Charger Cover Broke

Tiny400

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if the contact chargers work THROUGH an otterbox defender case?
It will be no use if I have to take the phone out of the case to charge it!
Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Katy Ptaszynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've had mine less than 2 weeks. I've only had to charge it a handful of times, and the cover popped off over the weekend. I tried to re-attach it and it won't attach again. I haven't been rough with this phone at all. In fact, I don't like the phone very much at all so I've been avoiding using it.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine broke off today just like the photo attached. I'm afraid that it is no longer water proof.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine broke off today just like the photo attached. I'm afraid that it is no longer water proof.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Push the cover back in firmly and it should hold without the attachment link. That link is only necessary so you don't lose the cover when opening it to charge.

When the link is attached, it should not be twisted up or down. It should be in a parallel position to the side of the plug without tension. Twisting the link up or down will break it.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My cover broke after 8 days. What broke was the plastic bit retaining the cover to the phone. I cannot put the cover back on as the plastic bit stops it from securing. Spoke to Samsung who said that I will have to send it in for repair and that there might be a charge for fixing it - not too happy about that. It looks very simple to fix but I bet they wipe my phone completely and then spend 30 seconds replacing the broken cover with a new one. Not impressed.

Anyway, I'll be looking to charge the battery without removing that cover as I only opened it the 8th time and it snapped without hardly any force being applied. At this rate I'll need about 45 of these covers throughout the life of the phone!!!

20140422_104203.jpg

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I literally just tried to break the charging flap off by twisting it and pulling on it at best buy and they wouldn't break. I have to admit, it feels quite sturdy. How rough are you guys actually being with this? I am having a hard time thinking they just "randomly" break off with everyday use

I also keyed it pretty good and there were no scratches on the screen; however, the camera lens and plastic bezel didn't fare as well since there's no gorilla glass protecting the camera lens and the bezel is just painted plastic

-Sent from Tapatalk

Lol at using a floor model.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol at using a floor model.

lol..id never do that to my own...and i told the samsung rep about how people are breaking them and he told me to try to break it off the floor models....and I couldn't....

im sure if i took pliers to it, it would break..but normal every day "roughness" did not break it..including twisting it and pulling

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, all I did was open mine 8 times in 8 days and it broke. So it can be done. Maybe there is a duff batch out there because I thought mine was fragile before it broke.

Singo59

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
had my s3 for 2 years didn't break it had this phone less than 2 weeks and the cover string snaps not very good considering its dust and waterproof resistant

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had my s5 since the day before launch day and it hasn't broken yet ( fingers crossed).

bestraincloud

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have a different problem. This is my second s5. The first one was faulty. This one appears to be fine however the charging flap doesn't securely close. The slightest pressure at the opposite end and it pops open. The tiny little hook on the inside of the flap doesn't seem to be holding firm. I know it's not right because it was very firm on my previous s5.

Any one else have this problem or am I the unluckiest s5 owner going

lebreton566

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Same issue. The little hook that latches the cover into place was peeling off from the base of the cover.

What I did was put a tiny dot of superglue at the bottom of the hook (that is attached to the cover) to prevent it from wiggling out of place.

Now the little rubber hook is firmly in place and won't budge.

Sounds like your hook is having the same issue. See if the hook is wiggling when you touch it. If it is, secure it with glue. If not, you could be having a different issue.
I know it's stupid to have to bust out super glue to a brand new phone...but it does work, very well. Good luck.

bestraincloud

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same issue. The little hook that latches the cover into place was peeling off from the base of the cover.

What I did was put a tiny dot of superglue at the bottom of the hook (that is attached to the cover) to prevent it from wiggling out of place.

Now the little rubber hook is firmly in place and won't budge.

Sounds like your hook is having the same issue. See if the hook is wiggling when you touch it. If it is, secure it with glue. If not, you could be having a different issue.
I know it's stupid to have to bust out super glue to a brand new phone...but it does work, very well. Good luck.

Phone is being replaced tommorow. If new one has same issue it's going back for an xperia z2. Cheers for the tip though!

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
lol..id never do that to my own...and i told the samsung rep about how people are breaking them and he told me to try to break it off the floor models....and I couldn't....

im sure if i took pliers to it, it would break..but normal every day "roughness" did not break it..including twisting it and pulling

The samsung rep told you to try and break it off the floor model?

Yeah...I don't believe you.

lol.

Tiffyish

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My cover broke after 8 days. What broke was the plastic bit retaining the cover to the phone. I cannot put the cover back on as the plastic bit stops it from securing. Spoke to Samsung who said that I will have to send it in for repair and that there might be a charge for fixing it - not too happy about that. It looks very simple to fix but I bet they wipe my phone completely and then spend 30 seconds replacing the broken cover with a new one. Not impressed.

Anyway, I'll be looking to charge the battery without removing that cover as I only opened it the 8th time and it snapped without hardly any force being applied. At this rate I'll need about 45 of these covers throughout the life of the phone!!!

View attachment 114198

Mine is broken in the EXACT same way. I've only charged it twice; had it since Monday night. I wasn't even charging it, I just needed to connect it to my PC to sync my apps. I don't even have the little piece right now. How frustrating! It's so fragile.

Tiffyish

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The s 3 doesn't have a charger cover.

They didn't say that. I also had my S3 for 2 years and have never broken it. The cover of the charging port for my S5 broke off less than 48 hours of owning it. I'm not at ALL rough with it -- it seems the glue that was holding it in place is just incredibly weak.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The samsung rep told you to try and break it off the floor model?

Yeah...I don't believe you.

lol.

you don't have to believe me and i can care less...lol

but i told the rep about the issues and even showed him this thread with pics..and he said go for it..try and break it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty