Galaxy S5: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: HUGE Disappointment -- Samsung TOTALLY Dropped The Ball

I like what I'm seeing in the S5 MUCH more than the S4. To me, it seems like they ARE listening to their customers, just not necessarily to nerds in forums. But I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment that despite the brand recognition of the Samsung Galaxy design language, I'd like to see an evolution into something that does abandon buttons and some of the other ancient aspects of the software, etc. Either way, I really want to see this thing's UI and how it handles software performance (not benchmarks, actual side by side with the G2, the Nexus, the X, etc) before saying whether or not they're on the right track. Nokia's device was garbage (IMO), this one isn't ready for the bin yet and it might easily be a top 10 device.

There is a good reason Samsung's market share is simply the best. They don't disappoint the average consumer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

Yes. They are pathetic because you didn't get what you want.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I really like the S5. The only way you can be let down is if you were taking rumors as facts. Rumors are rumors, not facts. Even though a lot are claiming this to be an incremental upgrade its a pretty large one.

Water resistant and dust resistant are big themselves. Finally the ability to use a smartphone and not have to baby it, enjoy your phone. Fingerprint reader and the file locking feature, huge in business, I would use this daily. The heart rate monitor is cool but I don't know many people that will use it. The design, plastic..... It's Samsung why would you expect anything else?

I think it's very cool that Samsung still offers external SD cards and removable batteries, very few phones have that.

Wireless charging is another awesome thing. You think ehhhh I'll never use that, but once you actually do use it you'll see how convenient it is.

The gear, cool but I still think it's too big of a wearable. The fit on the guys wrist seemed flat and not very curved at all which I think would feel awkward. If these are priced at 300 I don't think they'll sell, people have used smartphones without them and I don't see many trying something new at a price higher than their phone.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I think you were expecting too much, OP.

However, I am pretty much disappointed with this phone. Doesn't seem to have any difference from the last model whatsoever on first glance. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, just not for me, and IMO, doesn't seem to fit Samsung's "The Next Big Thing" tagline, especially when rivals such as HTC and LG are cooking up more interesting phones.

I personally think anyone with an S4 or Note 3 should just keep their handsets.

May 3, 2013
Visit site

0REocoS.jpg

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

They are saving the best for the next note as they always do.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Saw that too. Surprised they only mocked the S5 for using that back but not the 2012 Nexus 7. Heck, the Nexus was PRAISED for using the textured back.

Its probably not the same textured back. Plus, the original nexus 7 didn't come in band-aid gold

Posted via Android Central App

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

And what happened to the 3 gigs of ram? That was rumored to be almost a dead certainty.

And no Snapdragon 805 chipset?

And no optical image stabalization?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

I would have upgraded simply for a better battery.

Sincerely,
An amazing S4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And what happened to the 3 gigs of ram? That was rumored to be almost a dead certainty.

And no Snapdragon 805 chipset?

And no optical image stabalization?

Not sure about RAM, I never saw anything saying what the S5 had for sure in it, just a lot of speculation. The 805 isn't going to be ready for a few months (estimated mid to end of Q2), so if they want to start shipping devices at the beginning of Q2 they have to use a processor that's available much earlier in order to be able to use it for testing, etc. prior to release. The 801 is essentially an 800 marginally on steroids and it's a huge upgrade from the S600 used in the S4.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

....Same horrible physical home button (ughhh), Basically the same capacity battery, a couple more megapixel camera, no improvement to the screen, it's significantly larger and heavier with only a 0.1" bump in screen size. No metal body as had long been rumored, same cheap s*** plastic look and feel as other Galaxy phones. Not a thing to really "move the needle." No 4000Ma battery, no optical image stabalization, no ultra HD screen, etc. In short, a serious piece of s***.
Samsung, you're going to get you *** handed to you by Apple.
This is just pathetic.

All that is coming on the NOTE 4... :D

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I really like the S5. The only way you can be let down is if you were taking rumors as facts. Rumors are rumors, not facts. Even though a lot are claiming this to be an incremental upgrade its a pretty large one.

Water resistant and dust resistant are big themselves. Finally the ability to use a smartphone and not have to baby it, enjoy your phone. Fingerprint reader and the file locking feature, huge in business, I would use this daily. The heart rate monitor is cool but I don't know many people that will use it. The design, plastic..... It's Samsung why would you expect anything else?

I think it's very cool that Samsung still offers external SD cards and removable batteries, very few phones have that.

Wireless charging is another awesome thing. You think ehhhh I'll never use that, but once you actually do use it you'll see how convenient it is.

The gear, cool but I still think it's too big of a wearable. The fit on the guys wrist seemed flat and not very curved at all which I think would feel awkward. If these are priced at 300 I don't think they'll sell, people have used smartphones without them and I don't see many trying something new at a price higher than their phone.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

Being the owner of the original Gear, and liking big time what it delivers, I am getting Gear 2 on Day 1, not Day 2, but Day 1... :D

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There is a good reason Samsung's market share is simply the best. They don't disappoint the average consumer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That's really the bottom line. Give the people what they want. I know some people want more, but that's just life. Sure, they can put in a larger screen, huge 4000mah battery, but that would make it much larger and heavier, which wouldn't appeal to most people. They also don't want to cannibalize on the note sales. Ultra hd would just be a battery drainer, it would not make a difference for most people.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

That's really the bottom line. Give the people what they want. I know some people want more, but that's just life. Sure, they can put in a larger screen, huge 4000mah battery, but that would make it much larger and heavier, which wouldn't appeal to most people. They also don't want to cannibalize on the note sales. Ultra hd would just be a battery drainer, it would not make a difference for most people.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I think this is the crux of the matter - people say they want something new, but when it comes to it, what we end up liking is more of the same. Just look at how popular sequels and prequels, etc., are: Star Wars; X-Men; Spiderman, Superman. They're all more of the same.... This isn't to say some will be disappointed, but I suspect Samsung will sell an awful lot of S5s