Samsung Galaxy S4 lock screen flicker

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
First off, this is my first Android Central post, been enjoying Android so much! :D

Now, to the business at hand...
Today I flashed (Sammobile) the KitKat update onto my S4, everything is going great, phone runs silky smooth and battery life has been good so far. I've noticed this little bug when I unlock my S4. Say I'm in my settings menu and I unlock my phone, I'll get see my home screen wallpaper fade out for a split second and then the settings menu will be displayed. This happens all over my phone, it's tiny and causes no harm, but it's really annoying.

My bit of testing resulted in the fact that when I play music, be it on the native music player or Google Play Music, I will get KitKat's updated music control lockscreen widget. When I unlock my phone, the wallpaper flickering is gone. I have different wallpaper for my lockscreen.

My "setup":
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 32GB
Firmware Build Number: KOT49H.I9500XXUFNB4

I did quite a few Google searches and can't find anything related. If anyone else is suffering from this, then please drop a comment, I would like to know if this is a bug or not.. If you have a solution though, that'd be friggen awesome!

Anyway, thanks. :)

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Do you mean the wallpaper just disappear and reappears when you unlock and were in an app? Or it actually fades in?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the welcome messages. :)

It's a bit difficult to explain, I'll try and record some footage of it a bit later to better explain my situation.

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't make a video yet, but I linked it to Window Animation Scale in the debugging menu.

The bug seems to be with timing as the home screen wallpaper always loads first, and then followed by whatever was on the screen before the phone was locked.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I also checked around and didn't find someone else with the same problem.

Since you think is the Window Animation, did you lower the timing for it from 1 to 0.5?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I also checked around and didn't find someone else with the same problem.

Since you think is the Window Animation, did you lower the timing for it from 1 to 0.5?

I have OCD issues, so I would notice lowering the window animation to 0.5. I have figured out that this glitch only happens when your lock and home screen wallpapers differ. This is a KitKat issue in my opinion because I had different wallpapers on 4.3 as well.

Sent from my Exynos Powered S4.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have OCD issues, so I would notice lowering the window animation to 0.5. I have figured out that this glitch only happens when your lock and home screen wallpapers differ. This is a KitKat issue in my opinion because I had different wallpapers on 4.3 as well.

Weird, but I don't think it's kitkat. I have the official update to 4.4.2 from Sprint and Samsung and have different wallpapers too without problems like yours. :confused::what:

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Weird, but I don't think it's kitkat. I have the official update to 4.4.2 from Sprint and Samsung and have different wallpapers too without problems like yours. :confused::what:

It's quite annoying, I can't have 2 wallpapers without it bugging me a lot... I flashed India's first bug fix update yesterday, and I must add that KitKat is super awesome now. (Except for the bug I'm suffering from..)

rsfonseca

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem when unlocking the screen, it happens a little fade with zoom

watch the video

It is not very perceptible but annoying

TowersVault

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Yours looks to be okay. That's how mine and all the GS4s I've ever seen unlock.
That's not a bug. Unless all of them have it.

Mine is a bit worse, still haven't gotten to record some footage since I only have potato that I can record it on. :-\

I'm gonna try and flash the newest bugfix update (I9500XXUFNE4) onto my GS4, I'm only experiencing the lock screen wallpaper flicker with the current firmware (I9500XXUFNC1) I have, no other bugs, so I'm still deciding if it's worth it...

reubenmtb

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I believe I have found a fix for this issue, go to settings>my device>display and then scroll down until you see the "Auto adjust screen tone" option and un-tick the box. Hope this helps!