Is My Galaxy S4 Totally Dead?

OldMD2B

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
My S4 had an unfortunate run-in with a car the other day -- meaning that it got run over. It was in an OtterBox Defender case, and landed face down after falling out of my pocket while I was on my bike. I noticed immediately that it had fallen out, but I could not get to it before a car did.

There is not even a scratch on the glass screen, but the display is spidered and black.

A new display is ~$200, but the replacement seems to be straightforward. Before I order a new one, however, I would like to know if the processor or other internal components have been damaged beyond repair. Short of installing a new display, is there any way to diagnose it?

Some details that may be significant: The phone vibrates on start-up, just as it normally would. The home button and the return/back button (lower right) seems to be fine. My alarm had been set before the accident, and it is still functional. As the display is not functional, I cannot unlock it. With the exception of the alarm, there are no other sounds (it had been set to silent before the accident). Perhaps most importantly, I am able to retrieve data when I connect it to my laptop via USB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is My S4 Totally Dead?

Welcome to the forums.
The thing that is hard to say about the situation is there may be a problem that will develop next week, next month, whenever. I am looking at it this way: The whole device flexed when the car ran it over. It is safe to assume that the whole board flexed causing minor cracks and breaks in the motherboard.

diggerace1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I have the exact same problem, if you or someone could please reply asap! cause I am in great need of my phone. Talking to someone about it would be of great help. It's crazy how you described it almost word for word how it happened to me except for the riding on bike part

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I don't think I would wanna waste $200.00 bucks just to find out, and I'm guessing you didn't get the insurance that would at least save you 100.00 bucks and less problems in the future?