Weird issue with new GS4 - Contacts (Verizon)

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I swapped from apple to android a few months ago, picked up the Samsung S4. I forget exactly how I transferred my contacts, but they're all there. The issue is when I search for contacts. Say I want to call/text Jim Smith. If I start typing Jim I will get 2 or 3 Jims, as well as Bob Jimmies and Susie Jimjam, but no Jim Smith. If I search Smith then he's there. There is really no pattern I've noticed either. Half of my contacts will pull up via first or last name while others will only pull up via one or the other. I tried getting an app to format all my numbers the same, 1+ or whatever. I have confirmed that all the fields are filled out correctly for all contacts.

(May or may not be related) At times I'll also pull 2 identical contacts, one being the email address, the other being the phone number. I feel like however I pulled my contacts really made a mess...

Thanks for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the dialer on my Razr Maxx, if I start typing a name using the numberpad, one contact will show up with a contact picture, but just above that, it will also say "## matches," where ## is the number of contacts that match so far. If I tap that, then it shows me all matches. Can you see anything like that on your S4?

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
No, if I type "Jim" in the search bar I get All Contacts - 4 found. All named Jim, but not the Jim I 'm looking for.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main issue I've noticed with searching Contacts while in the Dialer is that it won't locate contacts who have blank First Name/Last Name fields. This is mostly seen with businesses--so if you have a contact that is a business, and the business's name is in the "Company" field, but the "Name" field remains blank, then you'll have trouble finding it by spelling it out. Could this be the case for you?

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The main issue I've noticed with searching Contacts while in the Dialer is that it won't locate contacts who have blank First Name/Last Name fields. This is mostly seen with businesses--so if you have a contact that is a business, and the business's name is in the "Company" field, but the "Name" field remains blank, then you'll have trouble finding it by spelling it out. Could this be the case for you?

Odd, so I went in to give that a look and noticed the name was "Jim Smith", but when I clicked the pull-down it had "Jim Smith" as the last name. It looks as though when I imported contacts it screwed it up just enough to function at 50%. Is there a common method or app to reformat contacts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of, but worth a search! It is weird, because even if the full name is listed under last name, it should still come up with search.