not getting gmail notifications on my s5

tmurray315

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So i just got the s5 yestrday and i cant get my gmail notifications to pop up. auto sync is turned on, notifications are turned on can anyone help me with this.

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Had a thread about this early. Sometimes they would work, sometimes not. I tried EVERYTHING. I uninstalled the updates for the app and it seems to work OK at the moment. Ok, as in I get the email a few min after I send it. Good enough I suppose.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So i just got the s5 yestrday and i cant get my gmail notifications to pop up. auto sync is turned on, notifications are turned on can anyone help me with this.

Reset your gmail app and Google services framework, the next time you open a Google app it should an you for the account and other stuff, restart and send some test emails to see what happens, if that doesn't fix it, forget about return it just rest to factory and begin again, it must work then.

Alan Bosher

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi

you need to set up notifications for each of your gmail tabs. Go into settings and click on your email address. Click on manage labels then select "Primary" then select label notifications. Do this for any other labels that you want to receive notifications for e.g. Social or Promotions.
Hope that helps

Cheers

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So, I was having the same problem.

I'd been looking around and inadvertently figured it out but reading someone else's similar issue on a completely other device.

Figured out I was only not receiving notifications when wi-fi was disconnected (at work, I feel like the 4G LTE connection is better than our internet connection, so I been keeping it off) and I was in power saving mode (not ultra, although I'd imagine that would be the same problem). As soon as I turned off power save I began receiving my notifications, whether I am am on wi-fi or not. Kinda makes sense when you think about the reasoning behind that.

Anyway, hope that helps. :)

PS - Alan Bosner - I followed your advice on the labels and I still wasn't getting notifications until I figured out the above. NOW, that turns out to be a big help, as I will receive ALL email notifications. Prior to reading this thread, I only had my "primary" label set up. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Arcadias1795

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I turn off ultra power saving mode, I receive no push notifications for apps that I KNOW would have given me a notification. I use UPSM at night, and I'll wake up and turn it off, but I always have to reboot to see my push notifications, and even then I'm lucky to get my Gmails. Has anyone else had issues with Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook, etc not working AFTER Ultra Power Saving Mode has been turned off?

anon(8903868)

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I turn off ultra power saving mode, I receive no push notifications for apps that I KNOW would have given me a notification. I use UPSM at night, and I'll wake up and turn it off, but I always have to reboot to see my push notifications, and even then I'm lucky to get my Gmails. Has anyone else had issues with Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook, etc not working AFTER Ultra Power Saving Mode has been turned off?

So I had the same problem, and thought it was just the UPSM but apparently not because even when off/after rebooting don't get any notifications for any apps with the following exceptions: Gmail and messages work 100% of the time & Facebook and Twitter are hit or miss. But i don't get ANY other push notifications (Snapchat, ESPN, etc) unless the app happens to be open at the exact time the application is pushed to my phone (if the app is opened later on after one should have been received it does not come in upon opening). I've Uninstalled and reinstalled all the apps, checked the notification settings, and made sure data/background sync is on and nothing has worked. Needless to say, Verizon customer service was less than helpful when I called.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or been able to fix it? I'd really appreciate any suggestions bc I'm at a loss. Thanks!

ernch

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I found this solution on another thread and it worked for me when I was having the same problem after doing the latest update.

go to settings > data usage > under the mobile tab .. click on the menu button (touch) > select Auto Sync data

jdoherty

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This problem has been really bothering me on my Galaxy S5 (Verizon Lollipop and even before). I have now been receiving e-mail for an hour (with numerous tests) so I think I finally have it fixed. I've tried numerous suggestions short of factory reset. The only one that fixed it for me was:

Settings
Applications
Application Manager
(All Tab)
select Google App
(Clear Cache)
then select Google Account Manager
(Clear Cache)
then select Gmail
(Clear Data and Cache)
then rebooted phone
default e-mail app and gmail FINALLY both started receiving push notifications within a minute even when screen is off (little blue light finally working)

James Gund

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
So far, this seems to have solved it: :):):)
Settings
Applications
Application Manager
(All Tab)
select Google App
(Clear Cache)
then select Google Account Manager
(Clear Cache)
then select Gmail
(Clear Data and Cache)
then rebooted phone
default e-mail app and gmail FINALLY both started receiving push notifications within a minute even when screen is off (little blue light finally working)

Keeping my fingers and my manmeat crossed... O:)

HoserOmega

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I got the gmail thing worked out.

Open gmail app.

top left hand corner has 3 bars. tap on it

scroll to the bottom and hit settings. the gear thing

click on your email address.

make sure that the box beside notifications is checked.

Under that there is Inbox sound & vibrate.

click on that.

at the bottom, there is a setting that says Notify for every message.

click on that and get the blue check mark in the box.

Problem solved.