

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If you had to install a firmware update when you first got the device, there's possibly a software bug draining the battery. Most of us have been through it and the painful yet easy fix is a factory reset. Judging from the 6hr drain, you've got it.

jtimcampy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the Google Service battery eating issue too when I first got my S4 5 days ago. I turned off the Location service in the setting, Google Now, and some Location settings in Google map. Most of the Google Service battery usage is due to Google trying to constantly update and check your location (from what I have experienced). Now I don't see Google Service under battery usage anymore.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I had this exact same problem a few weeks back, Google Services was about 50% of my battery. I just forced stopped it or disabled it, can't remember which. I don't want implication that has, but my phone has been much better.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I had this issue for a few days starting last week. I downloaded the Google play store 4.3.11 firmware APK and it solved the issue. Today I noticed it came back after I looked up an address of google maps. Does anyone know what I can do now? I don't want to factory reset because it's a pain to backup everything on my phone, any help would be appreciated.

digitalterry

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing issues in the last 48-72 hours with Google Services. I barely used my phone this weekend but could not make it to 8pm before battery died. Usually at 40% by then. Screen is always my major drain but 60% was Google Services today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine is up to 73% D:

Posted via Android Central App

Almost 2 months ago my phone had Google services at around 60%.
I turned location off for things I didn't want to know my location. After that I turned the phone off and then pulled the battery out. Waited about 20 minutes and put the battery back on and turned the phone on.
That did the trick! :)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hu!
Mine was at 10% yesterday, today is at 6%. :what::thumbup::D

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Attachments

• 1378791048401.jpg
    1378791048401.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google Services, Google Now and GPS by themselves should have very little impact on battery life. Seeing it take over like that is typically one of two things: 1. as people previously said, wakelock caused by the firmware update - factory reset fixes this, or 2. another app has location permission and is trying to utilized Google's API for this, failing and continually retrying.

Google Services by itself isn't really "doing" stuff, it handles network location, managing Google Accounts, teasing information between apps that have access to it, handling sync schedules and dynamics, etc. There used to be an option (not sure if it's still there) within the app data for Google Play Services to "manually control GPS data". I'm not sure what yours is toggled to on that.

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Its more than likely an app thats using your gps or constantly doing wake locks. We have an app that our company uses and this thing sucked my battery up several days in a row and I couldnt figure out it was the issue since it was disguised as the google services. The app showed 14% but google services showed 60% +. Anyways I ended up just having to make sure I log out of the app after each use otherwise my battery life sucked, Go over the apps you installed and uninstall/freeze them and then slowly introduce them back and see what triggers it. Or you can try to use "GSam Battery Monitor" to give you a break down of the app thats doing it.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Using WLD I see my phone isn't going to sleep at all. It is always awake. However, WLD isn't telling me what is keeping it awake. As you can see the top app is Google Music (drive in to work) and it isn't near the full awake time.
View attachment 80227
2013-09-10%2007.14.13.png

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I just cleared the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" and "Google Play Services" (I just looked for anything with Google and Services in the name). I then rebooted. It has only been 10 minutes but checking WLD after a few minutes shows my phone is now going into deep sleep (remember it was always "awake"). I'm already at 74% so I am gonna throw it on the charger and get it to 100% then see how it does today. I'll let y'all know.