Update on the battery killer MDNSD!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I installed the AVG Antivirus app on my phone and it did not find or delete the msnsd file that appears in my battery use app and has shown up using up to 30% of my battery!

I contacted AVG to see if they had more information about this malware! This is part of their reply:
"The file on your device (mdnsd) is related to Mozilla Firefox app and it is a bug in the Firefox app. We suggest you to uninstall Firefox app and check for the situation again."

I checked on the Firefox support forum and found out they have a new version due out on December 15 that does not contain this file! If you are really having a battery problem I suggest you delete Firefox and use another browser until Firefox gets this straightened out! I am not having a problem with this file at this time but it does come and go and uses different amounts of battery when present!

The other solutions I found with a GOOGLE search require your phone be rooted to delete this file. I have not found a reliable way to root the S-4 that is running the upgrade to 5.0.1 Lollipop OS! Something about the bootloader in the new OS makes root difficult!

Dingydroid

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled Firefox, but mdnsd was still in system/bin.
So Firefox has nothing to do with it.
I have root access so I unchecked the execute permissions to see if it helps.
The thing is that it uses a lot of battery for a while and then you don't see it for weeks.
My thought is that it is some Chinese addware part, but I don't know for sure.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have found a lot of misinformation about this file and it seems no one knows for sure what it is or where it comes from! No one has claimed credit for creating this file that I have been able to find! The last few times I have checked my battery usage it has not been present!
Please let us know if anyone has any real verified information about this file!

NewArtDroid

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just saw this on my Android battery usage, and I have never installed FireFox.

I was able to get rid of it by turning off my phone, charging it to full off, and then turning it back on. 24 hours, no sign of this mdnsd

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87