Imei blacklisted

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
[*]Seek a lawyer for small claims. ( Not everyone's cup of tea. )
Paying for a single hour of an attorney's time will cost more than the phone is worth.

Small claims courts were created for people to handle disputes on their own. They exist so that people can seek redress in situations where the cost of hiring a lawyer would exceed the value of their claim. The judges in small claims court are very lenient; in other words, they ignore the law and do whatever the heck they want. Small claims court is like a zoo compared to a regular court, lol!

Anyhow, many times all you have to do is file a claim and have the person served and they get so scared they pay up. Or they never answer the complaint or don't show up in court and you get a default judgment. Judges get mad when people who are properly served ignore the complaint or don't show up in court and many judges will award you whatever you ask for in a default judgment and leave it up to the party that didn't show up to contest that award.

Now collecting on that judgment is another story all together!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It does suck there are people like this out there... Very wrong and just plain mean to do.

This is why I've never bought used phones.. I'd rather cough up the extra cash by saving longer or whichever so I don't have to run into headaches like this.

Hope you can get it resolved OP. I'd personally do the eBay option of listing it and saying the IMEI is blacklisted if I was in your shoes.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This is why I've never bought used phones.. I'd rather cough up the extra cash by saving longer or whichever so I don't have to run into headaches like this.
I would buy off of ebay from established sellers or swappa but not off of craig's list.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would buy off of ebay from established sellers or swappa but not off of craig's list.

Yeah I got friends who do it.. I just personally can't. Store bought means it's always good to go.. And if it isn't.. It would be my fault :).

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If he pays off the phone, then t mobile will unblock it. But he is the only one that can pay it off. T-Mobile won't let anyone else but the original owner pay off the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys for future reference.

Whenever you buy a phone off somebody off craigslist, have them meet you at the corporate carrier store. For example as what happen here, I would have met the person at TMobile and ask them what the situation is on the phone. The instant they say the imei is clean but still on payment plan stay far away or demand the seller to pay it off.

If they aren't willing to meet you at the carrier store, that is your first sign to stay away.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Guys for future reference.

Whenever you buy a phone off somebody off craigslist, have them meet you at the corporate carrier store. For example as what happen here, I would have met the person at TMobile and ask them what the situation is on the phone. The instant they say the imei is clean but still on payment plan stay far away or demand the seller to pay it off.

If they aren't willing to meet you at the carrier store, that is your first sign to stay away.

Good advice.

gdub520

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
i know this post is a couple months old. i have same problem, brought galaxy s3 from reseller in a mall (not a swapmeet). bought phone for 300 in sept '13, phone went belly up on my during my commute to work one day in jan '14. after some researching on the net, realized what the problem was. had it confirmed by going on tmobile blacklist site and entered imei. went to a tmobile store and the attendant re-confirmed my fears for me. she told me that if i could find the defaulted owner and get them to pay the balance the phone could be removed from teh blacklist. since i have no way of ever doing that, i have been intending to head back to t-mo brick and mortar, or call cust serv to see if i could just pay off the balance and get my phone back. however, when i think about it, between what i paid to purchase, plus what may be owed on it, it is very possible that it would not be worth it to even try to pay off balance. at this point, i would almost rather purchase another phone from tmobile or somewhere else. i love my s3 and dont want to part with it; it may just continue to be used as my rather small wifi tablet when at home..

Noel Mccue

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
there are 2 ways to fix it one is illegal one is legal cloning an imei is illegal but replacing the mother board and getting a new eime is perfectally legal

Tomasz Andre

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem, I bought Galaxy s5 after three months he stoped working. 2x times i had sent it to officail repair- they said me BLACKLISTED.
I have all documents, papers, box, but phone doesn't work. They dont want help me/give some details beacause there is no my name and surname on a purchase agreement.

Someone have any idea what i can do? i can pay for help... they guy i had bought a phone changed the number- "the number dont exist"
If it change something the action goes in France. Greetings.

Now I have tablet :)

imeidatadotnet

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I think you need determine network/carrier phone blacklisted, then contact direct them.
You can check free at: imeidata.net/blacklist/check

Supported:
+ USA: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS
+ Canada: Telus
+ Sweden: Telenor
+ Japan: Softbank, AU KDDI

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Didn't think about the motherboard idea. Nice but by the time you replace the motherboard its probably the same as a new phone or ver little difference price wise.

bubleeshaark

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Is that really true? You can use an activated TMo SIM card on a blacklisted phone?

Much like the OP, I purchased a Note 4 over craigslist that is currently being financed. I am at the mercy of the seller to continue financing it, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress