How can I reset my Galaxy S4 without seeing the screen?

adngo84

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4 broken screen HELP!

I have dropped my S4, and broken the LCD. I would like to sell the broken S4, but the only way I know how to reset the phone is to see the screen?

1) does anyone know who to reset phone without seeing the screen?
2) if I remove the SIM, but do not reset phone...what are the risks I run if the person I sell to repairs the screen? Will they be able to retrieve my information or data without the sim?

THANKS

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 broken screen HELP!

I have dropped my S4, and broken the LCD. I would like to sell the broken S4, but the only way I know how to reset the phone is to see the screen?

1) does anyone know who to reset phone without seeing the screen?
2) if I remove the SIM, but do not reset phone...what are the risks I run if the person I sell to repairs the screen? Will they be able to retrieve my information or data without the sim?

THANKS

I would recommend connecting it up to a PC and use samsung kies software to factory reset the phone. That way u are guaranteed that the phone is wiped

adngo84

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I would recommend connecting it up to a PC and use samsung kies software to factory reset the phone. That way u are guaranteed that the phone is wiped

Thanks for your response. I have downloaded Kies, and see a way to restore my phone, but not to reset to factory settings? Any advice? Thanks.

the coco 1

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

What if you want to get info like contacts and pictures
my inner and outer screen is broken and i didn't sync for the month yet, cause my pc went for repair. So i had to re-install my programs, then my phone fell :'(

messilionel10

May 24, 2015
Visit site

i have my display damaged.. i want to format it.. but i cannot.. even samsung kies is of no help.. as it says that it cannot be initialised... please help.. i have to wipe entire data out of my phone.

messilionel10

May 24, 2015
Visit site
how can i reset my Galaxy S4 without seeing the screen?

i have my display damaged.. i want to format it.. but i cannot.. even samsung kies is of no help.. as it says that it cannot be initialised... please help.. i have to wipe entire data out of my phone.

BloodFox88

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
i tried the answers here and the internet did not work, I had a gesture lock and a broken/unresponsive screen and tried every way i could find...

- kies: phone locking caused problems
android device manager: able to lock phone but made using adb more difficult because there was no way in device manager to unlock phone
- pc: without undoing the lock it will not show files on pc
- adb: used adb pull to copy data off of phone!
- other: there are programs that could probably solve this but you need to have installed and configured before hand with working phone screen.

..nothing will work....until...................................

what worked : (getting data and clearing phone) :
- usb debugging turned on
- installing sdk
- using command prompt to use adb and the sdk to pull and retrive data.
on galaxy s4, path was through sdcard first
ex: adb pull /sdcard/pictures c:/destinationFolder

how to reset phone:
- luckily i had geek squad and received a new phone before i sent back my broken phone. this allowed me to find out how to factory reset the phone.
on my galaxy s4 was:
- go to recovery menu: from phone off,...........hold down (vol UP) + (Home button) + (Power Button)...........wait for vibrate and hold for 4-5 seconds after to allow to initialize.
- release buttons, you should be in recovery menu by now, press (vol Down) 4 times to scroll to factory reset option.
- press (power button) to select option, and then you should be in confirmation screen.
- press (vol Down) 7 times to select yes option.
- press (power button) to confirm selection. the phone "should" now be erasing all data. should - the screen is broken and had no feedback since the first step
- wait ~~5 minutes depending on how much stuff you had on it
- when the phone is done it should take you back to the main recovery menu with the reboot option selected! press power button.
- if the phone does not reboot then you might still be in menu and you need to press power again (which i had to do)
- my phone then reset. i then reconnected to pc and verified data was gone by trying to pull my pictures again using adb pull....

alas, it was erased.....able to beat phone return deadline (30 days) using geek squad.
- if you do not have geek squad to get new phone to test reset on, then you can use a willing friends phone (they will lose all data) or maybe go to phone store and see to reset theirs?.

good luck and god speed! :-$

hope this helps,
joshuaCarlos.com

Last edited:

scarleee

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
hey, i tried using these steps to reset my galaxy s4 . my screen is blank but my phone does turn on . when im following the steps, it says to have my phone off and press the three buttons but whenever i hold down those three buttons and try to follow the steps, my phone ends up turning on and i believe ruining the process of the steps to reset my phone. any advice for why this is happening ? im just trying to reset my phone .

scarleee

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
hey, i tried using these steps to reset my galaxy s4 . my screen is blank but my phone does turn on . when im following the steps, it says to have my phone off and press the three buttons but whenever i hold down those three buttons and try to follow the steps, my phone ends up turning on and i believe ruining the process of the steps to reset my phone. any advice for why this is happening ? im just trying to reset my phone .

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank You BloodFox88 ! This really helped. but one small mistake in your steps.
After pressing hold down (vol UP) + (Home button) + (Power Button)...
in the first recovery menu , press (vol Down) 3 TIMES To scroll to factory reset option. (not 4 times)

found this after many trail and error to reset my NOTE 2.(S4 too has the same recovery menu)