Unresponsive Galaxy S4, even after repair.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Before I go into this I will admit that the seemingly dead phone is my fault, it had been passed down a bunch and my brother had left the charging port pretty damaged, the phone would only charge if you got the charger in a specific angle. There was a common issue of the charger also shorting the phone out if you accidentally nudged it while charging or if you didn't get that specific angle.

I couldn't afford a new charging port for a while so I had to put up with it, I'd go through several spare batteries of my brother's since the dodgy charging would wear them out quickly, and the battery life was awful but I eventually fixed the charging port recently and installed a new one.

I also bought a new battery just to be safe. Now, the phone had been shorted and apparently dead for a few weeks, but it had entered this state plenty of times before, completely unresponsive for days until one day it decides to come back to life, so I wasn't worried.

But now that it's not only fixed and has a new, fully charged battery, it refuses to respond to any input.

I've already tried charging it for a good while and hitting the power button, I've tried draining any excess charge from the phone after popping the battery out, I've cleaned the gold contacts, plugged it into my PC and attempted to boot it in different modes - but the phone refuses to show any signs of life so that's a bit futile.

I know it could be a fried motherboard due to all of the shorting, but I've had two specks of life from the phone so I'm not giving up yet.

The new battery lets it charge for a few seconds, the charging symbol appears on screen and holds for about 10 seconds before the phone dies and won't do that again even if I replace the battery and try to charge it again. I left it a few days and stuck in on charge once more, where it responded as above, but again, once the screen goes black it won't do it again.

Any ideas? My current placeholder phone has a swelling battery, is steadily breaking, and a whopping 2gb of storage that not even an SD card can fix - so yeah, I kind of want my Galaxy S4 back up and running.

Ibuprophen

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Before I go into this I will admit that the seemingly dead phone is my fault,.........
This looks like a combination of the Power Button (that appears to be going at a slow rate) and the Micro USB Port.

The Galaxy S4 has a Motherboard located at the top of the device (where the power button is Micro Soldered to) and a USB board at the bottom (where the USB Port is).

You may likely need to replace the USB board that isn't very expensive without having to worry about redoing the whole device as to the carrier and such.

The following link is a great place for instructions (with pictures) for replacing the USB Board.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+USB+Board+Replacement/16542

Good Luck! :)

~Ibuprophen

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana