Factory Reset issue

alyssai

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, new here and looking for advice on how to save my S4 from replacement and my wallets loss of the 99 dollar replacement fee with sprint insurance.

I recently acquired a virus on my S4, took it into radioshack where I purchased it and they had a heck of a time getting it to factory reset. Since then it has been fine. However, today it randomly rebooted and when it restarted it began updating all my apps, including the one that caused the virus (I believe). So i quickly did a factory reset on my own using the volume up, power, and home button. All went well, but now that the phone is on again and trying to get everything in line, my dropdown bar has been showing "preparing network" for about 40 mins and I can make a call but texts won't send. Additionally, my internet app crashes every time I open it. What is also strange is that after my factory reset, my contacts appeared right away, without me recovering them from gmail or my sd card, which may be normal, but it just doesn't seem like they should be there. Any ideas?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, new here and looking for advice on how to save my S4 from replacement and my wallets loss of the 99 dollar replacement fee with sprint insurance.

I recently acquired a virus on my S4, took it into radioshack where I purchased it and they had a heck of a time getting it to factory reset. Since then it has been fine. However, today it randomly rebooted and when it restarted it began updating all my apps, including the one that caused the virus (I believe). So i quickly did a factory reset on my own using the volume up, power, and home button. All went well, but now that the phone is on again and trying to get everything in line, my dropdown bar has been showing "preparing network" for about 40 mins and I can make a call but texts won't send. Additionally, my internet app crashes every time I open it. What is also strange is that after my factory reset, my contacts appeared right away, without me recovering them from gmail or my sd card, which may be normal, but it just doesn't seem like they should be there. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums.
I am discussing this with some fellow Ambassadors at the moment.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Check in your Settings/ Backup and Reset and disable the option to RESTORE your Google apps/settings. This should stop it from installing your old apps and hopefully whatever app is causing your problem.

alyssai

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to do that and now it won't even let me into my settings, I get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." So now it seems like its the virus blocking me from stopping it? I can't download any new apps, and random messages that say, "Unfortunately, samsung music, youtube, google tv, etc has stopped." even after I haven't tried to open them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it was a virus? Maybe somehow some system file got corrupt.

Have you asked Sprint to see if this would be covered under the warranty?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

alyssai

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure it was a virus? Maybe somehow some system file got corrupt.

Have you asked Sprint to see if this would be covered under the warranty?

No I'm not sure, that is just what radioshack suggested. Can I call someone to find out if it is under warranty? The company or the store?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No I'm not sure, that is just what radioshack suggested. Can I call someone to find out if it is under warranty? The company or the store?

Warranty is one year from date of purchase. The s4 isn't even a year old. Call Sprint directly

888-211-4727

alyssai

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

alyssai

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I called sprint yesterday to clarify my warranty and they gave me the location of the nearest repair store. However, I had to go to work for 6 hrs before I could make it to the store. I just kept my s4 in my pocket with mobile data on and after about an hour of inactivity it began updating my network and everything else and now it's running great. I'm using it to type this post now! Perhaps it just needed time.. A lot of time! It took about 4 hours for it to get back to normal..

So now my question is.. what if this happens again and I run into this same problem. Would you all recommend I replace it regardless of how long it takes it to reboot after I reset it?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I called sprint yesterday to clarify my warranty and they gave me the location of the nearest repair store. However, I had to go to work for 6 hrs before I could make it to the store. I just kept my s4 in my pocket with mobile data on and after about an hour of inactivity it began updating my network and everything else and now it's running great. I'm using it to type this post now! Perhaps it just needed time.. A lot of time! It took about 4 hours for it to get back to normal..

So now my question is.. what if this happens again and I run into this same problem. Would you all recommend I replace it regardless of how long it takes it to reboot after I reset it?

If it does, I would take it in.
Glad it got sorted out. See you around the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised that Sprint won't just send you a replacement. But glad to hear that it got sorted out. Definitely if it happens again, take it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana