Factory reset and internal sd memory

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I updated my sprint s5 to ND2. Because I was rooted I unrooted first and did a factory reset just to play safe. Before that I backed up with titanium all files anticipating an easy restore.
When I tried restoring I realized that the factory reset I did in stock recovery erased all data in my internal sd, and thus also my backed up data file from titanium.
This surprised me because with my galaxy s3, when doing a factory reset I always still had back my internal memory including titanium.
So what's the deal? Does a factory reset format and erase the internal sd memory or is there a setting somewhere to avoid that?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that the point of a factory reset... To reset your phone to factory settings aka fresh out the box. Idk what you thought would happen...

Sent from a Galaxy 5 light years away

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that the point of a factory reset... To reset your phone to factory settings aka fresh out the box. Idk what you thought would happen...

Sent from a Galaxy 5 light years away

Again, when doing the factory reset with my retired galaxy s3, it always reset the phone by deleting apps, settings, contacts, etc. etc. But the internal sd storage data was treated like an sd card and it wasn't reformatted. So it still kept all the files on the internal sd memory while resetting the actual phone. So I'm wondering why it's working differently than it did on the s3.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That was on and older version of Android where there was an internal SD card with KK 4.4.2 its not that way anymore.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
There are two reset options:

1. Do a long hold on the power key and a reset is offered.
2. Go to Backup and Reset under Settings and a Factory reset is offered

Are these two resets the same?