notification on wifi only?

chionk

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I seem to remember a setting I turned off to save data before the 4.3 update where I chose to receive notifications only when on wifi. Im talking specifically about thescore app for hockey updates. Even with auto sync on, I only get updates once ive turned wifi on. This is annoying because if I go on vacation and dont use wifi, I come home to a billion notifications upon getting home to my wifi.

How do I get my notifications to come through all the time regardless what network I'm on?

Cheers

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh, you must talk about the "mobile data" button that was in the quick setting button on notification panel, right? Well, it's gone. :( They took it off on the recent update 4.3 .. but you could get this done by going to:

Settings > on the connections tab, press on data usage > check or uncheck the box "mobile data"

Check to use your data. This will enable you to receive notifications when you are NOT connected to a wifi.

Uncheck to disable the usage of your data. So you will get notifications ONLY when you are connected to a wifi.

I know it was easier when it was simply in the quick setting buttons.. I don?t know why they took it down either but anyways

Hopefully this will help you!

Posted via Android Central App - SAMSUNG GALAXY S4

chionk

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Ummm nop thats it not. I always have mobile data check. My issue is, thescore app I use to get sports updates through will only give me notifications when I am using wifi. I thought there was some hidden setting somewhere that allowed you to restrict app notifications to wifi only, in order to reduce data usage. I want this setting turned off so I can receive notifications all the time period.

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok ok! I think I found it... is it possibly that:

Again

Settings > connections tab, press on data usage > scroll down until you find the app you want and then press on it > scroll down and you'll find a option that says "restrict background data"

If not then it was a pleasure to try helping you 😅

noaffiliation

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I think I fixed this issue!!! This cost me hours of my life that I will never get back. I was going insane trying to figure out what was going on, and I'm not sure about you guys but I found literally hundreds of instances of this issue on the internet. Seems to be a major defect.

HOWEVER I was able to fix the problem for myself! Hopefully this works for everyone. The initial issue was that I had gone through my data usage and restricted a ton of apps from using background data to attempt to conserve data, but when I turned the restricted background data off for these apps the notifications never came again like I expected them to...

The culprit is/was the "Google Play services" app. I didn't think to turn this apps restricted background data off again because I only really wanted the notifications to come from the big apps anyways (instagram, facebook, snapchat, Hangouts, theScore, etc.). As soon as I turned OFF restricted background data, I received all my notifications on my mobile network (no wifi). I don't know how or why Google Play services controls basically all notifications but I guess that's how it is. My suggestion is to check that Google Play services background data is NOT restricted, and otherwise to go through every single app and be absolutely sure the restricted data is not on.

Cheers! Good luck

Reactions: fb8473

Veer Mothikari

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
You are lucky to get through it.

I have checked my settings,google play services & Restrict background data option. It is not kept ON. Though i have reinstalled the applications, the issue still persist.
I am getting the notifications only on Wifi. All the applications are working only in Wifi.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You need to go into the setting for each app and select how you wish then to be updated. For example, Playstore gives the options to update over Wi-Fi only, at any time or not at all

Kam B

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Oh, you must talk about the "mobile data" button that was in the quick setting button on notification panel, right? Well, it's gone. :( They took it off on the recent update 4.3 .. but you could get this done by going to:

Settings > on the connections tab, press on data usage > check or uncheck the box "mobile data"

Check to use your data. This will enable you to receive notifications when you are NOT connected to a wifi.

Uncheck to disable the usage of your data. So you will get notifications ONLY when you are connected to a wifi.

I know it was easier when it was simply in the quick setting buttons.. I don�t know why they took it down either but anyways

Hopefully this will help you!

Settings, mobile date and uncheck Google services to make it work! Easy !

Jason Messinger

Apr 16, 2018
Visit site
I think I fixed this issue!!! This cost me hours of my life that I will never get back. I was going insane trying to figure out what was going on, and I'm not sure about you guys but I found literally hundreds of instances of this issue on the internet. Seems to be a major defect.

HOWEVER I was able to fix the problem for myself! Hopefully this works for everyone. The initial issue was that I had gone through my data usage and restricted a ton of apps from using background data to attempt to conserve data, but when I turned the restricted background data off for these apps the notifications never came again like I expected them to...

The culprit is/was the "Google Play services" app. I didn't think to turn this apps restricted background data off again because I only really wanted the notifications to come from the big apps anyways (instagram, facebook, snapchat, Hangouts, theScore, etc.). As soon as I turned OFF restricted background data, I received all my notifications on my mobile network (no wifi). I don't know how or why Google Play services controls basically all notifications but I guess that's how it is. My suggestion is to check that Google Play services background data is NOT restricted, and otherwise to go through every single app and be absolutely sure the restricted data is not on.

Cheers! Good luck

Thank you so much, this fixed my issue. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with my phone, only to find out it was some stupid setting hidden away in a place I would have never looked!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non